Felixstowe Road

Examples of trade lettering can be found in and around Felixstowe Road near to the Royal Oak public house. This enigmatic set of lettering is prominently displayed on the side wall of the house at Felixstowe Road, on the corner of Salisbury Road. We decipher this as: 'J.W. HOW. HOUSE (word obliterated) FOR SALE &(?) TO LET. OFFICES(?)'. The proprietor (whatever he did) appears to have painted over earlier lettering as well as obliterating some with a brick-coloured paint.
-
Across Felixstowe Road and a bit further up towards The Royal Oak, is the Lloyds Pharmacy at number 159, resplendant with its vertical 'CHEMIST' lettering on the leading edge of the side wall. Although recently repainted, these letterforms look as though they've been in place for many years. The centred extended caps in shiny white against the black panel are very eye-catching and get across that jump from the 'M' to the 'S' with a slender 'I' remarkably effectively in this format. See also the examples 'H.W. Turner' (and the Berners Street 'Hotel' on the same page).

As drivers queue at the traffic lights in nearby Derby Road (opposite the Royal Oak) they may have noticed on the back wall of 181 Felixstowe Road the words: 'FAMILY GROCER.' (complete with full stop); above it the name of the proprietor has been obliterated ('H. PRENTICE', we think). This particular shop has changed hands a number of times since it was a corner shop selling groceries (remember them?) and, add insult to injury, the plot at the rear of the premises has been sold off. One of its more recent incarnations was a linguistic curiosity: the hair salon immortalised as "Rena's Canse". Perhaps the proprietor was Rena and she wanted to proclaim herself as a Renaissance Hairdresser?

-
A modern house facing Derby Road now blocks the eye-line of the advertisement and 'Family Grocer.' remains as a fading reminder of a time before out-of-town supermarkets when the corner shop serving local shoppers was mainstay of the town's economy.

A superb 'pub sign' in coloured ceramic tile and relief surround announces 'THE BLOOMING FUCHSIA' on the corner of Foxhall Road and Fuchsia Lane. Quite who commissioned this work of art for such a modest building (presumably the brewers who owned the premises) deserves recognition. The fired glazes have ensured that the vibrant colours are as fresh today as they were when created. Another ceramic brewery sign exists on The Butchers Arms in Knodishall.

Doctor Fuchs and the Fuchsia.
Father Charles Plumier, a Frenchman, was hunting for plants or trees which contained a chemical, later to be known as Quinine, to cure malaria; this probably happened during trips in the late 17th century, although dates are confused and Plumier's date of death is conjectural. He discovered a new genus of plant calling it Fuchsia Triphylla Flora Coccinea. Fuchsia was named after a German man of medicine, Triphylla because it was three leafed (that, too, can be confusing: most fuchsia leaf nodes having two leaves), Flora for flower, and Coccinea for its scarlet colour (after the maroon cochineal dye extracted from a Mexican scale insect).

When it came to Plumier's naming of plants he liked to use a surname of respected personalities, for the Fuchsia, he thought of a German Doctor of Medicine who had died 80 years before Plumier was born. This Doctor was Leonhart Fuchs (1501-66), (Fox in English) who for most of his working life, worked at Tubingen University in charge of Medicine. He had written several books, including one called De Historia Stirpium, which contained 516 wood engravings and was (and still is) considered a masterpiece when it was published in Latin in 1542. However, the fact is Leonhart Fuchs, had nothing to do with the Fuchsia, other than have his name used by an admiring Frenchman, who remembered and respected him. Leonhart Fuchs is still well remembered for his work to the present day. Indeed 2001 saw celebrations of his 500th birthday throughout Europe.

Fuchsia cochineal, from Brazil is generally accepted as the first living plant to appear in Europe, probably in 1788 when a Captain Firth gave a plant to Kew Gardens. The 19th century saw British plant hunters lead the field with 25 out of 47 new species being found by the British. The countries where most of the fuchsia species were found, and can still be found, are Peru, Bolivia, Equador, Brazil, Columbia, Mexico, Chile, and other South American countries.


From The Blooming Fuchsia it is only a few minutes walk down to Ruskin House and the Foxhall Road Co-op (now rebuilt).

Home
Copyright throughout this site belongs to Borin Van Loon, 2003.
1