Questions, Comments, Suggestions - Email Me

 

Wednesday January 27, 1999

Clear skies after legal Snow storm

By JIM SLOTEK
Toronto Sun

SNOW WHAT'S NEW?: A day in court proved to be an uncharacteristically positive experience for Toronto reggae-dancehall rapper Snow last week.

After four years, a New York State appeals court finally threw out a $1.5 million jury verdict against the kid from the Scarborough projects who had a multi-platinum hit five years ago with the hard-to-decipher Informer.

"It's great it's over," says Snow, a.k.a. Darrin O'Brien. "I've been trying to put it out of my mind, but it kept haunting me."

The suit was launched by a former friend Marvin Prince, who argued that he'd helped develop Snow's career. A jury awarded Prince the $1.5 mil in mid-'97, but the award was reduced as "excessive" a few months later. Last week, the court went one step further, dismissing all liability.

"I don't talk to him no more," Snow said of Prince, "after he pulled his stunts, saying he did this and this when he really didn't do nothin'." And the lesson learned is? "I just don't bring nobody into the studio anymore, people sittin' there and at the end of it think they did everything."

Which is not to say he's working solo. The sometimes-troubled Snow -- who's back hanging in the neighbourhood with old friends and says he hasn't touched alcohol in seven months -- is back in the studio working on a new album, with help from R&B guys Blackburn and local hip-hop producer 2 Rude.

The catch? As it stands now, the album will only be released in Asia (his last album sold 400,000 over there).

 

1