Date: Mon Oct 11 12:07:57 1999
From: weavert@PRIMENET.COM ("T. Weaver")
Subject: Gun Buyback
To: AZRKBA@asu.edu
Some folks were wanting info on the buy-back. Here it is again. Also, St. Anthony's church is on First Avenue, North of Buckeye Road and South of Grant. It is between I-10 and I-17 (southern portion, past the Durango curve but before it reconnects with I-10). At the corner of S. First Ave and Hadley.
Copyright Oct 07, 1999, The Arizona Republic. Reproduced for educational/information puposes only. All typos my fault.
/begin story
Gun Buy-back program
What: Turn in a gun and get a $50 food certificate
When: Oct 23
Where: St. Anthony's Church, 909 S. First Avenue, South Phoenix
and Victory Outreach, 3424 N. 27th Avenue, West Phoenix
Information: 602/506-7092
"Surrounded by children and members of the community, Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox announced her third gun buy-back program Wednesday morning.
Wilcox said she and the program's other sponsors started the effort in 1996 because "We were going to too many funerals."
Anyone turning in a gun is given a $50 food certificate good at a variety of grocery stores around the Valley.
According to Wilcox, some past participants have been parents who didn't want their children to have access to weapons.
"I was amazed at how many people were interested," Wilcox said as she made the announcement at St. Anthony's Catholic Church in South Phoenix.
"People really wanted the food more than something like a merchandise certificate."
Phoenix City Councilman Cody Williams, a chairman for the program, said the buy-back is an effort to aid children (of course...Tim).
"Something needs to be done to protect our children," he said. "It's not a statement about who's responsible for the use of guns, but taking guns off the streets."
Williams added that while the buy-back program will not solve the program of gun violence, it is a good start.
"Every gun that comes in and could save a life is worth it," Williams said of the program.
Since its inception, the buy-back program has taken in more than 680 guns, and Wilcox hopes to collect at least 400 more this year.
Weapons turned in are taken by the Phoenix Police Department and destroyed. No questions are asked about the history of the weapon, Wilcox said.
Gun trigger locks are also being given out this year.
Wilcox became a victim of gun violence herself in 1997, when Larry Naman shot her in the left pelvis after a supervisors meeting.
She said the experience has continued to push her effort for the buy-back program's success.
Wilcox said her shooting may have been preventable, "If a program like this had been in place before."
/end story
Commentary: That last line is such utter and complete bullshit I cannot believe she may have said that with a straight face. To think that Naman would have turned in his gun(s) for a food certificate is as insane as he may be....also, what better place to get rid of that piece a gang-banger used in that drive-by...and make oney doing it.