Martin & Newby R.I.P.

[sadly closed down June, 2004]

An old established business, suffering closure due to the rise of warehouse DIY outlets in the town - provided customer service and the availability of small quantities of screws, other fitments, hardware, electrical goods and tools - Martin and Newby proclaimed their business on manifold signs, dated 1873. While these are all bolt-on signs on a linked string of individual shop premises (The Bull pub on the corner, a newsagents, a fruiterer) which ostensibly fall outside the brief of this website, the architectural detail at the top of the building (shown below) qualifies it.
-
The edifice itself is Commemoration Buildings, dated 1897 to coincide with Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. We wonder where Martin and Newby was based during the first twenty four years of their existence. Below: the shop frontages on Orwell Place (formerly Stepples Street) and the side entrance on Fore Street, photographed shortly before the business closed its doors for the last time.
-
[March, 2005: during a snow shower (see also Unicorn update below), we see the sad sight of Martin & Newby bereft of its midriff. The shop section demolished down to the basement and netted off from the pavement was presumably unlisted, as were the warehouses behind and to the left, also gone. It's doubtful that any new retailer will display so proudly the word 'HARDWAREMEN'.]
Martin & Newby demolished
Just accross the road from the M&N vehicular entrance above: the carved wood 'MEREMAYD' on the front wall of 17 Fore Street can be seen:


The attractive frontage of The Unicorn at the corner of Orwell Place (formerly Stepples Street to commemorate the stepping stones, used by walkers to avoid flood waters from The Wash) and Foundation Street obviously deserved a proclamation of it existence. These huge upper case slab serif letters (complete with full stop) stand in relief and have been preserved long past the existence of the Unicorn itself. The carpet shop which used to occupy the ground floor has succeeded by a number of businesses. The Unicorn was a hotel which was part of the sizeable brewery behind it. We have already discovered that brewing took place behind the Rose & Crown, not to mention the historic Tolly Cobbold brewery on Cliff Quay - now sadly no longer brewing beer. The whole group of impressive Unicorn buildings (which includes a small theatre, we're told) embody an important part of Ipswich history: brewing. There was also a brewery opposite on the site of Cox Lane Car Park.

Below, we see the Unicorn, with lettering proudly in place, in 1897, the flags flying for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. All the buildings to the left have gone and the very Stepples Street opened up. The junction to the left (below the awnings) which is opposite the mouth of Foundation Street is Cox Lane, when it led to dense housing of the poorest quality: Permit Office Street, Barclay Street and Union Street . The Unicorn brewery closed in 1923, but it remained as a public house until 1977.

[Below: updating the story to the late snows of March, 2005 (you can see the falling flakes on the images). The building has been cleaned and extended during major refurbishment; this olde worlde sign was added high above and facing the Foundation Street car park. The postmodern twist that the building - now so proudly named in condensed, serif, gold capitals on a black ground - ceased to be brewery many years ago may have escaped the developers.]
Unicorn Brewery-The Unicorn Brewery
Upper Orwell Street (formerly 'The Wash' to mark the almost constant flows of water from the springs around Spring Road via Majors Corner down to the Wet Dock) has been ill-served by 'progress' in recent years. Planning blight has left many shops empty and boarded up. The Baipo Restaurant, occupies a high building which is home to one of the most obscure advertising sites in town (arrowed but barely visible on this photograph).
-
'PALMER'S DOOR MATS &e(?)' to fit the triangular shape left by the adjoining roof. The '&e' (or '&c') presumably is short for 'etcetera' and makes use of every inch of available advertising space. There is a decorative flourish rising up from the roof level next to the word 'Door' and - hardly visible here - above the 'ME' of 'Palmer's' the lower part of the word 'FOR'. Clearly there was a shop or dealer name above this; perhaps the upper wall was remodelled - or at least cleaned.

Home
Copyright throughout this site belongs to Borin Van Loon, 2003.
1