THE TEUTONIC ORDER 1871 - 1923 / 1945


See also : THE PROTESTANT BRANCH OF THE ORDER IN THE NETHERLANDS. THE FORMER POSSESSIONS OF THE ORDER IN BELGIUM. (Both without any relation to Austria and the Order itself in this period)
Note The history of the Order is given until 1945 but - except for the Grand Masters - its officials are only listed until 1923 when the links with the House of Habsburg and Austria were broken and the Order evolved towards a purely religious community. Historical background The Order of the Hospital of Our Lady of the Germans in Jerusalem (Orden des Hospitals Sankt Mariens der Deutschen zu Jerusalem) was established in 1190 when German merchants established an hospital in order to care for the sick and the injured. In 1198 this small community was recognized as a military order under direct authority and protection of the Pope, one of its main tasks becoming the defence of Christian Palestine against Islam. At the same time the Order grew in importance and wealth, acquering, in the course of the following centuries, different possessions in many Roman Catholic and other countries of Europe. Despite the decline of its political importance after its defeat against Poland in 1410 and despite the religious difficulties at the time of the Reformation (which resulted in the lose of the last remaining territories outside the Holy Roman Empire - the Baltic lands, Prussia and Utrecht) the Order still remained very powerfull until the end of the 18th century, as it still had rich possessions. (1) It was only after the French interventions in the Holy Roman Empire and Germany,in the period 1794 - 1809, that this position was terminated and the last possessions outside the Habsburg domains were lost. In these domains the Order, now known as Order of the Teutonic Knights (Deutscher Ritterorden), was re-organized in the period 1834 - 1840. It now became an independent Austrian institute - directly dependent of the Emperor and governed by a member of the House of Habsburg considered as a vassal of the Emperor - which was to be concerned only with charitable and social activities. (2) In 1923, in order to allow the survival of the Order in the successor states of the Austrian Monarchy, the last Habsburg Grand Master resigned and after a transitional period, it formally became a purely religious order - known as the Teutonic Order (Deutscher Orden) - directly dependent of the Pope in 1929. After the annexation of Austria to Germany in 1938 the Order was abolished in this country and its possessions taken over by the State. (3) In 1939 it suffered the same fate in Czechoslovakia, while some years later, during the German interventions in Italy and Yougoslavia - where the order formally continued to exist - its members became victims of persecutions. (1) At the same time important internal changes also toke place : Charitable activities lost all importance and nearly disappeared, the Order becoming in fact an "economic" institute, whose principal purpose was to provide its knights - members of noble families - with a revenue. At the same time the influence of the House of Habsburg over the Order became more important and the last Grand Masters all were members of the family. (2) One of the consequences of the revival of the initial activities was the gradual lose of importance of the knightly element of the Order in favour of the revived or re-organized branches of Brothers, Sisters and Familiars (lay members who sympathised with the ideals of the Order and were in many cases its benefactors) As to the scocial and charitable activities of the Order they covered both education and health care (schools, hospitals), this last also including the care of wounded during wars (Bulgarian-Serb war of 1885, WWI) (3) The S.S. considered themselves as the only heirs of the Order of the first days. ____________________________________________________________________________

CENTRAL HIGH OFFICIALS

Grand and Teutonic Masters Hoch- und Deutschmeister 1863 - 1894 Wilhelm Franz Karl, Erzherzog von Österreich 1827 - 1894 1894 - 1923 Eugen Ferdinand Pius Bernhard Felix Maria, Erzherzog von Oesterreich, resigned in order to allow the Order to survive in the successor states 1863 - 1954 Grand Masters Hochmeister 1923 - 1933 Norbert Klein, Bishop of Brünn 1933 - 1936 Paul Heider 1936 - 1948 Robert Schälzky Chancellors of the Order Ordenskanzler 1870 - 1876 Anton Genser, Ritter von Fichtenthal 1876 - 1897 Eduard Gaston Poettickh, Graf und Freiherr von Pettenegg 1897 - 1911 Moritz Maria, Edler von Weittenhiller 1911 - 1923 Gustav Bandian ____________________________________________________________________________

REGIONAL OFFICIALS

Regional officials included the Heads of : - the Bailiwicks (or Landcommandries - German : Landkomtureien) - the Brothers Convents and Provinces - the Sisters Communities and Provinces.

HEADS OF THE BAILIWICKS

The Bailiwicks (German : Balleien) were the territorial divisions of the Teutonic Order since its foundation. Most of them disappeared however in the course of the centuries and by 1918 only two (three if one counts the Protestant Bailiwick of Utrecht) still existed : An der Etsch und im Gebirg and Österreich. Once responsible for all activities of the Order within the Ballei, their Heads - the Landcommanders (Ladkomture) - were now only in charge of the Knights and the Familiars. BALLEI AN DER ETSCH UND IM GEBIRG The Ballei An der Etsch und Im Gebirg - covering the possessions in Tirol and originally styled Bozen - was established in the 13th century. In 1809 most of it was divided between Bavaria and the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy and it actually ceased to exist. It was formally restored in 1835. Landcommanders Landkomture 1835 - 1871 Joseph Maria Alois, Graf Attems 1871 - 1876 Karl Maximilian, Landgraf von Fürstenberg 1876 - 1890 Theodor, Freiherr von Risenfels 1890 - 1892 Ferdinand, Freiherr de Fin 1892 - 1909 Rudolf, Freiherr von Doth 1909 - 1916 Gustav, Freiherr von Warsberg 1916 - 1918 Franz Josef, Freiherr von Reischach* 1918 - 1929 Albert, Graf Mensdorff-Pouilly-Dietrichstein BALLEI ÖSTERREICH The Ballei Österreich was established in the 13th century. From the 17th century onwards it also covered most of the possessions of the Order in the Czech lands. (4) Landcommanders Landkomture 1868 - 1890 Maximilian "Max", Graf Coudenhove 1890 - 1892 Theodor, Freiherr von Risenfels s.a. 1892 - 1914 Ferdinand, Freiherr de Fin 1914 - 1818 Karl, Graf Orsini-Rosenberg* 1918 - 1923 Franz Joseph, Freiherr von Reischach s.a. (4) The possessions in Silesia - the lordships of Busau Eulenburg, Freudenthal and Langendorf - were part of the "Meistertum", that is directly dependent of the Grand Master. ____________________________________________________________________________

HEADS OF THE BROTHERS CONVENTS AND PROVINCES

Brothers or Priests had been a branch of the Order since its foundation, taking care of religious, charitable and administrative matters. In the course of the 17th - 18th century their importance declined and their tasks became limited to the administration of the parishes of the Order. In the course of the 19th century - following the general re-organization of the Order in the years 1834 - 1840 - the brothers returned to their original charitable activities and several convents - serving as headquarters for the renewed activities and later also becoming the centre of Provinces - were established. LANA - SOUTH TIROL This first Convent was founded in 1855. It later became the centre of the Province of South Tirol (covering in fact all activities in Italy) Priors Prioren 1867 - 1873 Peter Rigler 1874 - 1886 Alois Stuefer 1802 - 1888 1886 - 1890 Elias Markhart 1890 - 1896 Maximilian Fink 1896 - 1899 Elias Markhart (2x) 1899 - 1905 Joseph Calasanz Tribus 1905 - 1914 Elias Markhart (3x) 1914 - 1933 Korbinian Langebner TROPPAU - CZECHOSLOVAKIA The Convent of Eulenburg was established in 1858. In 1866 it was transferred to Troppau, which later became the centre of the Province of Czecholovakia. Priors Prioren 1867 - 1886 Johann Weidel 1886 - 1914 Maximilian Fink s.a. 1914 - 1916 Alfons Hoppe 1916 - 1933 Hubert Hanke LAIBACH - YOUGOSLAVIA The Convent of Laibach was founded in 1897. At first united with Troppau, it became an independent institution in 1918, later also becoming the centre of the Province of Yougoslavia. Priors Prioren 1897 - 1914 Maximilian Fink s.a. 1914 - 1916 Alfons Hoppe s.a. 1916 - 1918 Hubert Hanke s.a. 1918 - 1921 Bernhard Polak 1921 - 1949 Valerian Ucak ____________________________________________________________________________

HEADS OF THE SISTERS COMMUNITIES AND PROVINCES

The Sisters had formed a branch of the Order probably since its foundation. They disappeared however in the course of the 16th century as a result of the reformation. In the period of the re-organization of the Order between 1834 - 1840, the institute was revived and in 1855 it formally became part of the Order. The new sister communities (Schwesterngemeinde) - mainly concerned with charitable works - originally consisted of a "Mother - House" (Mütterhaus) - the original establishment of the community - and several smaller houses (schools,...) which derived from it. In 1918, following a re-organization (possibly linked to the establishment of successor states), they became Sister Provinces (Schwesternprovinzen), regrouping the different houses. LANA - SOUTH TIROL The first modern sister community was established at Lana in Tirol in 1837. After the region had become part of Italy, it became the centre of the Province of South Tirol (which in fact covered the whole of Italy) Superiors of Lana Oberinnen von Lana 1850 - 1888 Kupertina Fink° 1889 - 1920 Valeriana Gerber° Provincial Superior Provinzoberin 1920 - 1936 Lamberta Eisath TROPPAU - FREUDENTHAL - CZECHOSLOVAKIA Two separate sister communities were set up in the Czech possessions of the Habsburgs : Troppau in 1842 and Freudenthal in 1851. In 1918 they were united into the new Province of Czechoslovakia. Superiors of Troppau Oberinnen von Troppau 1842 - 1875 Agnes Weber° 1794 - 1875 1875 - 1893 Thekla Wehl° 1893 - 1907 Ambrosiana Glaser° 1907 - 1918 Amalia Kimmel° Superiors of Freudenthaler Oberinnen von Freudenthal 1856 - 1893 Vinzenzia von Wiesenegg° 1893 - 1903 Alexia Beier° 1903 - 1923 Klementine Schuh° Provincial Superior Provinzoberin 1918 - 1930 Amalia Kimmel° s.a. FRIESACH - CARINTHIA In 1880 a new sister community was established at Friesach. In 1918 it became the centre of the new Province of Carinthia. Superiors of Friesach Oberinnen von Friesach 1880 - 1888 Wilhemine Witzel° 1888 - 1918 Konstanzia Rother° Proincial Superior Provinzoberin 1918 - 1929 Hieronyma Olbrich° YOUGOSLAVIA In 1919 the sister communities situated in the new state of Yougolavia were organized into a separate province. Provincial Superior Provinzoberin 1919 - 1933 Friedburga Kuchel°
Back to AUSTRIA HOME

THE PROTESTANT BRANCH OF THE ORDER IN THE NETHERLANDS 1871 - 1945

The Teutonic Order acquiered its first possessions in what was to become the Netherlands in the early 13th century. Except for some southern parts which became subject to Biesen, all these possessions were included in the Balije (Bailiwick) or Landcommanderij (Landcommandry) of Utrecht. In 1619, after the Netherlands had become independent, the Balije came under the supervision of the States of the Province of Utrecht and starting in 1620 the Landcommanders were Protestants. In 1637 the last link with the Grand Master was broken and the Balije became an independent institute under the supervision of the Dutch Staten Generaal. In 1811, after the annexation of the Netherlands to France, all possessions were taken over by the French State and the Balije was ordered to disband. But before this could be put into effect, the Netherlands were liberated and the Balije was fully restored, now under the direct supervision of the Dutch monarchs. Like the Order itself, the Balije of Utrecht was - and still is - mainly concerned with religious and charitable activities. (5) (5) But unlike the Order, which adapted to changing times, the Balije maintained its very strict rules : Membership was - and still is - restricted to men belonging to the ancient Durch Protestant Nobility.

HIGH OFFICIALS

Landcommanders of the Bailiwick of Utrecht Landcommandeurs van de Balije Utrecht 1868 - 1877 Alexander Carel Jacob Schimmelpenninck van der Oye 1... - 1877 1887 - 1886 Jan Derk van Rechteren van Ahnen 1886 - 1889 François Maximiliaan van der Duyn 1889 - 1894 Otto van Dedem 1894 - 1899 Reinhard Jan Christiaan van Pallandt van Rosendael 1899 - 1914 Emilius Johan van Pallandt 1914 - 1918 Alexander Schimmelpenninck van der Oye 1918 - 1936 Anne Willem Jacob Joost van Nagell 1936 - 1939 Otto Jacob Eiffelanus van Wassenaer van Catwijck 1939 - 1946 Karel Gerrit Willem van Wassenaer

THE FORMER POSSESSIONS OF THE ORDER IN BELGIUM SINCE 1871

Note The Order did no longer exist in Belgium in this period. This information is added in view of the historical and cultural importance of Alden Biesen, once the center of its possessions in Belgium and its largest Komturei in North Western Europe. It's also the occassion the present the structure of a Ballei at the eve of the French intervention. Historical background The Teutonic Order acquiered its first possessions in what was to become Belgium in the early 13th century. Most of them - situated in the future Province of Limburg - were later regrouped into the Balije Biesen, which also included territories in the Southern Netherlands and Western Germany. (6) In 1794 - 1797 the Ballei was conquered by the French and in 1807 it also formally ceased to exist. By that date its possessions in present Belgium had however already been taken over by the French State and sold to particular persons. (6) The structure of the Balije at the eve of the French intervention was as follows : - Territories and possessions under direct rule of the Order divided into Komtureien (Commandries - Dutch : Commanderijen) : - in Belgium : Alden Biesen, Bekkevoort, Bernissem, Gruitrode, Liège, Ordingen and Sint-Pieters-Voeren - in the Netherlands : Gemert, Nieuwen Biesen (in the City of Maastricht) and Vught - in Germany : Aachen, Aschaffenburg, Jungen Biesen (in the City of Köln), Ramersdorf and Siersdorf. The seat of the Balije was Nieuwen Biesen, but the Landcommander often resided in Alden Biesen. - Parishes in the vicinity of Komtureien under the care of Priests of the Order : - in Belgium : Bekkevoort, Gruitrode, Liège (only the parishes of Saint André and Saint Gangulf), Ordingen and Overrepen - in the Netherlands : Bakel, Beek, Deurne, Geldrop, Gemert, Handel, Haren, Nistelrode, Vught and Wolder - in Germany : Siersdorf and Welz Proprietors of the Castle of Alden Biesen (They had no special administrative tasks and no special rights) 1841 - 1880 Ulysse Claes 1792 - 1880 1880 Valérie Claes°, daughter 1829 - 1880 1880 - 1887 François du Vivier, widower 1815 - 1887 1887 - 1926 Malvina du Vivier°, daughter 1849 - 1926 1926 - 1971 Jonkheer Armand Roelants du Vivier, son 1889 - 1974 In 1971 the Castle, which had been neglected by its former owners, was taken over by the Belgian government, the surrounding lands becoming a property of the Province of Limburg. It was later transferred to the autonomous Flemish Community, which made it a major cultural and educational center, once again styled Landcommanderij Alden Biesen.
Back to Top Back to AUSTRIA HOME 1