NEWFOUNDLAND


See also ANGLICAN CHURCH IN NEWFOUNDLAND ROMAN CATHOLIC HIERARCHY IN NEWFOUNDLAND 1841 - 1945

BRITISH DEPENDENCY OF NEWFOUNDLAND

In the course of the 16th century Newfoundland became a major center of the European migratory cod-fishery in the northern Atlantic. Originally several nations - England, France, Spain and Portugal - had been present in the area, but after the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713 only Great Britain remained, France retaining however some rights. (1) In the course of the following years the first British permanent settlements were established and in 1818 the island formally was organized as a British Colony. Newfoundland was granted internal selfgovernment in 1855 and, like the other white selfgoverning colonies, it was restyled Dominion instead of Colony in the early 20th century. (2) As a result of major financial problems selfgovernment was abolished in 1934 and Newfoundland - having acquiered the largest part of Labrador in 1927 - again became a colony under direct British rule. (3) (1) French Shore Following the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713 France retained the right to continue fishing cod on the northern coast of Newfoundland and to use the shore as a base. In 1783, following the Treaty of Versailles, the boundaries of the "French Shore" were modified and the zone now included the western coast and a small part of the north. In the course of the 19th century the importance of cod-fishing declined and in 1904 - as part of the "Entente Cordiale" - France gave up its rights to use the shore as a base, retaining only a right to fish in the Newfoundland waters. All what now remained of the once important French presence in the region were the tiny islands of Saint Pierre et Miquelon, once the center of French cod-fishing. (2) Newfoundland never achieved the same degree of semi-independency as the other Dominions did and it was not recognized as an equal member of the British Empire after the Imperial Conference of 1926. (3) Labrador In 1763, by the Treaty of Paris, the northern and southern parts of Labrador - until then part of French Quebec and like Newfoundland a major cod-fishing center since the 16th century - were transferred to British control and made part of the dependency of Newfoundland. In 1774 they were annexed to British Quebec, but in 1809 they were once again made part of Newfoundland. In 1825, some southern parts were re-transferred to Quebec, which, in 1912, also acquiered the unorganized parts of western Labrador. Disputes over the exact frontiers between Quebec and Newfoundland in Labrador - which gained in importance after the discovery of iron ore in 1888 and the arrival of the first permanent white settlers - lasted until 1927 when the British Privy Council granted most of the territory to Newfoundland, a decision which remained contested by Quebec. __________________________________________________________________________________

BRITISH CHIEF ADMINISTRATORS

Governors 1847 - 1852 John Gaspard Le Marchant 1803 - 1874 1852 - 1855 Ker Baillie Hamilton 1805 - 1889 1855 - 1857 Charles Henry Darling 1809 - 1870 1857 - 1863 Sir Alexander Bannerman 1783 - 1864 1863 - 1864 Laurence O'Brien* 1792 - 1870 1864 - 1869 Sir Anthony Musgrave 1828 - 1888 1869 - 1876 Sir Stephen John Hill 1809 - 1891 1876 - 1881 Sir John Hawley Glover 1829 - 1885 1881 Sir Frederick Bowker Terrington Carter* 1819 - 1900 1881 - 1883 Sir Fitzhardinge Berkeley Maxse 1832 - 1883 1883 Sir Frederick Bowker Terrington Carter* (2x) 1883 - 1885 Sir John Hawley Glover (2x) 1885 - 1886 Sir Frederick Bowler Ternington Carter* (3x) 1886 - 1887 Sir George William DesVoeux 1834 - 1909 1887 Sir Frederick Bowler Ternington Carter* (4x) 1887 - 1889 Sir Henry Arthur Blake 1840 - 1918 1889 Sir Frederick Bowler Ternington Carter* (5x) 1889 - 1895 Sir John Terence Nicolls O'Brien 1830 - 1903 1895 - 1898 Sir Herbert Harley Murray 1829 - 1904 1898 - 1901 LtCol. Sir Henry Edward McCallum 1852 - 1919 1901 - 1904 Sir Cavendish Boyle 1849 - 1916 1904 - 1909 Sir William MacGregor 1846 - 1919 1909 - 1913 Sir Ralph Champneys Williams 1848 - 1927 1913 - 1917 Sir Walter Edward Davidson 1859 - 1923 1917 - 1922 Sir Charles Alexander Harris 1855 - 1947 1922 - 1928 Sir William Lamond Allardyce 1861 - 1930 1928 - 1932 Sir John Middleton 1870 - 1954 1932 - 1935 Sir David Murray Anderson 1874 - 1936 1935 - 1946 Sir Humphrey Thomas Walwyn 1879 - 1957 __________________________________________________________________________________

MINISTERS

Prime ministers 1855 - 1858 Philip Francis Little 1824 - 1897 1858 - 1861 John Kent 1805 - 1872 1861 - 1865 Sir Hugh William Hoyles 1815 - 1888 1869 - 1874 Charles Fox Bennett 1793 - 1883 1874 - 1878 Frederick Carter (2x) s.a. 1878 - 1885 Sir (1880) William Vallance Whiteway 1828 - 1908 1885 - 1889 Sir Robert Thorburn 1836 - 1906 1889 - 1894 Sir William Vallance Whiteway (2x) 1894 Augustus Frederick Goodridge 1839 - 1920 1894 - 1895 Daniel J. Greene 1850 - 1911 1895 - 1897 Sir William Vallance Whiteway (3x) 1897 - 1900 Sir James Spearman Winter 1845 - 1911 1900 - 1909 Sir (1901) Robert Bond 1857 - 1927 1909 - 1917 Sir Edward Patrick Morris 1858 - 1935 1918 - 1919 Sir (1918) William Frederick Lloyd 1864 - 1937 1919 Sir Michael Patrick Cashin 1864 - 1926 1919 - 1923 Sir (1921) Richard Anderson Squires 1880 - 1940 1923 - 1924 William Robertson Warren 1879 - 1927 1924 Albert Hickman 1875 - 1943 1924 - 1928 Walter Stanley Monroe 1871 - 1952 1928 Frederick Charles Alderdice 1872 - 1936 1928 - 1932 Sir Richard Anderson Squires (2x) 1932 - 1934 Frederick Charles Alderdice (2x)

ANGLICAN CHURCH IN NEWFOUNDLAND

Until 1825 the Anglican community in Newfoundland - founded in the course of the 16th century - was subject to the Bishops of London. It then became part of the Diocese of Nova Scotia. In 1839 a separate Diocese of Newfoundland - which also incorporated Bermuda until 1925 - was founded. __________________________________________________________________________________

HEADS OF THE COMMUNITY

Bishops 1844 - 1876 Edward Field 1801 - 1876 1876 - 1877 James Butler Kelly 1832 - 1907 1878 - 1917 Llewellyn Jones 1840 - 1918 1918 - 1942 William Charles White 1873 - 1942 - 1955 Philip Selwyn Abraham 1897 - 1955
HOME INDEX 1