E.F.P.P. Ancient
views from the “CIEFPP”
|
The following photos are the most ancient photos about the CIEFPP. They were taken by official photografer during the first days of operation, in 1914. The collection was property of the family of Mr. Silvio de Campos, the main founder of CIEFPP. This collection was donated to the “Brazilian Railroads Preservation Association”, or ABPF to simplify. The copies here presented were made by Cid Beraldo and Nilson Rodrigues- in order to preserve this valuable material- and belong to their respective collections. Although of no good quality, these fotos must be presented in this site, for they show the railroad at its beginning, including the surrounding activities. |
|
|
Gato Preto yard, 1914, at the beginning of operations. The old lime kiln already existed when all the complex was installed.The 5 new kilns were served by the rails in three levels: in the upper level the lime stones came from the mine by dumping cars pulled by small locos (O&K), crossing the viaduct that is over the valley at the background; in the intermediate level, the wood to be burned in the kilns was brought by flat cars; in the lower level, were we see the big sheds just ahead of the kilns, the final cooked lime was packed and sent to Perus in box cars. Interestingly, from all the constructions that can be seen in the foto, just the ancient lime kiln survives…Foto from the collection of Nilson Rodrigues. |
|
|
|
The photo above shows a passenger train arriving from Perus. Leading, loco nr.3, a beatuful Baldwin 2-4-0 “Dr. Jambeiro”, whose name was in honor of Dr. Arthur Moraes Jambeiro Costa, owner of this great part of land, and one of the founders of the CIEFPP. Note that the passenger cars were open, like tram cars. The viaduct above the train was used to bring limestone from the quarry to the kilns, as shown in preceding photo.Foto from the collection of Nilson Rodrigues. |
|
|
|
Photo taken some meters ahead, showing the entrance of the Gato Preto yards. Over the viaduct, a train is coming from the quarry. Note the limestone cars, of the dumping type. The three O&K locos were later incorporated by the BPCC, becoming 7, 8 & 9. The basement of the viaduct can still be seen. Foto of the collection of Nilson Rodrigues. |
|
|
|
Photo of Loco nr.2, a Baldwin 4-6-0, crossing the Juquery river, near “Entroncamento” station. According to the original project, Entroncamento would be the starting point of the Pirapora branch. This connection was never made…Even the bridge over the river was demolished. Photo from Nilson Rodrigues collection. |
|
|
|
A more recent photo, taken around the fifties, showing the main shed at Cajamar. At left, loco nr.13, a Baldwin 2-6-0 still in operation. Due to its size, this loco had a short life in the EFPP. Included in the photo, locos nr. 3, 5, (Alcos) and 8 (Decauville). Photo made by Mr. Orlando Loppes, Nilson Rodrigues collection. |
|
|
|
Photo made by Sergio Martire
in1964, showing the shops at Gato Preto. From left to right, locos
nr.1(2nd) “Dr. Sylvio de Campos”, a 0-6-2ST; Loco 8, a
Decauville 0-4-2T; Loco 5 (1st) a Hohenzollern 0-4-0T just
retired. |
|