The Co-Op

The Ipswich Industrial Co-operative Society, now the Ipswich and Norwich Co-operative Society (or INstore), has a long history in the town. Like the best of the working class movements it has a sterling illustrated symbol, the clasped hands, below the date '1908' and stirring motto: 'EACH FOR ALL & ALL FOR EACH':

The handsome extension to the original, ornate Co-operative store just across Cox Lane from this view was clearly built in 1908. Its recently restored fabric, ball finials and motto and curved display windows provide a simpler architectural approach. As extra space was needed and new extensions added towards Majors Corner, the buildings and lettering/monograms become more austere and functional:

In 2004 partial renovation of the Carr Street Co-op gave the whole store a facelift, but sadly the original gothic palace of retailing that was the first of the main Co-op stores was sold off to Shoefayre and Poundland. The opticians, chemists and travel agency shops still occupy the parts of the building on one side of Cox Lane.

A 'lost' part of the Co-op, perhaps? During the facelift of the string of linked shops in Carr Street (which consists of new doors and a big white strip above all the windows on the ground floor...), we noticed this ghost of lettering: 'CO-OPERATIVE', surely, hovering above the entrance to Argos over the road. Does anyone remember a time when the Co-op occupied this realtively new building, which presumably went up after demolition of the East Anglian Daily Times printworks and the erection of 'Carr Precinct' (boo!)? Perhaps the sign caught fire - hence the marks on the beige brickwork.

Meanwhile, the very heart of the Co-op beats in its smaller local shops and neighbourhood premises. Here we see an interesting repeat of the symbol and motto high above the Foxhall Road branch (close to the junction with Back Hamlet) where the triangular upper section suggests a much bigger building than that which actually lies behind it:

Here the suitably cuffed, obviously male, clasped hands appear from beneath a furling banner in a slightly surreal conjunction. The banner bears the motto (not fully readable in this image): 'EACH FOR ALL & ALL FOR EACH', the whole set in a semicircular moulding and flanked by smaller versions containing sculptural scallop shells.

[Update November, 2004: the whole of the above shop on Foxhall Road disappeared! No chance of reistatement of the above lettering. Here's the void prior to rebuilding during 2005 and the brand new shop, now set back from the pavement in September. The only lettering build into the frontage is the dated roundel which comemorates the buiding of the original shop in 1906.]
Co-op gone-New Co-op
From here it is only a short walk to Ruskin House and the Blooming Fuchsia on Foxhall Road.
And just to prove that the Co-op consistently adorned the most modest of its buildings:

These beautifully designed art-nouveau influenced monograms stand high on light coloured brick pillars at either side of a goods entrance beside the Co-op shop in Cauldwell Hall Road. The importance of this branch and depot (the central bakery was close by on the site of the present Springlands Close, off Upland Road) may account for such splendid lettering. To the left we surely have the word 'BUILT'; to the right the date '1896', both are intertwined and include a vine/leaf motif. A metal roller door now occupies the entrance between. It's interesting to compare this with the rather more florid '1900' date further down Cauldwell Hall Road on the corner of Freehold Road. [The monogrammed capitals on the above building find echoes on a terra cotta house fascade on Aldeburgh's seafront and Felixstowe's Fludyer Arms.]

Reading
The published history of the Co-op in the area provides many interesting facts and photographs from its inception in 1869 to the end of the twentieth century:
'People & Places: A pictorial history'. Ipswich and Norwich Co-operative Society Limited, 2000 (ISBN 0953966305). This was, suitably, offered to those distinguished Ipswich residents who maintain the fine tradition of daily milk delivery and copies of the book were delivered to their doors by their roundsmen and roundswomen, so they got their divi, too.

Home
Copyright throughout this site belongs to Borin Van Loon, 2003.
1