Montross, like Dicken's Little Nell had it hard. In 1667 it was hardly a place, and that without a name. By 1673 it had been made the county seat but even this wrought no miracle except to bestow the dignity of being called Westmoreland Court House, as it was briefly referred to in the 1797 edition of the "American Gazateer". It seems that even then that title was greviously honored for in 1700 it was spoken of as being simply a place between Vauix Quarter and the Great Run, where Mr. Thomas Newton, about that time desired to build a mill.
In fact little is known of its first hundred years except that for most of that time something was constantly being done, or needed done, to the Courthouse; that it boasted two small prisons, one for felons and one for debtors the last mentioned being allowed the luxury of a fireplace, and that of a stock and pillory. Also that it had a hotel or ordinary as they were called and that John Minor probably kept.
Just when it was made a Post Officce is not known but according to records kept at the National Archives the name officially changed from Westmoreland Court House to Montross in 1752. The towns second postmaster was appointed May 14, 1796 and he succeeded Mr. Hugh Quenlin who was the first.
Two stores were at the Richmond County Road (Peach Grove Lane, 2001) across from the theatre and the other about where the Westmoreland Hatchery now stands(1953)one blacksmith shop located near the top of the Mill Hill, and a harness shop where R. F. Smallwood now resides(1953). The Methodists had built their Andrew Chapel on its present site in 1848 and the Episcopalians worshiped in an ugly, bat-infested building(where the present Westmoreland News office now is(2001)). They moved to their present location at St. James Church in 1889.