"ONLY 24 JOBS IN QUARRY PROPOSAL AND NONE AT RISK" SAY TEIGNGRACE PROTESTERS
Protesters against the proposal to extend the Watts Blake Bearne Southacre quarry at Teigngrace today rejected claims by the company and the GMB union that up to 600 jobs could be at risk.
They revealed a copy of WBB's origianl planning application, (1), which states clearly that only 24 people work at Southacre quarry, and no new jobs would be created as a result of the expansion.
They also pointed out that in 1992, WBB was granted planning permission to redirect the B3193 Chudleigh Road, allowing Southacre quarry to be extended to the north east.
Protest spokesman Mike said:
"WBB have been deluding the council, the media, and the people of Devon by claiming hundreds of jobs are at risk. In fact, fewer people work at this quarry than in the average supermarket. There's plenty of work at Southacre and at WBB's other pits in the area to keep these people in jobs for years."
Notes to editors:
1. Application for Planning Permission for County Matter Development from Watts Blake Bearne to Devon County Council, dated 5th September 1996, and signed by WBB Planning and Estates Manager John Briggs (copy attached). ---Ends---
TEIGNGRACE PROTESTERS SUE QUARRY GIANT OVER BADGER SETT
Environmental campaigners from A.QU.A. who last week set up a camp on the 100 acre site of a proposed quarry extension at Teigngrace, Newton Abbot, [1] will this morning start legal proceedings against quarrying giant Watts Blake Bearne (WBB) over alleged disruption to a badger sett.
The incident occurred last Thursday morning when WBB employees, using heavy earthmoving equipment, constructed a temporary access road between their existing quarry and the protest camp, very near the entrance to a live badger sett. Protesters recorded the incident on film, which they have now passed to their solicitor. According to section 10 of the Protection of Badgers Act 1992, it is an offence to damage, destroy, or obstruct access to a live badger sett, or disturb a badger that is in occupation. The offence carries a maximum fine of £5000 or a prison sentence of up to six months.
A spokeswoman for the protesters said:
"WBB claim to have a good environmental record, but this proves otherwise. They claim to have done an environmental impact assessment of this area, so they should know the badgers are there. But if they know the badgers are there, they shouldn't have been doing the works. And if they don't know about the badgers, they obviously didn't do a proper assessment."
She continued:
"This is just the first of many legal confrontations in what we expect will be a lengthy campaign to stop the quarry."
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. Teigngrace is approximately three miles north of Newton Abbot, Devon, between the A382 and B3193. The proposed quarry extension is situated at the meeting point of the rivers Teign and Bovey.
2. The scheme involves the enlargement of an existing quarry at Preston, owned by Watts Blake Bearne (WBB) group, the creation of a new waste tip, and the diversion of the rivers Teign and Bovey. Protesters claim the project has not been subject to a sufficiently thorough environmental impact assessment.
3. Devon County Council is expected to give planning permission by the end of July, subject to "fairly complex legal agreements" with WBB. But despite an announcement by WBB last week, planning permission has not yet been granted. DCC planning department can be contacted on 01392 382000. --- ENDS ---
"COME SEE THE BATHROOM" SAY NEWTON ABBOT PROTESTERS
Environmental protesters who have occupied the site of a proposed clay quarry at Teigngrace, Newton Abbot [1], today extended an invitation to people to walk round the beautiful Devon valley that would be destroyed to make bathroom toilets, washbasins, and tiles [2]. A family walk of the threatened area will start from Teigngrace Church on Sunday 27th July at 2pm, following public footpaths.
Protest spokesperson Dave Farmer said:
"In the two days since we arrived, we've been absolutely overwhelmed by the support of the local people for what we're doing. We're going to work very closely together and put up as much of a fight as we possibly can."
He continued:
"People are sick and tired of watching the West Country being turned into a gigantic slag heap. This walk is a chance to celebrate an incredibly beautiful area before it's trashed. Much more importantly, it's a chance to make our voices heard above the roar of the bulldozers."
Photo opportunities and vox pop are likely.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. Teigngrace is approximately three miles north of Newton Abbot, Devon, just off the A382. The proposed quarry extension is situated at the meeting point of the rivers Teign and Bovey.
2. The scheme involves the enlargement of an existing quarry at Preston, owned by Watts Blake Bearne (WBB) group, the creation of a new waste tip, and the diversion of the rivers Teign and Bovey. Protesters claim the project has not been subject to a sufficiently thorough environmental impact assessment. In particular, it would involve the diversion of about 1km of the rivers Bovey and Teign in an area that contains numerous species protected by European law, including otters, kingfishers, bats, and rare fish species (Sea Lamprey, Atlantic Salmon, and Bullhead), as well as important archaeological sites. River diversion on this scale has never been attempted before. Local residents are concerned about the increased risk of flooding if the scheme proceeds; Teigngrace sits in a low-lying river valley already prone to flooding.
3. Devon County Council is expected to give final planning permission by the end of July, subject to legal agreements with WBB.
--- ENDS ---
PROTESTERS OCCUPY A MILLION TOILETS IN NEWTON ABBOT
On Thursday 17th July at 4am, environmental protesters set up a tree camp on the site of a proposed ball clay quarry extension at Teigngrace, near Newton Abbot, Devon [1]. The quarry, owned by the Watts Blake Bearne (WBB) group, will provide the raw materials for millions of toilets, washbasins, and tiles. The decision to allow the quarry extension to proceed was made on 11th June by Devon County Council, subject to outstanding legal agreements.
Protesters claim the project has not been subject to a sufficiently thorough environmental impact assessment (EIA). In particular, it would involve the diversion of about 1km of the rivers Bovey and Teign in an area that contains numerous species protected by European legislation [2], including otters, kingfishers, bats, and rare fish species (Sea Lamprey, Atlantic Salmon, and Bullhead). River diversion on this scale has never been attempted before. Local residents are concerned about the increased risk of flooding if the scheme proceeds; Teigngrace sits in a low-lying river valley already prone to flooding.
Protest spokesperson Dave Farmer said:
"WBB is downplaying the importance of this area. They have no idea what will happen when they divert the rivers. We'll be occupying this site until there is a full assessment of the scheme and its effects, and a public inquiry so local people can be fully informed."
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. The quarry is approximately three miles north of Newton Abbot, Devon.
2. Protected under annex II and annex IV of the EU Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC), incorporated into UK law as the Conservation (Nature Habitats etc) Regulations 1994, and the Wild Birds Directive (79/409/EEC), incorporated into the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981.
--- ENDS ---
AQUA Homepage Trolls in Space