A surname of Ireland, usually with the prefix Mac except in Co. Wexford, Mac Fhíodhbhuidhe, Ir. ? fíodhbhadach - woodman. (MacLysaght).
At Ferryland: | Surrogate Court Records: December 29, 1794 - Evoy, Elenor - Charged this person with assault: Rowe, Moses. |
Colonial Records: 1795 - Evoy, Michael: Licensed house for selling spiritous liquors: Ferryland. | |
Surrogate Court Records: July 21, 1795 - Ryan, Michael: Accused this person of running a bawdy house: Evoy, Elenor. | |
Surrogate Court Records: July 21, 1795 - Ryan, Michael: Charged this person and others with assault and battery with stones: Evoy, Elenor. | |
Surrogate Court Records: July 21, 1795 - Sullivan, John: Said he was standing in Mr. Carter's garden when he heard Ryan accuse Evoy of being a whore. Later in court, Michael Ryan explained he had spoken from passion because some girls were tormenting him. He was fined £5 and ordered to keep the peace. | |
District Court Records: January 7, 1798 - Evoy, Michael: Granted a liquor license for Ferryland. | |
District Court Records: June 19, 1798 - Evoy, Michael: Sued for money owing by: Mountain, William. | |
District Court Records: July 9, 1798 - Evoy, Michael: Held wages of this person for Thomas Welsh: Furlong, John. | |
District Court Records: January 1, 1799 - Evoy, Elenor (Widow) Granted a liquor license for Ferryland. | |
Census 1800: James Welsh and wife Elinor. Her children from a previous marriage were: Patrick Evoy - 13, John Evoy - 11, Mary Evoy - 9, Joan Evoy - 6 ½, Elinor Evoy- 3 ½, Catherine Evoy - 1 ½. | |
District Court Records: April 1 1803 - McLarthy, Ann: Charged this person with abusing her: Evoy, Patrick. | |
Surrogate Court Records - Nov. 20 1817 - John Evoy - Planter of Ferryland paid Shannon -Levingston money owed by James Walsh. Witness: Robert Wakeham. | |
Surrogate Court Records - Nov. 1 1819 - Patrick Evoy charged Jeremiah Callihan of Caplin Bay with losing his boat. Witnesses John Congdon and John Power. | |
Supreme Court Records: November 1-11, 1826 - Sweetland and Morry - Sued: Evoy, Patrick. | |
Supreme Court Records: October 23, 1833 - Evoy, Patrick - Sued: Holdsworth, Henry. | |
At Caplin Bay: | Voter's List for Caplin Bay: 1840, 1842, 1844, 1845, 1846, 1847, 1849, 1852, 1855, 1859 - Patrick Evoy. (A notation (update?) after Patrick's name in the 1959 voter's list says - dead). |
At St. John's: | RC Basilica - Marriage Records: 1829 - John Evoy (Caplin Bay) m. Catherine Poor (not stated). Witnesses: Richard Berrigan and James Walsh. |
Supreme Court Records: August 12, 1831 - Petition re estate of John Evoy of Caplin Bay. In this petition Patrick Evoy petitioned the Supreme Court to grant him Letters of Administration to the estate of John Evoy, his deceased brother and partner in the fishery. He indicated that John had died at Caplin Bay, in June 1825, unmarried, and without leaving a will. | |
At Fermeuse | Goodridge Account Books, 1838, 1841, and 1892: 1838 - Avoy, John, Fermeuse. |
Fermeuse/Renews RC Baptisms: March 12, 1858 - bapt. Mary Swayne, Mary of Robert Swayne and Ellen Evoy. Sponsers: John Evoy, Ellen Kehoe (Priest) J. Murphy | |
Family History: | The early Ferryland court records show that Michael Evoy and his wife Elenor (Elinor, Ellen or Nelly in certain documents) were proprietors of a public house in Ferryland throughout the 1790s. However, Michael died in 1798, and about a year after his death, Elenor remarried. Elenor and her second husband, James Walsh, continued to run the pub at Ferryland for a period of time, but eventually moved to Caplin Bay, probably about 1806. It appears that when they moved to Caplin Bay, some, or all of Elenor's children moved there with them. Her eldest son, Patrick Evoy married and had children at Caplin Bay. Since we now know that Patrick's brother, John, died in 1825, it is very likely that the John Evoy of Caplin Bay, who married Catherine Poor (Power) at St. John's in 1829, was Patrick's son. John's name never appeared in the voter's lists, but he was recorded as living at Fermeuse in 1838. He was also recorded as the godfather of Ellen Evoy Swain's daughter, Mary, born in 1858. Ellen Evoy, who is believed to be Patrick's daughter ( and John's sister), married Robert Swain, son of Robert Swain, one of the early settlers at Stone Island. |
As indicated in the Supreme Court records, Elenor's second son, John Evoy, never married and died at Caplin Bay in 1825. Although the Ferryland 1800 Census shows four girls in the Evoy family, the 1831 Supreme Court petition states that there were three sisters in the Evoy family when Michael died, and that they were now all married. Unfortunately it does not identify their whereabouts and/or the names of their spouses. However, there is some evidence that one of Elenor's daughters married Richard Reddigan and settled on land adjacent to her mother and step-father, James Walsh. | |
The surname disappeared from Caplin Bay with the death of Patrick Evoy, probably in the early 1860s. However, a Thomas Evoy married and had one child at Ferryland in 1878. His origin and relationship (if any) to the Evoys of Caplin Bay is not known. There is no further mention of the Evoy surname in any of the Ferryland area records after that date. |
This page was last updated: Sunday 30th October, 2005