Anglican Parish of Northern Mallee

Post Office Box 692, Mildura 3502, Victoria, Australia

St Margaret's History, Organ, Tour, Home page

The  PATRON  SAINT  St  Margaret

Map of Australia
Greetings from the Anglican
Parish of Northern Mallee,
based at Mildura, Vic, Australia
St Margaret's Church, Mildura

The people of Edinburgh Castle are maintaining the original St Margaret's Chapel, and it is visited daily.Jim outside the Chapel
The plaque reads 'St Margaret's Chapel, 12th Century'. The physical description of the building emphasises the irregularities in construction, and the smallness of this special place, which was restored and dedicated on 16 March 1934. Princess Margaret started the St Margaret's Chapel Guild in 1942.
Visit our special St Margaret's, Mildura Site
The renovations were continued in 1993 to commemorate the 900th anniversary of the death of St Margaret The Sanctuary in St Margaret's Chapel, Edinburgh
The ladies of Scotland named Margaret replace the flowers weekly.
St Margaret's window, in her own chapel.
Thankyou Jim, our parishioner who took the photos for this and the Margaret page.

St Margaret

Statue of St Margaret In 1988 Mrs Connie Bissland, daughter of Canon Hardingham, placed the beautifully carved wooden statue of St Margaret of Scotland in the church. During his last visit, on 5 Aug 1973, Bishop Winter presented a Faculty, showing the Patron Saint shall be Margaret of Scotland, whose Patronal is celebrated on 16 November.

Margaret (born c. 1045) was the grand-daughter of Edmund Ironside, King of the English, daughter of Edward Aetheling, and sister of Edgar the Aetheling, but was probably born in exile in Hungary, and brought to England in 1057. After the Norman Conquest in 1066, she sought refuge in Scotland, where about 1070 she married the King, Malcolm III. She and her husband rebuilt the monastery of Iona and founded the Benedictine Abbey at Dunfermline. Margaret undertook to impose on the Scottish the ecclesiastical customs she had been accustomed to in England, customs that were also prevalent in France and Italy. But Margaret was not concerned only with ceremonial considerations. She encouraged the founding of schools, hospitals, and orphanages. She argued in favor of the practice of receiving the Holy Communion frequently. Statue of St Margaret She was less successful in preventing feuding among Highland Clans, and Malcolm's raids into England. In 1093 he first visited William II at Gloucester, and later invaded again, reaching Alnwick where both Malcolm and his eldest son by Margaret, Edward, were killed. Margaret herself died in Edinburgh a few days later, on 16 Nov 1093 (of grief, it is said) aged about 48. She was canonised by Pope Innocent IV in 1249.




Chasible featuring St Margaret Canon Robert Chittick, wearing the St Margaret's chasible, concludes the service by inviting us to 'Go in peace, to love and serve the Lord'.

St Margaret's congregation spent the first 11 days in March 2002, remembering and celebrating the wonderful ways the Lord has led and blessed His people of Mildura since this church was built 100 years ago. The original Architect was Edward Sharland, and his grandchildren joined in the festivities.

A short history of the church has been produced, and copies are on sale at the Church Office.
The book outlines the work of the Anglican Church in our district, beginning with the Mission which was located at Yelta.
The township of Mildura was developed by the Chaffey brothers who set up the irrigation district.


Sanctuary and embroidered Altar Cloth St Margaret is the patron saint of wives and family life. She was the happy mother of six boys and two girls, as well as becoming regarded as the 'mother of Scotland', being remembered for her practical charity.

St Margaret's Chapel is a small building which can accommodate about 20 people seated. Towards the end of their reign, King Malcolm and Queen Margaret lived in the Castle at Edinburgh and the small building she used as her Oratory and we know as her Chapel, is probably the only surviving building from that time, with its demonstration of Norman architecture.

The richly embroidered altar cloth designed by Hannah Frew Paterson MBE, uses many symbols recalling Margaret's life. The St Andrew window is in the East End behind the Holy Table, and the royal blue colour is repeated in the cloth.

St Columba window St Margaret, North window William Wallace window in West wallIn 1853 Queen Victoria supported the beginnings of restoring the building, then in 1929 the authorities combined to complete restoration and the chapel was dedicated on 16 March 1934. In 1993 the chapel was refurnished with ten bench seats, an alms-chest and table, a flower stand and a display stand. The five small windows now feature designs by Dr Douglas Strachan. The windows for St Columb and William Wallace are shown here, flanking the one depicting St Margaret.



Back to the Home Page
My other sites are Tetbury residents in the Eighteenth Century
my Australian Family History remembering over 600 pioneer families of Victoria
Sultanas in Sunraysia and coding pages; and Barrie, our Family Poet.

This site is http://www.geocities.com/Mallee2001.
Say Thanks to

1