As
we enter a new century so does the Nesquehoning High School. Some people
thought the High School was beyond repair and its fate was to be a
wrecking ball or dynamite.
The building was made into an apartment building for senior
citizens. There are thirty apartments and a large community room for
activities. The Valley National Properties, LLC, the manager, intends to
place the building on the National Register of Historic Places.
Now that we know the school will have a future lets look at its
past. When first proposed in 1914 most people agreed we needed a new
school, but until it was finally dedicated in 1919 there were many
disputes and the site changed numerous times. The LC&N had the first
attempt blocked by legal action saying the School Board acted illegally.
Then citizens protested, sometimes violently, about building the school
because our Country was in the midst of a Word War.
In the early 1900’s the coal industry was booming and so was
Nesquehoning’s population. Families in those days were very large;
eight, ten and even more children in a family were not uncommon. When
school opened Sept. 1907 there were 733 children enrolled. The largest
number of students in one room was 74. In 1909 an eight-room addition
was added to the front of the East End School building. In the teens the
overcrowding forced the school board to rent rooms in various buildings
in town. The fifth grade class was held in shoemaker Dino’s basement,
Bill Thomas taught industrial arts classes in Bill Branch’s store and
other classes were held in the Nesquehoning Hose Co. #1.
On November 6th 1914 The School Board had a discussion
of various possible sites suitable for a new High School building, the
Board resolved itself into a committee to interview the owners of the
different properties suggested and report at some future time.
On November 19th 1914 a meeting of citizens and the
School Board was held with reference to a site for the proposed new high
school building. The board had several sites in view and desired the
opinion of the citizens as to the most desirable site. After much
discussion it was left to the discretion of the school board. Seven
sites in view were as follows: 1.Thomas Smitham, Sr. and Mrs. Samuel
Hancock, five lots. 2. Patrick Callen, house and two lots. 3. John
Scott, Hugh Riley and George Ronemus, three houses and three lots. 4.
Mrs. Sarah James and James McArdle, three lots. 5. Smith estate, three
lots. 6. Mrs. Maggie Campbell and William Lewis, two houses and three
lots. 7. Mrs. Elizabeth Meese and John S. Lemon, house and four lots.
On December 9th the Board voted on the selection of
the site for the new school. Two proposed sites were up for
consideration. One consisted of four properties adjoing each other on
the south of Main St., owned by George Ronemus, Hugh Riley, John Scott
and George Watson. Directors Ronemus and Granger voted for this site.
The second site, and the one selected consisted of two properties, each
80 feet wide, on the north side of Main St., east of Ratcliffe, and
known as the John Lamon and Mrs. Thomas Meese properties. Directors
Maurer, Emanuel and Steventon voted for this site and a committee was
appointed to negotiate for its purchase unless the price is to high.
At a meeting on March 3rd 1915 a gentleman
representing the architect, Clyde S. Adams submitted tentative sketches
for the new building. The advantages and disadvantages of each were gone
into. The plans as presented were taken under consideration and after
study and consideration will be considered again at another meeting in
the future, when it is expected that with such modifications as may be
necessary they will be accepted and working plans and specifications
prepared.
At a
meeting held on March 12th 1915 there was considerable opposition to the
action of the school board in deciding to build the new high school
building in the lower end of the town instead of the center. This
opposition is based on the fact that the site is between two railroads,
the Central Railroad of New Jersey and the Eastern Penna. Railways Co.
trolley, which will make it hazardous for pupils attending the school.
Convenience is another reason for protest to the new site. A
Nesquehoning citizen went to Mauch Chunk consulting a lawyer. He
proposes to enjoin the board if possible, from building where they have
decided upon.
April 3rd 1915– The new site, selected and purchased
by the school board, upon which it intends to erect a modern High School
building, apparently meets with the approbation of our citizens, as no
protesting voice or action has been heard of, or made. Eight lots below
the McGeehan property in the East End have been purchased for this
purpose, the price per lot, it is said, being $1,500. The trolley tracks
at this point will be shifted south to the level of the proposed new
state highway. When completed and in operation this modern high school
will afford many advantages to its pupils heretofore denied them.
Anyhow, it will provide healthful exercise for pupils living in the
extreme western portion of town.
March 24th 1915 – The site for Nesquehoning’s new
high school building, which has already been selected about three times,
will not stay selected. The school board has another new spot under
consideration. It adjoins the Zaengle farm at the east end of town and
the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Co., its owner, is offering it to the
town at a very nominal price. Some say it is $2,000.
July 1st 1915 – A meeting of the School Board was
held with the following members present: President S. E. Emanuel,
Secretary W. H. Maurer, Morris Grainger and Ed Ronemus. Two plans
showing elevation of the ground to the lot in the Eastern end of town,
now owned by the LC&N Co. were presented and examined. After an
informal discussion a motion was made by Ronemus and Maurer that the
ground be purchased as the site for the proposed new high school. This
plan gives the Board a wider lot, though it makes necessary the erection
of a retaining wall along one side of the lot. The price of the lot is
$2,500. The cost of the necessary retaining wall is estimated at an
amount varying from $600 to $1,000. The vote on motion follows: Ayes,
Ronemus, Maurer and Emanuel; No, Grainger.
July 31st 1915 – Messer’s. Warriner and Suenders
went over the plans of the new schoolhouse with the board and architect.
Mr. Adams will revise the plans to bring the price down to near the
figure set on. After he revises the plans they will be submitted again
for examination.
Contractor Breslin was present at a school board meeting on
August 9th l916 and stated he was ready to begin work on the
new High School building as soon as he had his lines and grades from the
company. The secretary was instructed to get into touch with Mr. Miller
of Mauch Chunk, the real estate agent of the LC&N Co.
September 9th 1916 – The regular meeting of the
School Board was held at 6 o’clock with vice president Cox in the
chair. Other members present were Directors Ronemus, Steventon and
Emanuel. Director Norwood was on the sick list and could not be present.
The architect, Mr. Adams, of Philadelphia and Mr. John Breslin
represented the contractor were present. The matter of the location of
the new high school building on the lot at the East end of town was
discussed. On motion of directors Ronemus and Emanuel the building was
ordered placed far enough west on the lot to enable the construction of
the building to proceed without interference with the trolley line. The
next morning the architect, the contractor’s representative and the
engineers conferred on the grounds and staked out the building coming to
the building line on the South and on the West.
On September 14th 1916 a headline in the Mauch Chunk
Times read: L.C. & N.
OPPOSES NEW BUILDING AT NESQUEHONING AND NOTIFIES STATE BOARD OF
EDUCATION.
In
a letter written to the Commonwealth of Pa, State Board of Education the
LC&N claimed that additional school facilities were needed; a bond
issue was voted for a $60,000 building. No advertisement was put in for
competitive plans, but Mr. Clyde Adams, of Philadelphia was engaged to
draw up plans.
He
submitted plans that were very objectionable, both from cost and design.
These plans were revised several times. On the last set of plans that
were sent in to us for examination, Mr.
J. B. Warriner, Chief Engineer of our Company, raised objections to the
building being constructed, on account of certain defects; a few of
which are, as follows:
Plaster was to be applied directly on the walls without furring
or damp proofing.
Shower and toilet arrangement in the basement were objectionable,
cloak rooms inconvenient and subject to crowding. Lighting arrangement
in the basement and stairways very poor. The boilers specified were
unsatisfactory and were so arranged as to make the cost of maintenance
and operation very high. The construction specified was of a class that
would rapidly deteriorate and the basement would be damp and unhealthy.
No attention was paid to those criticisms by the School Board of
Nesquehoning and bids were asked for and were so high that they were all
thrown out, and the architect was asked to revise the plans, and
specifications so that a building could be constructed for a lower
figure.
In going over the modified plans and specifications, it is shown
that the best features of the original plan have been eliminated. Stone
panels, coping and other exterior decorative stonework have been omitted
and brick substituted, while the roof has been lowered, causing the
architectural effect of the building to largely ruined. Steel columns
and beams throughout are omitted and inferior construction of doubtful
strength substituted. Dumbwaiter and other convenient details are
omitted an also stock and storage rooms. No gallery is specified for the
Assembly Room, thus cutting the seating capacity below requirements. The
walls of the basement rooms are unplastered. The corridors are no longer
as fire proof as they were, as wooden floors have been substituted in
the cloak rooms that are at each end of each corridor. The stairways are
darkened by the omission of windows and are neither smoke or panic
proof. All blackboards are omitted and the heating and ventilating ducts
are of cheap metal lath construction of comparatively short life. All
wall painting and decorating is omitted. Cheap rift-sawed pine floors
are substituted throughout the building; even these are not covered by
and definite specifications. Finishing coat for concrete floors in
corridors is omitted. Specifications are very loosely drawn, indefinite
and not binding on the contractors.
The building is laid out for twenty one large rooms for teachers
and pupils, of these only five rooms in the basement with unplastered
walls are finished, and one class and one study room on the remaining
floors. The other rooms are left entirely unfinished and are blocked off
for the present by unsightly wooden partitions in the corridors.
Superintendents and Boardrooms are however finished, in other words
almost the entire first and second floors are erected only for the
convenience of small board and Superintendent’s Rooms. The Assembly
room is left entirely unfinished and presumably will be unfinished.
The position of the LC&N Co., as the taxpayer, who is
assessed about 75 per cent of all the taxes in this school district is
that they will be glad to have sufficient schools to accommodate all the
scholars that can receive their education in the town where the
employees of the Company live. They feel, however that this money should
be wisely expended and they believe that any impartial investigation
into the plans and specifications that have been accepted by the school
board at Nesquehoning will show that thee is an entire absence of any
wisdom or good judgment and that the building as designed will simply
lead to endless expenditures in the future. We feel that this is a
matter that the taxpayers should be protected in and we appeal to the
State Board of Education and ask them to investigate the matter and see
if there is not some way by which the taxpayers money can be expended
intelligently for educational purposes and not wastefully and
extravagantly as is being done in this case. We have more complete data
here in the office of detailed criticisms of the plans and
specifications, which we will be glad to show to any representative that
you may send here to investigate. Would appreciate your taking some
action in the matter for the protection of the taxpayers. Yours very
truly, E. Ludlow, Vice President.
On September 15th the LC&N Co. filed a bill of equity against
the School Board in a step
to prevent the directors from going on with the erection of the new high
school building. The complainant alleges the plans and specifications
were not submitted to the State board of education for approval. That
the specifications did not contain a time limit thus making them
non-competitive. To erect, complete and equip the said new high school
building, as the same has been designed and planned by the architect,
will increase the indebtedness of said School District to an amount in
excess of two per cent of the assessed valuation of the said District,
notwithstanding which the Board of School Directors of said District has
failed and neglected to submit to the electors the question of whether
or not such indebtedness shall be created and incurred. The high school
building as planned and designed is insufficient and injurious to the
best interests of the taxpayers, patrons and school children of said
School District in that the same is not of fire proof or semi fire proof
construction, that the lighting of certain areaways is insufficient,
that certain walls of the building are not damp proof, and that said
plans are for an uncompleted building, and one not suited to the needs
of the District. Your Honor, therefore, being with out adequate remedy
at law and needing equitable relief, prays: 1st – That the
contract entered into with the said Andrew Breslin for the construction
of said high school building, and the contract entered into with the
American Heating and Ventilating Co. for the equipment of said building
with heating and ventilating apparatus, and all other contracts entered
into for or on account of the same be declared null, and void and of no
effect. 2nd – That an injunction be issued preliminary
until hearing and perpetual thereafter, restraining and enjoining the
said School District, the several members and officers of its Board of
Directors, the said Clyde S. Adams, Andrew Breslin and the American
Heating and Ventilating Co. from proceeding with the erection and
construction in connection therewith, and from all payments of moneys on
account thereof.
On November 8th 1916 the board decided to find another
site for the new high school building.
The following appeared in the newspaper February 5th
1917: The Board of School Directors will meet on Wednesday evening, Feb.
14,1917 at 6:30 o’clock in the East End Building at Nesquehoning to
meet any architects who wish to present at this meeting plans and
sketches for a new High School Building to be of brick, two and one half
stories, and a semi fire proof construction. (An estimate will also be
requested on the same structure in fireproof construction.) The number
of rooms and other requirement of the new building may be had by
applying at the office of the Supervising Principal. Architects will be
expected to give the approximate cost of the building according to plans
submitted by them.
On April 3rd 1917 the School Board received a refund
from the LC&N Co. for the land where the school was to be built. The
school board decided to find another location.
The architect, Mr. John T. Simpson, of Newark N.J. was present
and presented detailed plans and specifications for the new High School
building. On motion of directors Norwood and Steventon, Mr. Simpson was
authorized to file with the State Architect for his approval. It was
decided to advertise for bids for the new building to be received on
April 23 at 4:30 p.m.
When
the School Board met on April 24th they at once went into executive
session and considered the various bids in detail. After several hours
consideration and discussion the various bidders who stayed over were
invited in and the following action was taken. On motion of directors
Steventon and Ronemus the general contract was awarded to Mr. Andrew
Breslin, of Summit Hill in the amount of $68,578, the Board retaining
the right to accept or reject several alternates. On motion of directors
Steventon and Ronemus the plumbing contract was awarded to
E.R.Shollenberger, of Hamburg, in the amount of $7,550, directors Cox,
Ronemus and Steventon voting aye, directors Emanuel and Norwood voting
no. On motion of directors Steventon and Ronemus the heating contract
was awarded to the American Heating and Ventilating Company in the
amount of $10,349, all directors voting in favor. The electrical
contract was awarded to Alfred Sommers,
of Newark N.J., in the amount of $5,878.
On Saturday afternoon previous the house on the Patrick Callen
lot where the new high school building is to be located was sold at
public auction to Mr. William Bechtel for the amount of $152.
At a school board meeting held on May 10th bids were
opened for the construction of the new high school building. They were
as follows; United Fire Proof Building Co. New York, $107,000; Danby,
Tamaqua, $98,000; Andrew Breslin, Summit Hill, $94,000; Shamokin Lumber
Co. $88,000. Several members suggested deferring the construction of the
new High School on account of the present high cost of material and
unsettled conditions caused by the war.
On May 18th the board went over the necessary expenses
of the new school building and on motion of Directors Steventon and
Ronemus , it was decided to fix the tax rate for the next year at 12.8
mills. On motion of Directors Norwood and Ronemus the contract for the
new high school was awarded to Shamokin Lumber and Manufacturing Co. The
price for which it was awarded was $77,026. It was proposed that ground
would be broken on Monday May 21st.
May 29th – Teams for the Shamokin Lumber Co., which
has the contract to erect the new high school have arrived here and work
on excavation will be commenced at once.
WHO
WILL TEAR DOWN THE MONUMENT OF THE SOLDIER AT NESQUEHONING,
was the head line of an article on the front page of the Mauch Chunk
Daily Times on April 31st. Editor Times: According to
authentic reports Nesquehoning, at the present time has fifty vacant
houses and consequently a decreased population. These conditions,
supplemented with the uncertain conditions and hardships of warfare and
a scarcity of labor through the entire country cause men to be of an
unsettled frame of mind in regards to permanent residence not to mention
other conditions that may yet develop of vital importance to the
taxpayers of Nesquehoning.
Would it not therefore be a proper sensible economical and
patriotic act on the part of the school authorities to hold in abeyance
the contract to proceed with the erection of the new high school
building until the conclusion of the War?
Knowing these facts to be the sentiments of the taxpayers and as
a property owner I use them as my authority to make this public request.
Is the interest of the taxpayers who will be forced to bear this
additional burden not to be considered or is the hand of authority going
to rule without regard to the people’s circumstances at this time?
I would also make another request in the name of humanity, and
appeal to every man of Nesquehoning having a family of his own or a
spark of patriotism in his heart by drawing his attention to a few
pointed facts. The men of Nesquehoning know that the late Patrick Callen
served three years in the Civil War and while escaping the fatal
results, served a long term in the clutches of the enemy in that hell
hole called Andersonville prison and was brought home after the war a
living skeleton, in such condition that it was necessary to carry him
from the railroad station to his home, and there with tender care and
the aid of a physician he was nursed back to health after which he could
struggle for himself. He raised a large family and built a humble home
that caused him another struggle to pay for. He served three years on
the school board and helped to promote the school system we have at
present, and after a life given to the uplift of humanity and to the
credit of Nesquehoning he passed out of this life to receive his reward.
And now it is intended to seize his property in accordance with
law, but against the wishes of his family, to erect thereon this
proposed new high school building. To those who will be guilty of
turning into the street the children and grand children of the late
Patrick Callen by tearing down the only monument left to his memory, his
home, will be an unpardonable act and a disgrace to the history of
Nesquehoning. A public school, if built, on the foundation of such a
principle will be a mar to the education developed therein. Signed: A
PROPERTY OWNER.
On
June 2nd another article appeared on the front page of the Daily Times.
Editor Times: In an attempt to show the necessity for the new school
building to be erected on the Callen property Thomas Cox, president of
the School Board, demands that “Property Owner” show honest
intention by signing
his name. To which I might say that Mr. Cox is possibly hiding under the
name of a well-known attorney who has been interested in erection of the
building.
Now for some concrete facts: There are 53 vacant houses in
Nesquehoning at present averaging 2,000 population. The Lehigh Coal and
Navigation Company has given notice that Little Italy will be moved from
Mauch Chunk Township to Packer Township, causing another loss in
population approximately 300. I admit that two years ago the taxpayers
agreed to erection of a new school to relieve an overcrowded condition,
but that condition has ceased to exist. Ample accommodation can be
provided for the school children at a vast saving to the taxpayers if
efficiency methods are introduced and political favoritism eliminated.
The citizens noting the progress of the town two years ago realized
greater room was necessary and looking to the future of the rising
generation were willing to bear an additional burden.
Now, however, with a loss in population there will be a
consequent loss in taxes, which will make it absolutely necessary to add
the burden upon the other property owners in proportion.
Application of common sense at this time will avail to meet
conditions. With living at its highest, with abnormal conditions
resultant of the war and with the possibility staring us in the face
that there will be a still greater loss in population, why cannot our
School Board hold itself in check for the present and await the outcome
of the war.
We taxpayers are not responsible for evasion of duty on part of
the School Board for the past two years, but had the Board gone ahead
when consent was first given and not juggled matters until the
“physiological moment arrived” the building would have been
completed and our protest would have been laughed to scorn. The argument
that failure to erect a new building would cause a loss in appropriation
of between six and eight thousand dollars a year is only used to
deceive. The State is demanding that we conserve our resources,
economize in finances and eliminate all useless improvement in public
buildings. Surely the State would not deny the appropriation when
acquainted with conditions as they exist in Nesquehoning, Mr. Cox to the
contrary notwithstanding.
I am not actuated by animosity in making this protest, nor do I
desire to interfere with the duties of the School Board, but in response
to request of numerous taxpayers I am voicing a protest in the hope that
the School Board will realize that the mistake being made and rectify it
before proceeding farther. As citizens we are interested in our schools,
as taxpayers we are interested in maximum results at minimum cost, but
as a people we have a right to opinion even though it be contrary to the
set opinion of the School Board.
I have been informed by the Callen heirs that they protested the
condemnation proceeding but since the Board seized the property they had
nothing else to do but submit.
However, the School Board has proved itself bigger than the
citizens, which sought to convince them that it would be better to defer
erection of the building until more settled condition would prevail.
Signed: M. HARTNEADY
Even though the citizens of Nesquehoning were against the
building of a new school at the present time, construction continued.
On November 20th 1917 The Shamokin Lumber Co. put on a
double force of men at the new high school building in order to get the
building under cover to permit work on the inside during the winter.
The H.W. Mansville Co., Philadelphia had a force of men engaged
in putting the roof on the new high school building on July 13th
1918.
On
March 26th 1919 the School Board met with representatives of all the
fraternal and social organizations of the town and formed preliminary
plans for the dedication of the new High School. This dedication will
take place on May 30th. A great amount of enthusiasm was manifested, and
every one present promised to bend every effort toward making the
occasion one that will be remembered. An executive committee was
appointed who have in charge all the details in connection with the
dedication of the new high school. This committee consists of Harry
Smith, Joe Gover, Timothy Boyle, Michael J. Mulligan, William Starosta,
Evan Williams,
Hugh McGorry, Moses Mustachio, John S. Ronemus, Michael Kordilla, and
Paul Misick. An effort is being made to have Governor Sproul here at
that time to make the address. Other notables of the State were
mentioned and this matter was left in the hands of the Board.
May 10th – All roads lead to Nesquehoning on
Decoration Day, May 30th, as the new High School will be
officially opened and dedicated with impressive ceremonies befitting
this occasion. There will be a monster parade held which will include
not only every organization in the good old town, but also neighboring
towns will be represented. At present there is at least ten bands
engaged. This is one of the most up to date high schools in the State
and shows again the spirit of Our Board of Education in giving the boys
and girls every faculty to lighten the burden of study and make the way
easy for them to reach their station in the education at world. In
connection with the day the Nesquehoning Hose Co. Band will have
refreshments at the different corners at which place you can refresh
yourselves and let the band have the benefit of your money which will be
used to help pay for the new uniforms that the band has recently
purchased. In the evening there will be a grand dance in Ferko’s Hall,
at which prizes will be given. There will be the very latest jazz
orchestra with plenty of rag music. There will also be a prize waltz so
make no other plans for that evening, but join the crowd and attend the
grand dance in Ferko’s Hall Friday May 30th. All proceeds
will be to help the band.
May
26th - Plans are completed for the dedication of the new high school
building on Friday. Nesquehoning will be the mecca for thousands of
visitors, the occasion being the dedication of its magnificent High
School building, the finest and most elaborately equipped in Carbon
County. In fact it compares with the best in the State.
The parade will start at 2 p.m. Thirteen bands are engaged and a
hundred different societies will participate. It will be the biggest
event in the history of the town. Every citizen is respectfully asked to
clean up his surroundings this week in preparation for the dedication of
the new high school also decorate your homes for the occasion. Many old
time residents will be among the visitors. It will be a regular old home
week commencing Friday, and many will remain for a week to exchange
greetings. The Citizens Band of New Columbus, formerly the Little Italy
Band will repeat the concert after the High School dedication of Friday,
for which it was awarded a gold medal at Tamaqua on Saturday. The medal
will be on exhibition during the concert for all who desire to see it.
The medal was won in competition and was awarded entirely on the merits
of the New Columbus Band, which plays fine concert music. The Hose Co.
Band will run a grand dance in the evening at which all the latest
dances will take place and there will be old time square dances with an
old time promptor. John M. Callen has consented to take charge of the
square dances, which means success. Edward Riley will have charge of the
fox trots, waltzes and two steps. Refreshments will be served in the
building. There will be eleven prizes awarded. A prize waltz will be the
special feature. The hall will be decorated. Kauffman’s orchestra will
furnish the music.
May 30th 1919 – New High School was dedicated with inspiring
patriotic demonstration at Nesquehoning, service men a feature.
Intensely enthusiastic patriotism marked the dedication of the New High
School at Nesquehoning. Thousands
of visitors were attracted. Every incoming trolley car was packed to the
limit with visiting people and the trolley service proved inadequate to
the occasion. Many were disappointed because of a lack of
accommodations. Taxi’s helped out well in the emergency. Nesquehoning
never before in its history held such crowds. It was the mecca for
throngs from all parts of the county. The town was gaily decorated,
waving flags and bunting bidding a mute but cordial welcome to the
visitors. Refreshment stands here and there provided for the hungry and
thirsty. No detail was lacking looking to the welcome and comfort of the
strangers. Nesquehoning certainly did itself proud. It occasioned no
surprise that their enterprise has resulted in the erection of the most
colossal temple of education in the county. Great as was every other
arrangement, the parade was the crowning achievement of the auspicious
day, which was as perfect as was ever set for an epoch of such
magnitude. It was a monster inspiring and picturesque demonstration.
Lieutenant Russel Harvey was chief marshal. It was a feature parade
throughout. Each society participating vied in originality. One of the
touching spectacles was the service men from overseas and at home. Tears
of joy filled the eyes of many at the sight of them. They were given an
enthusiastic ovation. There was a large representation of them.
Nesquehoning P.O.S. of A. turned out in force. It was represented by
continental characters and a red school house float showing the contrast
between the luxurious building of today and the comparatively primitive
one of 50 years ago, an impressive object lesson to the youth of today
as to his unlimited opportunities in comparison with the limited ones of
his fore fathers. Nesquehoning’s schools made an exceptionally large
and fine showing. Each grade was represented with a teacher in charge.
They were attired in fantastic and ludicrous garb and carried original
banners. Many May poles with countless streamers also featured.
Nesquehoning High School Drill Corps gave a clever exhibition of
intricate drilling that elicited rounds of applause. The Knights of
Pythias and Pythian Sisters of Nesquehoning were an imposing feature of
the parade, being largely represented. After the parade, the dedicatory
exercises were held at the new high school building. The program opened
with the rendition of the “Star Spangled Banner” by the Lehighton
Band. Supervising Principal R.O. Klotz was the chairman. He spoke on the
educational progress of Nesquehoning in recent years, which justified
the erection of the new high school building. A school was the center of
community, the foundation of democracy, where no distinction was made to
class or creed and which stood for and fostered one flag and one
country. Ben Branch, Esq., in behalf of the P.O.S. of A. of
Nesquehoning, presented a Bible and U. S. flags to the new school. In
accepting the Bible Mr. Klotz said it would be daily read in the school.
Sergeant Andrew Pancoe, a wounded marine and hero of Chateau Thierry,
gave an edifying talk on his experience in the great world war conflict
which was of absorbing interest. James J. Bevan, county superintendent
of schools, was the next speaker, saying in part: The occasion we
celebrate today is truly American. This splendid building of learning
with its complete and modern equipment indicates more loudly than words
the fundamental belief of the American people in education and their
desire to provide such education for their children as shall be adequate
for the demands of later life. Democracy and education are inseparable.
The one cannot exist without the other. No ignorant democracy ever did
nor ever will endure. Our American Republic has learned from its
founders and forefathers that its welfare and security can be maintained
only through the results and blessings of public education. Our free
government provides the means whereby the opportunity for education
shall be offered to all and our schools in turn are the means whereby
the very life of the nation is maintained. The Great War was a mighty
test of the work of the American public school and most nobly did the
schools meet that test. It proved that the nation of people of every
color and creed had been transformed into a nation of patriots that
placed our flag above every other flag and its loyalty supreme. The
American school must be extended and enlarged to meet the ever-growing
demands for better education of the masses of our people. Learning must
become universal in America. The chief business of the nation is the
education of its childhood. Carbon County has nobly done its duty to its
children at school. No other county of equal size and population can
boast of better school buildings and more efficient schools. This fine
building, the latest in our county, is in point of equipment for both
physical and mental training, the most complete of them all. Our highest
commendation is accorded to the progressive school board, its capable
supervising principal and faculty and to the public-spirited people of
this place for this addition to the school facilities of our county. Our
future as a nation will be made secure through the educating and
refining influence of our schools. Patriotic devotion to our country and
loyalty to the flag will go hand in hand with the right training of our
youth. Long may our schools endure to do their glorious work of
educating our people, cherishing our institutions of free government,
and exalting the American ideals of freedom, justice, equality and
humanity.
Nesquehoning’s new High School building is a handsome structure. It
compares with those of large cities, surpasses any like building in
Carbon County and is a monument to the enterprise of the board of
directors who erected it. It is fire proof throughout. The only woodwork
is that of doors, casings and frames which are finished in chestnut. The
floors and hallways with a few exceptions in the schoolrooms are of
terrazay, a substance similar to concrete, but of a finer nature. There
is nothing of the useless ornamental about it yet it is beautiful and
impressive in its simplicity and design. John T. Simpson, Newark, NJ,
was the architect. It is imposing in its massiveness and amazing in the
magnitude and completeness of its equipment. The graduate of the future
will find every convenience and help in it to fit him or her for the
more practical duties of life. Each room is properly ventilated
exceptionally well lighted. This is a striking feature of the structure,
which will certainly be conducive to eye ease. There are several side
entrances and a main one in the front. This is on the order of a rotunda
with artistic railing. The erection of the building was commenced in
1917 by the Shamokin Lumber and Mfg. Co., Contractors of Shamokin, Pa.,
but was delayed on account of war conditions, which held up material and
increased its cost as well as that of labor, which was rendered scarce.
Under the circumstances the work was done efficiently and
satisfactorily, attesting the ability of the contractors to execute
contracts on a big scale. The board of directors was composed of Albert
Norwood, president; Samuel Emanuel, secretary; Thomas S. Coxe, vice
president; E. R. Ronemus, treasurer and Harry J. Steventon and Milford
McElmoyle. They have given the community an educational place that will
redound to their eternal credit. The cost of the building is $134,000,
but other expenses will increase its grand total to $150,000. It is
built of gray tile brick and occupies a space of ground 74 feet 4 inches
wide by 133 feet 6 ½ inches long. It is two and a half stories high. It
has two basements, the sub-basement being occupied by the heating plant,
manual training and mechanical drawing rooms. Hot air is furnished from
an extensive heating plant on the order of a hot air furnace but of a
more scientific nature. A large fan operated by an electric motor
supplies the fresh air. Mechanical devices remove the ashes. Hugh
McElmoyle is the competent janitor of the building. Sensitive and
scientific devices maintain a uniform heat or the degree desired. The
manual training room is equipped with lathes and all the necessary
machinery of such a room, all operated by electrical power. In the
basement proper is situated the gymnasium, domestic science and sewing
rooms. The domestic science room is on the order of a colossal culinary
department. It has every convenience and would excite the envy of the
model housewife. Gas is furnished by an independent plant, but the
building is piped for the day Nesquehoning will own its own gas plant
which is not in the distant future. The “gym” is large and
commodious. Its equipment is complete. This is really one of the
impressive features of the building. It lacks nothing in detail. On the
first floor are the directors’ room, supervising principals,
auditorium and the various classrooms. The clocks are regulated by a
master clock in the supervising principal’s room from which radiates
telephones to every department of the school. R. O. Klotz is the capable
supervising principal. The auditorium is large and airy and fascinating
to the eye in its appointments and elaborateness. It is capable of
seating 600 people in comfort. The parquet seats are sloped as are also
those of the balcony. The curtains are operated by electricity and the
foot lights are of the disappearing order. A moving picture booth is
attached. On the second floor are the study hall, lecture room,
laboratory, teacher’s rest room, recreation and commercial rooms, all
being of the communicating or continuing order. Each pupil has an
individual locker. The toilet rooms are of the best material and most
modern equipment as well as of the standard hygienic order. Bathrooms
with shower bath appliances are also a feature. The people of
Nesquehoning can look with just pride upon their new High School
building. They are to be envied, for they are in advance of their time
in this educational achievement and triumph, which places them in the
front rank of popular and modern education.