Chaffey's Workshop 1888
George Chaffey and his younger brother William Benjamin Chaffey had already set up a similar enterprise at Upland, near Los Angelos in California, and undertook with Government approval, to develop 250,000 acres of Victorian land centred on Mildura.
They built a workshop, and commenced work on the pumps needed to lift the water from the Murray river.
This carefully posed photograph taken by JW Lindt, a professional who travelled the 'outback' from Adelaide. It is very tempting to say the central figures are the Boss and his brother.
Ernestine Hill reports, in her book 'Water Into Gold', page 79 of the 7th Edition, printed 1946. Early in 1888, Bishop Thornton of Ballarat, paid the infant Mildura a visit, a tiresome coach journey of 170 miles from Kerang, and on Palm Sunday (25 March 1888) he held a service in Chaffey's workshop to a gathering of 85 all told.
The photo has interesting features. In the rafters, above WB's head is a dark splash where 2 rafters meet. It is possible one of the curious natives, a ring-tailed possum, is overseeing events.
 The men are arranged in groups. All are dressed in white shirts and dark pants - not normal working overalls. Behind WB the group leader is wearing a white hat. The group on the far right are behind a foreman wearing a dark waistcoat.
See the full-sixed image here. Be warned, the size is 773 x 729 or 601 KB.

Building St Margaret's Church
On 8 June, MDCCCCI (1901 to you and me), the foundation stone was laid for the permanent building by Right Reverend A V Green, Bishop of Ballarat, and the Architect was E C Sharland. He placed the church with its Entrance facing Deakin Avenue, and the long axis is parallel to Eleventh St.
The two photographs over lap the second man on the right.

Again we ask, who is posing?
The gentleman third left appears to be the clergyman Rev Charles Ernest Burgess, flanked by his two sons in large hats, Charles Ernest Burgess born 1893 and Dean Swift Burgess born 1895.
The well dressed man next to the smaller boy is our Architect, Mr E C Sharland. He was famous for his short stature, moustache and 'snappy dress'. He died in Mildura during October 1939
The building contractor, Mr Sherring, is probably next to Mr Sharland. He celebrated his 80th birthday in June 1935.
The limestone used came from Koorlong, and the bricks were manufactured at Merbein. |
Mildura Grammar School, 1903
The staff of the school are Headmaster C F Baxter, MA - (Trinity College, Cambridge, Honors in Classics)
Miss Ida M Batten -
Matriculated student of Melbourne University. Honors in English and French Miss Effie Lloyd Lecturer in Hygene - Dr Abramowski Tearches will also attend for Needlecraft and Physical Culture. See the full-sixed image here. Be warned, the size is 766 x 548 or 391 KB.

School Terms are surprisingly modern.
First Term - Tuesday 2 Feb to 17 April
Second Term - 29 April to 10 July
Third Term - 20 July to 2 October
Fourth Term - 6 Oct to 17 December
School hours - 9.15am to 12.45pm, 2pm to 3.34pm.
Parents are urged to see that their children are regular and punctual in attendance, and to set apart a fixed time for preparation of Home Lessons. Written excuses are expected for irregularity, unpunctuality and non-preparation of lessons.
Fees were to be paid for each Quarter, in advance, with an extra charge for Music lessons.
Costs -
Under 8 years old - 21 shillings
Over 8 and under 10 - 31 shillings
Over 10 and under 12 - 42 shillings
Over 12 - 63 shillings (3 guineas)
Matriculation class - 4 guineas a quarter. Discounts for second and third family members.
School Warden - Vicar of Mildura.
Council - Rev Chas E Burgess, Dr Ambramowski, Messrs ELR Emmett, TS Dove and A Pickford.
Visitor for the opening of this school - The Right Rev the Lord Bishop of Ballarat.
|
An early Choir, 1907
St Margaret's held a week-long mission in 1906.
There are 8 ladies and 25 men and boys in this photo, who have been named for us.
See the full-sixed image here. Be warned, the size is 783 x 397 or 308 KB.
The four boys sitting in the front probably include Edgar aged 9 and Frederick Adams aged 16, sons of James Rawson Adams the Church Lay Reader from 1893 to 1915, who resigned when his two sons Edgar and Frederick were killed 25 April 1915 in the Gallipoli invasion.

These two, at the far left, are Stan Geer and Bert Bowroft.
The 3 ladies in the back row at the left are Jane Lever, Eva Geer, Mrs McHenry
and in front of them are C Davey, J Lever,
|
The central group features ladies May Sheering, Cleo Jones the Organist, and Miss Tickell, with Harry Morris, E Burgess, J Morring and Noel Morris in front.
The four central figures are boy, Reverend Stanley Champion who led the Mission, and Rev William Henry Geer, and the second Boy
|