Brand & Sons, Phillips & Piper, Grey-Green Coaches

Below is the sad state of a once distinguished frontage in November, 2000. Part of the upper floors were devoted to the First Floor night club for many years; the shops below have changed hands several times, but once belonged to 'BRAND & SONS' as shown on the decorative panel below the ornate balcony. Blocked gutters have caused staining, moss and algal growth on the stonework.

Shortly after the above photograph was taken (March, 2001): a transformation. The owners, of The Opium Lounge/Buddha Bar, then Ice and Fire have refurbished the building and the excellent decoration is clean. One puzzle: the date stone high up in the gable (just visible below) is clearly marked 'IX AD 90'; to us this reads '990', but the building surely dates from 1890 when Mr Brand and his sons operated a sizeable business. Photograph below shows another detail.

Post-cleaning, the capital stone at top left of the building - opposite one (just out of shot) which dates the business to 1875 - shows 'E.B'. So this must be 'E.Brand established 1875'.
-
A similar naming of a business in the fabric of the building can be found at the modest entrance at the corner of Pipers Court in St Margarets Street. The large, imposing apartment block which straddles the site of the town ramparts between that street and Old Foundry Road was, until the eighties, a large factory manufacturing sports goods: 'PHILLIPS & PIPER LTD.: CHRISTCHURCH WORKS'. It is only a short distance from Christchurch Mansion and Park; it's also halfway between Ewers Grey-Green (below) and The Milepost.
-
The former Grey-Green Coaches depot has large concertina doors onto both St Margarets Street and Old Foundry Lane. This view is from the Public Library's Lecture Hall entrance on Old Foundry Road; the front entrance carries similar lettering stretched in a single line. The modest art deco style of the building is well preserved. We can remember travelling in Grey-Green coaches from London to Saxmundham in the seventies and, amongst many pauses and stops, we pulled into this barn-like building as we paused in Ipswich (the coaches used to travel down all sorts of unsuitable roads in those days including a two-way Woodbridge Thoroughfare). These days the route is covered by National Express coaches which stop at the Old Cattle Market Bus Station. This spot would be far too congested with traffic most of the time to use the Grey-Green depot. In recent years the building has been used by a taxi company and car dealer.
Entrance on St Margarets Street
-
This part of the building stands on the historic Old Foundry Road (itself commemorating the original Robert Ransome foundry which was the start of the Ransome's engineering empire, so central to Ipswich), which follows the line of the Rampart and Town Ditches round the medieval core of the town. Since a good repair and cleaning job in Spring 2004, this building presents a much crisper countenance to the world. But it's still unused.

It faces the 'Lectures' entranceway to the old Central (now 'County') Library.
Home
Copyright throughout this site belongs to Borin Van Loon, 2003.
1