"The Virginia Herald and Fredericksburg Advertiser"
April 9, 1789
At Westmoreland Court-house, on the 23rd of April instant, will be let, to the lowest bidder, the building of a brick prison, 19 feet long and 15 wide, with a brick roof, to be lined with two inch plank, double sleepers and joists; with double doors, strong locks, bars, &c.
Richard Buckner, Sheriff. April 1st, 1789."
Where the present Westmoreland News is located used to be the original Peoples Bank of Montross. Before that this location was for the "old" St. James Episcopal Church. When this church was moved to its present location, the entire wooden structure was moved and eventually covered with brick.
At the sharp turn in town, one will find antiques, collectibles, a pizza restaurant (I recommend eating there), and a hair-styling salon.
At the left of this photograph is the building that was opened by Rufus Sanford and operated as the "Village Inn". The street -level portion was operated for white customers while the black customers used the basement portion of the building. Later the business was taken over by Mrs. Gloria Smith and operated as the "Village Inn" also. After the "Village Inn" closed the building sat empty for some years and was purchased to be operated as an antique store. The store is still run as "Jameca".
The building to the right of Angelos, in what appears to be a pink awning was at one time the post office before the new one was opened and at one time was the health department offices.
This is looking East in the center of Montross.
What appears to be the last building on the left in this photo, with the white awning, was "Marsh' Barber Shop" which was run by Everette Marsh. Mr. Marsh was also, at one time, the mayor of Montross. The next portion of the same building was at one time the "Farm Bureau" offices. These offices have now moved to the west end of Montross in a new building. The barber shop is now "River Net" internet services. The former Farm Bureau site is now the site of the law offices of George Townsend.
Where the "Hutt Law Offices" are now located, at one time, was a building known as "Waverly Shoe Store". This building has been long torn down.
The store will be located in the old P.O. building next to the Montross Market. The building has been completely fixed up as a modern shoe store. It will be known as Waverly's. The proprietor will be Mrs. Waverly E. Mothershead.
This is looking West in the center of Montross.
A few steps further is the post office, a modern brick and Carrera glass building which sits almost on the front lawn of a handsome landmark known as "the old Hutt House". The painted brick Federal period house with English basement was constructed circa 1830 by William Hutt, who was then the Clerk of Court.
Across the road from the Hutt House is Peoples Community Bank, a 20th century, colonial-style structure. Back towards town and on the same side of the street as the Bank you will pass St. James Episcopal Church consecrated in 1850.
On the curve in town is located the Montross Town Hall, in a 1926 structure originally occupied by the Bank of Montross
This site is to soon be torn down in order to eliminate the sharp curve located here. The new town hall will be located just down the road and to the east of here.
Prior to the site of the former town hall shown above there used to be a masonic lodge. It was Montross Lodge #76. Next to this lodge and in the lot presently used by Angelos Resturant was a tavern(possibly John Minors Tavern). Both appear to have been constructed of wood and they both burned about 1865. One of the town halls for Montross also used to be located in the area of the parking lot across from Angelos.
Further down the street you will pass a floral shop that used to be the old location of the drug store. Today it is Bridgets' Bouquets that began as Sanfords' Flowers and Gifts in 1954 which was begun by Bessie Sanford. Purchased by Earleane Henderson in 1979, it was bought by Bridget Guilliam in 1989. Continue on and on the left will be Peoples Drug Store of Montross. Located in the spot where there used to be a small Chevrolet car lot, the drug store has plenty of parking and has a pharmacy, and, one of the few remaining active lunch counters in the State. They are open from 8 A.M. until 3 P.M. and serves both breakfast and lunch. You can have either breakfast or lunch anytime that the counter is open. The counter is manned by Diane, Elsie, and Janice. If its good food you want, or just coffee and chat, then Peoples Drug Store is the place to visit in Montross. For just drug store purchases the Drug Store is open from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. Monday thru Saturday.
This is the third location for the drug store here in Montross. The first store was opened by Mr. Norris Lowery in 1934 at what is the former Mar-Jac Building. The second location was located at what is now the florist store. That location was opened in 1950. The third, and present location, was opened in 1989 and is now owned by Mr. Robert Burner and is operated by Mrs. Peggy Burner, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Norris Lowrey the original Peoples Drug Store of Montross founder. A second drugstore (Peoples Drug Store) was operated in the building that is now known as Wakefield Furniture. This drug store was opened by Mr. Clifford Hutt. Dr. Merrill Lynch was the pharmacist of this drugstore. This was a full service drugstore with a food counter. Mr. Norris Lowery opened Peoples Drugstore of Montross in 1934 and purchased the competition across the street about a year later. He then hired Dr. Lynch as his first pharmacist. This second drug store closed down shortly thereafter.
The new Peoples Drug Store in Montross, Virginia had its' formal opening last Thursday. The new business firm, located in a new and modern building which is heated and air-conditioned throughout, held open house for the citizens of this area on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of last week. Many prises were given away at this grand opening and large crowds of people attended to look over this new addition to the growth of Montross.
Dr. M.C. Lynch will take care of the prescription department in this store. The new store has added a larger selection of medicine, cosmetics, and all types of medical supplies and they also handle a very new line of gifts.
They have a modern soda-fountain and lunch counter and a number of booths to take care of their customers.
Since 1954 Dr. Carl Christiansen had also been the pharmacist and now Bob Burner is the present pharmasist.
This is an advertisement for Christmas specials during the 1952 Christmas Season that was run in the "Potomac Interest" by Peoples Drug Store, Montross.
In the general area across from the Drug Store a Tea Room was operated many years ago by a Mrs. Mann, who was Ms. Virginia Clapps' grandmother.
The original clerks office was located on the corner where today Wakefield furniture is located.
Local area attractions from Montross are: Westmoreland State Park, Stratford Hall Plantation, George Washington's Birthplace, Day cruises on the Rappahanock River, Day cruises to Tangier Island and Smith Island, Westmoreland Berry Farm, Public Golf Courses, many antique shops, Historic churches, fishing and hunting.
The Inn was used as a residence or boarding house until 1683, when the justices of Westmoreland County granted permission to a citizen named John Minor(probably not this inn, but a tavern located where the parking lot is across from Angelos Resturant{WEBMASTER}) to keep an "ordinary"(tavern) there, provided that he "sell or otherwise dispose of no wine, spirits, syder, or other strong liquors during the term of Ye session of court."
There are no such restrictions at today's Inn at Montross. Your hosts are Cindy Brigman and Scott Massidda, who are honor graduates of the Culinary Arts program of the Art Institute of Atlanta. With a solid grounding in French, international and regional cuisine, Cindy and Scott stand ready to provide culinary delights from heart-healthy "90s food" to good, old-fashioned, "comfort food."
So come visit Cindy and Scott soon. You'll agree that the Inn is an Extraordinary Ordinary!
Local dining facilities in the greater Montross area: Yesterdays Resturant(family dining), Inn of Montross(family dining/higher priced), Angelos Pizza(family dining), Ninos Pizza(family dining), Dairy Freeze(fast food), Driftwood(seafood), and Pilots Wharf(seafood). Driftwood and Pilots Wharf are located in Coles Point, Virginia about 20 miles from Montross.