http://news.inq7.net/regions/index.php?index=1&story_id=12727
Troopers kill 9 NPA rebels in clash
Inquirer News Service
Updated 08:54pm (Mla time) Sept 23, 2004
 

Editor's Note: Published on page A17 of the September 24, 2004 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

DAVAO CITY, Davao del Sur, Philippines -- Members of the Scout Rangers and Army soldiers clashed with communist guerrillas in Pantukan, Compostela Valley late Wednesday, killing nine of the rebels, military and police officials reported Thursday.

One of the slain guerrillas could be a ranking rebel leader in the area, according to Supt. Jaime Morente, Compostela Valley police director.

Morente said they were exerting efforts to verify their suspicions that commander Rolando Genelza of the New People's Army's Front Committee 2, was among the dead rebels.

Col. Rodolfo Obaniana, commander of the Army's 404th Infantry Brigade, said the military could not confirm the police's suspicion as of yet.

Obaniana said he was inclined to wait for confirmation from relatives of the slain guerrillas, whose bodies had been airlifted on Thursday to the Pantukan town hall.

The nine rebels were killed when their group fired on patrolling soldiers in Sitio Lantawan in Barangay Napnapan late Wednesday evening.

Obania said no one was hurt on the government's side.

He said the rebels fled and left behind their dead comrades.

During clearing up operations, Obaniana said soldiers recovered the bodies of the slain rebels along with high-powered firearms such as an M-60 machinegun, an M-203 grenade launcher, three M-16 Armalite rifles and an M-14 assault rifle.

The NPA has become active again in most part of the Davao provinces in recent days. It has been blamed for various attacks including last Sunday's raid on a wood firm in San Isidro town in Davao Oriental, where three company executives were briefly held as hostages.

San Isidro town police chief Insp. Jaspe Salvani said at least 20 rebels stormed the Magdum Wood Corp. Industry around 7 p.m. on Sunday, held at gunpoint Arnold Tinaco, the company's operations manager, and fellow officials Francis Paro and Arnold Villanueva.

Salvani said the rebels forced the officials to open up the company's armory, took away several firearms and then fled.

Aside from conducting raids against the military and private companies, authorities said the rebel group has also been intensifying its activities such as extortion and liquidation of suspected spies.

The latest victim was a Mandaya farmer in Caraga in Davao Oriental, whom the rebels gunned down on Friday last week.

Davao Oriental police chief Supt. Catalino Cuy said Celso Pandili, 46, of Barangay Santiago, was with his family inside their house when several rebels came and shot him dead.

Anthony Allada with reports from Ferdinand Zuasola, Inquirer Mindanao Bureau

 

RELATED INFO:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PhilippineArmyScoutRangers/message/5572

From: Eduardo Davalan
Date: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:01 pm
Subject: Re: [Scout Rangers] Re: Army fights back !!!

Yup,
Our source is the ground commander I call the JAMMER.
(..message truncated..)


Copyright 2004, Strike Musangs
Home  |  Back
1