IPSWICH CORPORATION
TRAMWAYS
Horse trams running from Cornhill to the railway station started in
1880. 1881 brought the Ipswich Tramways Act to establish the Ipswich
Tramway Company, a private enterprise. The tramway was extended from Princes Street, along Portman Road and
the upper stretch (then called Mill Street, presumably because of the
site of windmills at the top of the hill) to Barrack Corner on St
Matthews Street. This stretch was abandoned after only a few years.
There were also extensions from Cornhill
along Westgate Street and from Cornhill to
Major's Corner, St Helen's Street (the
site of our 'Tramway Place 1884' plaque shown above), Spring Road, St
John's Road, Cauldwell Hall Road to
Derby Road railway station. The tracks were extended down into the
station yard to serve special rail excursions to Felixstowe. As
mentioned above, stabling for tram horses seems to ave been provided
beside the Railway public house in Foxhall Road. Cross-town links meant
a total route mileage of 4.4 miles. Interestingly, the initial stock,
which consisted of three single-deck and six double deck cars, were
believed to have been built by the Starbuck
Car and Wagon Company of Birkenhead. Many of us might have imagined
that this very American-sounding trade name was an invention of a
certain modern coffee shop chain. Motive power was provided by a stud
of 27 horses: one for a single-deck and two for a double-deck car.
In 1900 Ipswich Town Council took over the company for £17,552
with the aim of introducing electric trams and electric lighting to the
borough. By 1902 work had started on the site of a tramway depot and
power station at Seven Acre Field (now Alderman Road/Constantine Road).
Due to very swampy conditions in this area of the borough close to the
River Gipping, a bed of concrete 40 feet square and 40 feet deep was
necessary to support the stack. This astonishing fact reminds us that,
like the massive Wet Dock
before it, the very large hole would have had to have been dug out by
hand, using pick and shovel. When we look at today's Constantine House
- the home of the original power station (later Eastern Electricity and
now housing Customer Service Direct offices which provide Suffolk
County Council and Mid-Suffolk District Council with I.T. and other
services) and the next-door Ipswich bus depot, it's sobering to
remember that they are built on an enormous sugar cube of concrete. The
recent development of Endeavour House, the Ipswich Borough Council
Offices in Russell Road and Constantine House has led to the erection
of an unsightly car park block very visible from West End Road, thus
wiping out what appeared to be a small, attractive tram shed which used
to be seen from West End Road. What a shame that this significant
building wasn't saved, perhaps the Museum of East Anglian Life could
have resited it.
The attractive power station fascade (sadly lacking any lettering), now
Constantine House, was designed by London architect C. Stanley Peach.
The powered trams began work in 1903. £11,000 had been spent on
tramways and £43,000 on street widening which changed the face of
Ipswich in certain locations (presumably the area opposite the Great
White Horse in Tavern
Street and at the top of Upper Brook Street
were opened up as part of this process. A narrow tramway guage (and,
logically, narrow tram car fleet) was chosen because of difficulties in
accomodating other traffic (pricipally horse-drawn carts and perhaps a
very early motor vehicle) either side of the tracks on the narrow roads
of old Ipswich.
The system consisted of about a mile of double track through the town
centre (Barrack Corner to Major's Corner) and the remainder was single
track with passing loops. It was extended as follows:-
Some of the cast iron poles which carried power lines for the trams are
still in place in the town, a number being reused to carry street
lighting and BT telephone cables. What happened to the tramway? The
system was difficult to
keep running during the shortages of the First and Second World Wars
and some tramcars had the ignominy of being painted grey, as the
traditional Ipswich Corporation Tramways livery couldn't be maintained.
The track and trackbed suffered damage from iron cart wheels and other
heavy vehicles and the whole system became uncomfortable (especially as
the upper deck was open to the elements), unreliable and unpopular. All
rails were lifted in the town except those outside the Police Station near Cornhill which were
covered over and remain intact today. Later, power lines were largely
kept in place to enable electric trolley buses to replace trams.
Ipswich was probably the last municipal authority in the country to
covert, in 1950, to the more popular motor buses. The last trolley bus
entered the depot at Constantine Road in 1963.
[Much of the above information came from 'Tramways of East Anglia' by
R.C. Anderson; see Reading List.]