24 November 2003 Violence erupts at boxing bout - Report from Sheffield Star
Police used CS spray as they battled with around 100 brawling spectators at a professional boxing event.
Three people suffered minor injuries in the fighting among the crowd of 1,000 people at the Magna Centre, Sheffield Road, Rotherham, on Sunday evening.
Police called for reinforcements after they came under a hail of plastic seats and at one stage more than 90 officers were involved.
The violence was blamed by organisers on Derby County football fans, who attended the bout to support Derby fighter Scott Haywood, an 18-year-old fighting in only his second professional contest against Arv Mittoo of Birmingham.
Boxer in tears
It was the first boxing event to be staged by the Magna Centre, which said it would be reviewing whether or not to hold such events in the future.
Boxing promoter Dave Coldwell said: "It was an absolutely fantastic evening which was ruined by a bunch of idiots wearing Derby County football shirts.
"Nobody from Rotherham or Sheffield was involved in the fighting. There were about 200 Derby fans and about 100 of them were fighting among themselves.
"It's such a shame for Scott. He was crying his eyes out.
"He is such a nice kid and I'm gutted for him because who's going to want to put him on again with this following?"
Seats thrown
A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: "A large-scale fight broke out between two groups of people in the auditorium and over 90 officers eventually had to be deployed to quell the violence.
"Three members of the public received minor injuries. They have sought medical attention.
"Minor damage was sustained to the premises and a window was broken on a police car outside.
"Temporary seating was thrown and officers forming a loose cordon to separate rival factions came under attack.
She confirmed that CS spray carried for the personal protection of officers had been used as part of the operation.
MAYHEM AT BOXER'S BOUT - report from Derbyshire Today
Supporters of a Derby boxer were last night embroiled in a disturbance which broke out following the up-and-coming star's second professional fight.
Police were forced to use tear gas to stop fighting at Rotherham's Magna Adventure Centre yesterday, where 200 fans had travelled from Derby to see Spondon boxer Scott Haywood.
The British Boxing Board of Control, which has launched an investigation into the disturbance, could ban the 22-year-old from the sport.
Now, he is telling troublemakers: "I do not want anything to do with you for as long as I live".
Violence first broke out in the 1,000-strong crowd during the third round of the former amateur star's bout against Birmingham's Arv Mittoo at about 5pm.
A tearful Mr Haywood jumped from the ring into the crowd to plead for his supporters to stop.
The disturbance was quashed after Mr Haywood, who had sold tickets himself touring Derby pubs, renewed his calls for calm over the microphone.
He continued the bout and won.
But, after the match, fighting flared again and more than 90 police officers with tear gas and dogs were called to quell the trouble. The following boxing matches were cancelled.
Mr Haywood, who was in his dressing room when the trouble started, said: "I couldn't believe it when I saw what was happening. It was horrible.
"These people are not my fans, they are just idiots. It is a small minority spoiling it for everybody else.
"I don't know who they are, but I will find out and I don't want anything more to do with them. I could be banned for this. I haven't cried for years but I couldn't stop after this. I'm just distraught."
Mr Haywood's manager Mike Shinfield said; "Scott's name will get attached to the violence. It's like football - if trouble happens at a football match, it's the club that can get punished. It's possible Scott could be banned but it's very unlikely.
"Scott's fans were involved, but they may not have been the instigators. His true fans will tell him which idiots were involved.
"There are all sorts of stories flying around. Some say the security people over-reacted," Mr Shinfield said.
Simon Block, general secretary of the Cardiff-based British Boxing Board of Control said is was launching an investigation and a tribunal to work out what happened.
"Somebody will have to be held to account. Our board will always want to investigate the conduct of boxers registered with us and anything that happens around them, as it reflects on us."
No arrests had been made yet, but three people received minor injuries, a window of a police car was smashed and some of the seating of the centre was ripped up and thrown.