SAMUEL GREEN, farmer and stock-raiser, Jack- son Township, is a native of this township and county, born October 31, 1830; son of Daniel and Peggy (Lair) Green, former a native of South Caro- lina, born October 17, 1783, latter a native of Ken- tucky, born July 13, 1795. Daniel Green was twice married; on first occasion in Kentucky, March 14, 1805, to Nancy Vardeman, a native of South Carolina, born October 18, 1789. They had a family of six children: Eliza, Lot, John, Milton, Betsey Ann and Washington. All have passed "beyond the river" except Lot and John. The mother died Oct. 13, 1825, and he after married, September 19, 1826, Mrs. Peggy Lair, by whom he had six children: Osa, born July 27, 1827, died August 18, 1872; Samantha, Samuel, Martha J., William and Orpha. Mr. Green died March 12, 1855, and his widow April 15, 1874. He came to this county March 12, 1812 and camped on the same ground where he died. Our subject received a common school education. He was married November 18, 1862, to Miss Mary J. Childers, who was born in this county July 8, 1834. By this union four children were born: Daniel R., Mary A., William S. and Lewis E. Mr. and Mrs. Green are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Green has a farm of 154 acres, located on Sections 23 and 26. He is a member of the L O. O. F. Everton, No. 139, and Nulltown Grange, No. 1883. History of Fayette County Indiana, Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. 1885, page 276. Call Number: US/CAN 977.2623h2hi (LDS Library) CHAPTER XXII. JACKSON TOWNSHIP. pp. 203-204 EARLY SETTLEMENT. Of those entering lands in 1811, Daniel Green was from one of the Carolinas, Charles and James Salyers from South Carolina, and John Eagan from Freder- ick County, Md., and Gabriel Ginn from Kentucky, all of whom were residents of their several tracts at about the date given. Charles Salyers was for eight years one of the County Commissioners, and Gabriel Ginn served as County Clerk and also as Sheriff for a number of years. It is said that Daniel Green, while prospecting for land further south in what is now Franklin County, in the year 1809, was attracted by the sound of a cow-bell and upon following it he came to a cabin occupied by John Eagan and family, situated along the river in what is now the township under consideration, some little distance south of the bridge over the river at Nulltown. Mr. Eagan was an Irishman. This Eagan settlement was the earliest in the township of which we have been able to get any knowledge, and it is with little doubt, if any, the first permanent settlement made in the town- ship. Mr. Green settled in the township in the spring of 1812. p. 205: EARLY SCHOOLS. Among the first built schoolhouses and cabins in which school was taught in the township may be mentioned one that stood northeast of Everton in Section 21. Here John Lee is thought to have taught a three months' school prior to 1817. Andrew Lewis and Lot Green are also remembered as teachers in this house. The next schoolhouse for this settlement was built in Section 26, Township 13, Range 13, on the Obe- diah Estis land. Lot Green is thought to have con- ducted the first school in this building. In the old log meeting-house that stood at the grave-yard on Poplar Ridge, and for a number of years served the Friends as their place of worship, school was some- times held.