E.F.P.P.

PASSENGER CARS OF EFPP

The passenger cars of the EFPP, have an interesting history. The early samples were open cars, in a tram car style. The last examples are very variated, and the origins of these more recent cars are uncertain. There are cars acquired in the Dumont coffee farms in 1942, and evidences of cars coming from Paulista in 1957. A normal procedure as the cars arrived in the EFPP, was to shorten then in order to allow the cars to be compatible with the EFPP trackage.

We do not have available photos in detail about the early cars of the EFPP, but you can find two photos in the “Origins of the EFPP” part. About late cars of EFPP, the following photos will bring you an idea of that material.

The passenger service operated until 1972, when it was discontinued. Rumors say that this decision was taken in reply to the great strike made by employees in 1963. The concession obtained by CIEFPP in 1910 was to operate between Perus and km.16, or “Entroncamento”, although all trackage (Perus-Gato Preto and Perus-Cajamar) was covered by the passenger trains. In the official railroads guide of that era, the timetable was as follows:
Trem M-3  Departure   Trem M-2 Arrival
Perus 09:15   Entroncamento 16:40
Km 12 09:45   Km 12 16:52
Entroncamento 09:55   Perus 17:25
It is interesting to note, that many passengers of the EFPP were merely fishers, that used the train to go to the Sant’ana Reservoir, close to Entroncamento station. That was a beautiful place…
Photo by Sergio Martire in 1978, showing the typical  “modern” cars of the EFPP. This is nr.2, which according to informations, came from Dumont coffee farm in 1943. As a normal practice, it was shortened at ends, with an strange plate in place of the last window…

This car is nr.4, received from the Dumont farm, too. It is seen here in switching operations, lead by loco nr.3, close to the Pires quarry. Photo by Sergio Martire, in 1976

This is car nr.602 (later nr.5) in a photo taken by James E. Ehernberger in 1974. The name “Socal” was applied to the rolling stock in a short period of time, in an effort to scape of Government absortion…As the passenger service was already discontinued at that time, the car was being used as “caboose”, attached to the gondola string.

“Combine” car nr.1, in a photo taken in 1976. This car no longer exists, being scraped in 1977. According to informations, was built in the shops of Dumont coffee farms in 1909. Down, photo of the interior of this same car, showing the longitudinal position of the seats. 

Down, a photo of this same car, in better conditions, still carrying passengers at the end of a gondola train. Photo by Charles Small in 1976, published in the “Brazilian Steam Album” vol.1.Copy sent by Julio Paiva.

1 1