http://afp-cmo.tripod.com/articles-2002/11-02-no-collusion-only0lapses-in-lamitan-solons-report.html |
No collusion, only lapses in Lamitan, solons report |
By: Juliet L Javellana Source: Philippine Daily Inquirer dtd 24 Oct 2002 |
  |
The military was guilty only of "serious tactical lapses" and a failure of intelligence when it allowed the cornered Abu Sayyaf terror group to escape from a Lamitan, Basilan hospital on June 2 last year. This was the finding of the House committee on defense which released its report on the incident yesterday that was signed by 73 of its members. The committee said it found no evidence that the military had colluded with the Abu Sayyaf to allow terrorists to escape from the surrounded Dr. Jose Ma. Torres Memorial Hospital with most of their hostages for monetary consideration. Although the committee said it was convinced some hostages had paid ransom to the Abu Sayyaf, it did not find "direct evidence to link" the military to the negotiation. But the committee then recommend that former Armed Forces chief of staff Gen Villanueva and Major General Romeo B Dominguez of the 1st First Infantry Division and head of Task Force Comet be investigated by the Deputy Ombudsman for the military and the military board of inquiry. The two generals were held responsible for the major tactical lapse - the "countermanding" of an order for troop reinforcements issued by Col Jovenal Narcise of the 103rd Army Brigade at the height of the siege. The committee, headed by Surigao del Sur Rep Prospero Pichay Jr., also recommended that Basilan Gov Wahab Akbar be subjected to a " no-nonsense investigation" by the National Bureau of Investigation for suspected involvement with the Abu Sayyaf. The committee also recommended that Sergio Osmeņa III "be asked to disclose any information he may possess that would shed light on allegations that several AFP officers had profited from ransom payments made to the Abu Sayyaf Group." The committee also asked that Capt Ruben Guinolbay, whose Scout Ranger Class 142 from Bulacan responded to the siege in Basilan, be accorded military honors. The committee cited several circumstances that prompted suspicions of collusion between the military and the ASG. These were the lull in the fighting when hostage businessman Reghis Romero, his companion Rissa Santos and nine-year old RJ Recio were released, the failure of the 55th Infantry Battalion to reinforce the troops surrounding the hospital, the pullout of the soldiers regarding the back of the hospital where the Abu Sayyaf escaped, and the deployment of 55th IB troops far from the compound's exit. Despite these, the committee said it did not find "enough evidence" to pin the military for collusion. |