The Capital Guards Monument

MONUMENT TO THE CAPITAL GUARDS
Company A, 6th Regiment Arkansas Infantry, C.S.A.
Little Rock, Arkansas

BY W.G. HUTTON
Commander, Robert C. Newton Camp, U.S.C.V.

The movement to erect this monument originated at a gathering of some of the members of the Robert C. Newton Camp, U.S.C.V., whose fathers were members of the Capital Guards of Little Rock, which later became Company A of the 6th Regiment Arkansas Infantry. There are many descendants of the members of this company residing in Little Rock, where the company was organized, as well as throughout the State, and it was thought a fitting tribute to the memory of these gallant soldiers, and would be an appropriate feature during the general reunion of the Confederate Veterans, to be held in Little Rock May 16, 17, and 18, 1911.

Many citizens of the city proposed to follow the example of other citizens by assisting in the erection of a monument which would be at all times an ornament to the city and an object of interest to its many visitors.

The monument was designed by Mr. Rudolph Schwarz, an eminent sculptor and artist, who studied for many years in Vienna and Berlin, and who had designed numerous beautiful Confederate monuments in various parts of the South, and who executed all the sculpture in the famous soldiers' an sailors' monument at Indianapolis, Indiana. The contract for the erection of the monument was given to the Muldoon Monument Company, of Louisville, Kentucky.

The monument represents a typical Confederate soldier, standing at guard, seven feet high, placed on a beautiful white (Barre) granite pedestal, fourteen feet high, all being artistically executed.

The words, "LEST WE FORGET" appear at the top of the pedestal.

On the die of the pedestal is the following inscription:

"To the Memory of the
CAPITAL GUARDS
Company A, 6th Arkansas Infantry
CLEBURNES'S DIVISION
1861 - 1865"

"'When his division defended, no odds could break its lines; when it attacked, no numbers resisted its onslaught' - Gen. Wm. J. Hardee"

The forgoing quotation is from General Hardees's report to the War Department after the fatal battle of Franklin, Tenn., referring to the death of General Patrick R. Cleburne.

At the base of the die is the following:

"Erected by friends and relatives of the Capital Guards and by the citizens of Little Rock, under the auspices of the Robert C. Newton Camp, United Sons of Confederate Veterans.
May 15th, 1911"

At the back of the monument is cut the full roster of the company, as originally mustered into service in 1861.

The monument will be erected in the historic City Park on the exact spot where the Company formed, fifty years ago, before leaving Little Rock.

From the Arkansas Gazette, May 18, 1911:

SHAFT TO CAPITAL GUARDS UNVEILED

Monument in City Park Is Dedicated to the Memory of the "Flower of Little Rock"

SHOWER OF 20,000 ROSES

Blossoms Fall When Young Ladies Pull Ribbons That Reveal Memorial to the Throng

On the same spot in the City park where the Capital Guards, the flower of Little Rock, assembled nearly 50 years ago to go forth to battle in the cause of the Confederacy, the daughter of one captain of the company and the granddaughter of another yesterday morning pulled the ribbons that unveiled a handsome monument to their memory. There followed a shower of 20,000 roses, which were gathered and distributed by little flower girls to the thousands of Confederate veterans assembled.

Three survivors of the celebrated Capital Guards, a number of distinguished Confederate veterans in uniform and hundreds of Little Rock society people, including many of the relatives and friends of the Guards, witnessed the impressive ceremony.

The monument was presented by the Robert C. Newton Camp, United Sons of Confederate Veterans, relatives and friends of the Guard and citizens of Little Rock, under the auspices of the Robert C. Newton Camp, some of the members of which had relatives in the famous company.

Inscription on Monument

It is inscribed to the memory of the Capital Guards, Company A, Sixth Arkansas Infantry, 1861-1865, and bears the following quotation from the official report of Gen. Hardee concerning Cleburne's division, of which this company was a part: "When his division defended, no odds could break its lines; when it attacked, no numbers resisted its onslaught."

Five members of this company now survive, three of whom were on the platform. Gathered on the platform also were many distinguished visitors, including Capt. Irving A. Buck, adjutant general on Cleburne's staff and author of "Cleburne and His Command," and Capt. G.A. Williams, chief of Gen. Govan's staff of the Govan's Arkansas brigade of Cleburne's division; Gen. R.G. Shaver and his staff; Mrs. W.J. Behan, president of the Confederate States Memorial Association; Mrs. T.J. Latham, president of the Tennessee Daughters of the Confederacy; Col. Joseph Reeves of Camden, past Commander-in-chief of the United Sons of Confederate Veterans; Thomas M. Owen of Alabama and Clarence J. Owens of Washington, W.M. Pritchard, newly-elected commander; Adjt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, grandson of the "Wizard of the Saddle," and the entire official staff U.S.C.V. and ladies. In addition, Mayor Taylor, W.G. Hutton, commander of the Robert C. Newton camp; members of the Robert C. Newton camp and many well-known society women and girls.

Judge Ratcliffe Presides

Judge W.C. Ratcliffe, first lieutenant of the Capital Guards when it was mustered out of service, acted as master of ceremonies, and made a stirring speech, in which he recalled the events of a half century ago, and named the five surviving members. "We were gay then - all gay," said Judge Ratcliffe. "We did not appreciate what was before us. I remember one good lady who bade us good-bye and cheered us to battle, Mrs. Gordon N. Peay, wife of the captain of the company. This good lady is not here today, but her beautiful granddaughter, Miss Helen Peay, is here to assist in these unveiling ceremonies."

Dr. Charles R. Hyde offered prayer, declaring that, "We are proud of the legacy of the heroic deeds of those who died for us, and with loving hearts dedicate this monument today, 'Lest We Forget.' While we raise a monument we thank God for something that is more enduring, which is a people's love. God of our Fathers, help us to celebrate the heroism of our sires as long as time endures."

Rev. P.C. Fletcher Speaks

Rev. P.C. Fletcher, pastor of the Winfield Memorial Church was introduced and made an address, which was loudly cheered. "It has been truly said," Mr. Fletcher stated, "that commercialism does not represent the wealth of a nation, but that it is represented by the character of its great men. Arkansas will not be known by its red apples and cotton, but by the enduring names of her great citizens. God forbid that we should ever forget the achievements of the old South, which wielded the destiny of this nation 200 years, which gave us our first president and gave us the Declaration of Independence. Ladies and gentlemen, the old South was the land of bravery, chivalry, romance, blue blood, cotton, corn, negroes, and watermelons. Alas, there were too many negroes and not enough watermelons. The only difference in the North and South now is the difference between hot biscuits and cold lightbread. We are living today, thanks God, under one flag, in peace and prosperity."

Fay Hempstead, poet laureate of Freemasonry, then read a poem entitled "At Camp Shaver," in which high tribute was paid to the Capital Guards. After the recitation of the poem, there wa an address by Captain Irving A. Buck of Front Royal, Va., adjutant general on Cleburne's staff, in which he spoke in splendid terms of the valor and courage of the Arkansas Division and the private soldier, following which came the unveiling ceremonies.

Monument is Unveiled

Miss Mary Fletcher, daughter of Col. John G. Fletcher, once captain of the Guards, stood at the east side of the monument, holding a blue ribbon, while Miss Helen Frances Peay, granddaughter of Gordon N. Peay, first captain of the Guards, stood on the south side, beside her father, Gordon N. Peay, holding a white ribbon. At a signal from Judge Ratcliffe, repeated to the young ladies by Charles Taylor, herald of the R.C. Newton camp, Misses Fletcher and Peay pulled the ribbons while the band played "Dixie" and the old veterans assembled shouted at the tops of their voices. The screen fell away, with a shower of roses, the tall granite shaft stood revealed.

Young society women of the city, including Misses Juliette Kettering, Margaret Niemayer, Nell Davidson, Frances Van Frank, Virginia Ferguson, Louise Stevenson, Annette Brown, Mary Hammett, Lilia Holmes, Joyce Manning, Flossie Jones, Elizabeth McCarthy and Nanette Ellison, appointed as maids, laid armfuls of flowers on the base of the monument, which were taken up and distributed among the veterans outside the roses, who scrambled over each other to receive the decorations. The flower girls were: Lucy Marion Reeves, Rebecca Davis, Louise Buerkle, Martha Barnett, Dorothy Niemayer, Alice Niemayer, Irma Tucker, Katherine Butler, Lucy Fly, and Frances Vogler. While this was being done, the Robert C. Newton camp drum and bugle corps played and was awarded a great ovation.

Speech of Presentation

Judge Ratcliffe, in a short speech, then presented the monument to the city of Little Rock, and Mayor Charles Taylor accepted it on behalf of the city. Mayor Taylor then introduced Miss Katherine Bankman, queen of the Robert C. Newton camp, and her maid of honor, Miss Margaret Niemayer, and escorted them to the base of the monument where they placed wreaths of pure white roses.

The funeral dirges before the unveiling and "Dixie" were rendered by the University of Arkansas band. The work of preparing the monument for the ceremonies, including the decoration with roses, was by the Monument Committee, Fred Hotze, chairman, and W.B. Pletz.

   
   

[ Home | Standards | Events | History | Research | Links | Message Board | Newsletters ]
1