Navigating the Lower Saint Lawrence in the 19th Century.
 
Quebec Gazette #2618 09/03/1815 Page 1, Col. 1C.
 
  TRINITY HOUSE, Quebec, 
 Saturday, 25th February, 1815.    
      Trinity House Icon
    His Excellency the Governor in Chief, having been pleased to permit, that the situation of the sunken rocks off Brandy Pot should be correctly ascertained.
    Notice is here given, that these will be in future, called Bassett's Ledge, and that they lay in the following bearings, viz;
    The southwest rock bears from Brandy Pot telegraph north 84 degrees east distant 2 miles.
    From the east end of Hare Island, south 47 degrees east.
    From White Island, distant 2½ miles, south 19 degrees east.
    From Rivière du Loup point, 3½ miles, north 36 degrees west.
    These rocks lay from each other north 63 degrees east and south 63 degrees west, distant a small quarter mile, with only twelve feet water in the southwest one, and fifteen feet on the northeast one, at low water spring tides, and with eleven fathom water between them.
    A black buoy will hereafter be laid on the southwest rock with the following land marks, viz;
 
 The land mark from the eastward. 
      The northernmost point of the land of Green Island parish, in one with the northernmost high mountain on the land to the southward of Cape à l'Orignal, bearing north 64 degrees east.  
 The land mark from the westward. 
      The summit of the southernmost mountain of the high land of Kamouraska, just shut in with the south point of the Great Pilgrim Island, bearing south 33 degrees east.  
  Thwart mark on the south shore. 
      Two houses which stand a little to the eastward of Rivière-du-Loup Church, in one bearing, south 29 degrees east.
    N.B. There are only two houses, between the church and Rivière-du-Loup.
 
 Thwart mark on the north shore. 
      The east end of the trees on Hare Island, in one with the west cape of the Bay of Rocks (on the north shore) bearing north 49 degrees west.
    By order,
 
      William. Lindsay,Jr.  
      R.T.H.Q.  
 
 
Quebec Gazette, May 18th, 1815.
 
      Port of Quebec - Arrivals:
    May 17, Ship Lord Cathcart, John Coward from London. Sailed the 4th of April to government. The Cathcart saw nothing of the Penelope. The pilot spoke off Father Point on their way up a boat, part of the crew of a new brig, wrecked near Gaspé, she was from London in ballast.
 
 
 
Quebec Mercury #21, Page 166. Tuesday, May 23, 1815.
 
      Arrived, ship Lord Cathcart, Coward, from London, sailed the 5th April, to Government. The Cathcart saw nothing of the Penelope. The pilot spoke off Father Point, in their way up in a boat, part of the crew of a new brig, wrecked near Gaspé. Does not know her name; she was from London in ballast.  
 
 
Quebec Gazette, May 25th, 1815.
 
      Arrival Ann, transport, Cowey, master, from Gaspé, having on board Captain Galloway, of His Majesty's Ship Penelope, wrecked on the night of the 30th of April, about 3 leagues to the eastward of Magdalen River, where upwards of forty of the crew perished. Mr. Anderson, the purser, Captain Morse, A.D.C. to Lieutenant General Sir George Murray, with four midshipmen and ten of the ships company are also in the Ann. The other officers and remaining part of the crew are onboard the Belvedere and the Cygnet transports, which sailed from Gaspé at the same time and are also arrived. We are sorry to say the loss in this case are very severe. The public dispatches being the only thing saved from the wreck.  

Index Next

1