Ipswich Museum

The town's municipal Museum, which started life on the 'kink' in Museum Street (and whose original building remains sadly empty) in 1854 - one of the first such museums in the country - clearly wanted to promote the twin Victorian achievements of art and science. The terra cotta frontage of the 'new' Ipswich Museum built by J.B. and F. Bennett of Ipswich displays a feast of swags, floral and fossil mouldings, false pillars and framed sections packed with motifs of the scientist and artist. Portraits of Isaac Newton and William Hogarth peer oddly from dish-shaped roundels on the gables. (Close-up photography of all these features would, we feel, help in the appreciation of this decoration.) The weathering has played down some details in the modelling and emphasised others in bright orange-red, particularly the date at the top of the facade: '1880'. Perhaps they thought it unnecessary to actually name the building 'in stone' as every local would know that it was a temple of learning and artistic endeavour.
-
The right-hand wing, which stands well back from the High Street, bears this grand scrolled cartouche in the centre:
'SCIENCE & ART SCHOOLS' in an idiosyncratic florid script. Again, the weathering adds colour and interest. These three studio rooms were built in 1890 as an addition to the museum for the exploration of art and acience utilising the resources next door. These will return to a similar use soon.
-
Reading the words 'Art' and 'Schools' brings up another long neglected building which adjoins this one. The old School of Art and Design next door was opened in 1934 and provided space and well-lit studios for artists for many years. (The unfinished appearance of the outer walls is due to the fact that the planned doubling in size of the art school was prevented by the onset of the Second World War.) It became the Suffolk Institute of Technology in 2004.

Reading
The story of Ipswich Museum is well told, with many illustrations in the book: 'A Rhino in the High Street' by R.A.D. Markham (Ipswich Borough Council, 1990).

Home
Copyright throughout this site belongs to Borin Van Loon, 2003.
1