Bury St Edmunds

Bury, at the west of the county of Suffolk, is the ancient judicial and administrative centre. The centre of the town has not experienced quite the radical surgery evident in Ipswich. Several lettering examples survive.
Just off Station Hill is an old seed mill, still bearing a somewhat battered and hard-to-read company sign on the red brick.
-
And around the other side of the building, adjacent to the rail station by a very busy (and noisy) stonework depot, a better preserved version of the lettering:
'BURLINGHAM & Co. Ltd.
Corn & Seeds Cleaning Specialists'

A hundred yards from the rail station towards the town centre (and Bury is similar to many towns in the station being on the outskirts) is an attractive little confectionery and floristry shop on the corner of Etna Road. You can see the municipal steel street sign on the corner of the wall. Why then did the builder set an unusual stone block sign into the fabric of the wall with 'AETNA on one side and 'COTTAGE' on the other? Is there something he knew that we don't? Perhaps the use of the dipthong at the start of the name of that most famous erupting volcano in Sicily was statutory at the date of building.



'CANNON PLACE
Bank 1823
W S'
This plaque, nearly obscured by scaffold boards, shows that this is quite an old building. This end has recently been used as a restaurant and is opposite an old brewery in Cannon Street which is now a bar and restaurant. The main interest lies in the advertising panel for :
'NESTLÉ'S MILK
Richest in cream'
which dominates what once must have been a corner grocery shop. It compares with an advertisement for the same product in Ipswich. Similarly, someone's tried to obliterate it with an inappropriately coloured paint (fortunately unsuccesfully). There is a plaque similar to the one shown above, just around the corner in Church Street, indicating that the whole building must have originally been built as a bank.
-
If you walk up Church Row passing the rear of St Johns Church on the right, you find a triangular building facing onto St Johns Street bearing the carved name plaque:
'ST. JOHN'S ANGLE 1880':

In Kings Road, near to the corner of Prospect Row, lies the former premises of:
'HANCHET. MONUMENTAL STONE & MARBLE WORKS.' carved deep into the sandstone facing, just under the eves, then stained to stand out 'til today. See the detail below.

On the other side of Prospect Row, fronting King Street, lies Salient Place. On the end wall of this terrace of cottages is a sign rebaited into the brickwork. The attempts to obliterate the lettering have been largely successful, but 'WRIGHT' seems to be readable.

Return to Ipswich Historic Lettering website
Return to Historic Lettering from outside Ipswich

Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.

©2004 Copyright throughout the Ipswich Signs and Ipswich Lettering sites: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission
1