Porticos

Architectural features fronting public buildings often provide spaces for integral lettering. The most conventional is the Bethesda Baptist Church: a chisel-style sans serif capital letterform ideally suited to the temple-like, columned portico, the pediment supported by four small columns. The building dates from 1913 and was funded by Mr Arthur Page, a Bristol lawyer, as a memorial to his mother who died in 1911 at the age of eighty-two. Bethesda was originally the name of a pool in Jerusalem, on the path of the Beth Zeta Valley, and is also known as the Sheep Pool. It is associated with healing.

A more intriguing letterface appears above the Northgate Street entrance to the County Library. This wonderfully eclectic Victorian frontage with its arches and stained glass boasts an imposing entrance. Beneath the false balcony is a circular moulded crest (see also Ipswich Board School in Argyle Street - the close-up below surely shows sea horses rampant supporting the town shield?) and below that the serif'd letterface in capitals which seems to blend medieval and art noveau influences. Given Chaucer's presence in the stained glass and the traditions upon which William Morris's Arts & Crafts Movement were based, that's about right.
-
Truly the entrance to a cathedral of knowledge, learning and reading, the gently curving lettering above the door say it all. The refurbishment of this fascia accompanied a major extension of the library buildings in the mid-nineties. The curved and decorative ceilings and fine stained glass (principally in the Lecture Hall and Reference Library's Northgate Room) have been preserved. Meanwhile, hiding round the corner in Old Foundry Road (opposite Ewers Grey-Green Coaches) are the 'Reading' and 'Lectures' entrances to the Library's Reading Rooms and Lecture Hall with attractive typefaces used on the lintels of these (now) false doorways - the entrance since refurbishment is just visible to the left of the photograph below. So, why has one got screwed-on characters and the other carved characters (repleat with full stop: always an oddity in old signs)?


Hiding in the shadows of the roof overhang on the front of the largest live venue in East Anglia, we find The Regent in St Helens Street. Partially restored in the eighties, it's certainly a cleaner fascade now, the lettering more readable. For many years this was called The Gaumont Cinema (plus a small dancehall), live music and drama being slotted between the film shows. All those years with hardly anyone noticing the lettering of the original name, reverted to since restoration, high above the entrance.

The detail in the lower part of this image shows 'THE REGENT' picked out by the setting sun. The clean clear capitals have a typically art deco feel, but shouldn't that 'G' have more of a middle bar? It reads more like 'Recent'!

Home
Copyright throughout this site belongs to Borin Van Loon, 2003.
1