Many towns brag about their explosive growth rate, but Montross derives much of its charm from the fact that in three centuries of serving as Westmoreland's County seat, it hasn't really grown much.
Old-timers still refer to this place as the Village--as indeed they should, since the latest census lists only 314 inhabitants. The local post office delivers mail to upwards of 5,000 people in a territory loosely referred to as "The Greater Montross area".
On December 17, 1849, a petition was recorded by the General Assembly under bill #37, from some of the citizens of Westmoreland Court House to incorporate "the village at the courthouse." This bill was rejected on January 7, 1850.
Another petition was recorded on January 30, 1851 under bill #106. This petition was for the same reason as the petition of 1849. Some of the highlights of this petition were:
This bill became an Act and the Village of Westmoreland Court House was incorporated as "The Town of MONT ROSS" on February 17, 1852.
The town was, at various times, referred to as Mont Ross and Montrose.
But the time-honored boundaries of the Village extend from Chandler's Mill Pond on the western edge for approximately 2 1/2 miles to East End, a cross-roads formed by the intersection of Route 3 and Route 645.
In the center of this strip, at the sharp curve in town, lies the historic Westmoreland County Court House.
The County was established in 1653, when roads were scarce and rivers were used as "highways", so the first courthouse was located on Currioman Bay.
The present Courthouse dates from 1707, but the structure has undergone extensive rehabilitation and several additions and remodeling during the intervening years.
During much of the 18th century, the area was known simply as "Westmoreland Court House". But in 1752, a Scotch merchant named William Black settled here and called his estate "Mont Ross", after the Scottish seaport from which he sailed. And when the village was finally incorporated in the 1800's it bore the name of "Mont Ross".
George Washington, James Monroe, Robert E. Lee and other historic figures were born near Montross, and the aura of the past lingers here.
The Court House lawn has the obligatory Confederate monument, flanked by a small memorial to those who served in World Wars I and II and Korea. In 1991, a bronze bust honoring Vietnam veterans was erected on the Court House lawn by the Westmoreland County Ruritan Club. The monument has engravings of the four services and names of the Veterans from Westmoreland County. We have been notified by the Director of the Washington, D.C. Vietnam Memorial that this was the first sculptured monument in the nation to honor Vietnam War Veterans.
Above photograph courtesy of Mrs. Melanie Smallwood Brumfield.
©
Copyright 1998-2004 by Orville Ingram. All rights reserved. This site may be copied only in brief passages for research purposes and may be used for unlimited use in school work. Please credit Orvilles World in your work by the name Orvilles World and the internet address www.geocities.com/orvillei