The first celebration of the Mass on Mount Barney. For the
first time in the history of the Club, Holy Mass was celebrated outdoors by the Club Chaplain
Father W. Hays. The site selected for this wonderful event was Mt Barney and a party of 58
club members and visitors participated in the trip which was held on Exhibition Wednesday,
17th August 1960.
Setting out from a campsite a short distance from the Bushwalkers Ridge
(now known as Peasants Ridge), on a bright sunny morning, the main party of 40 reached the
saddle between East and West Peaks at 11.30 am, selected a site and set up a satisfactory
altar of flat rocks a short distance up East Peak. There the necessary equipment, vestments
etc. (which for carrying purposes had been divided among the various members of the party in
order that everyone might participate more fully in the event) were made ready.
The location was one of beauty and inspiration to the participants in the Mass which commenced at noon
following the arrival of the second party numbering 18, which had ascended by way of North
Ridge. Peter Lillis and John Power served at the mass. During Mass Father Hayes spoke briefly
of the important events through the ages which had taken place on mountains and of the
significance of the present Mass.
Afterwards a cairn of stones was built to mark the spot on
which Mass had been celebrated and permission has been obtained from the relevant authorities
for a plaque commemorating the occasion to be affixed to this cairn.
On the Saturday afternoon of May 13, 1961, a brass plaque commemorating the Mass said by
Fr Hayes on Mt Barney on Exhibition Wednesday of the previous year, was set in the rock used
as an altar. This rock has now come to be known as the “Mass Rock”.
The inscription on the plaque reads as follows
“HOLY MASS WAS SAID HERE ON 17-8-60 BY REV. FR. W. HAYES FIRST PRESIDENT CHAPLAIN OF THE
BRISBANE CATHOLIC BUSHWALKING CLUB”
As Mt Barney is a National Park,
special permission for this was obtained from the Minister for Forestry and Agriculture.
The work of setting the plaque took most of the afternoon, as the rock had to be cut back to
a level recess and drilled to take the holding screws, and it was not until the last ray of
day was shafting golden on high battlements of the mountain, that the job was completed.
Also set in the rock just below the plaque was a metal Club badge left at the site last
Easter by Father Hayes who was paying his last visit there before going to Ireland. A log
book in a muntz metal container was left at the site and its opening entry reads :- “ A
record for all those who pass by this place on the magnificent mountain. Commenced Saturday
May 13th 1961”
The party spent the Saturday night in the old University Hut with a roaring
log fire to take the chill out of the early winter air. At dawn on the Sunday morning, on
leaving the hut, John Power and I were struck with the sight of the Morning Star shining
large and bright in the grey sky just above the crest of East Peak somewhat towards the
North Peak. It was a strange coincidence for us to see the “Star” in this position from
behind the East and North Peaks, the reverse of the way we had visualized it for the Club
badge.
As we started to climb the dark slope of the East Peak to gain the summit for sunrise,
the West Peak was just beginning to turn golden under the first light of the day, while
overhead two great eagles were planeing in the updraft of the fresh cold air blowing up the
slopes of the mountain. This was the inspiration of the poem which John Power wrote in
Ireland, just before commencing his studies for the priesthood at the Abbey at Loughrea,
County Clare.
DUCE MARIA See! She softly sheds her light, Hung in the filmy veil of night; And smiles
with sweet serenity, To guide us into the portals of eternity. She, the evening star, our
Queen, Before all ages, promised she had been; And ever, more shalt never cease to be,
Through her, may yet we know, the Infinite Majesty. By Fr. John Power.
The exact reason for the Club’s tradition of a pilgrimage to a mountain top for the
Annual Mass seems to have been misplaced in the mists of time. It certainly seems like a
good idea but I thought there may be some special reason. I did some research in the old
Club records that I could locate. I found the records of when the first mass was held but it
didn’t explicitly state the rationale behind the idea of a Mass on Mt Barney.
Perhaps the Club was simply adopting the seemingly common practice of making a pilgrimage to a mountain.
Throughout the world in many cultures mountains are viewed as links between humans and the
spiritual world. To the people of many faiths, the act of travelling to a sacred site for
the purpose of religious observance is itself a spiritual experience. For many religious
pilgrims, the arrival at a sacred site is the goal of the pilgrimage. But for others, the
act of travelling to a sacred site for the purpose of religious observance is itself a
spiritual experience; the journey itself constitutes a personal spiritual experience.
A Pilgrimage is always a search for God and God’s goodness. True pilgrimage has to do with a
change of heart. The outward journey serves to frame an inner journey: a journey of
repentance and rebirth; a journey which seeks a deeper faith, greater holiness; a journey in
search of God.
The Club’s first Chaplain was a Father William Hayes who was from Ireland and
perhaps he was following the tradition in Ireland where there are several well known
pilgrimages of climbing a mountain and celebrating Mass on top.
The most famous pilgrimage
in Ireland is at Croagh Patrick where there is a yearly pilgrimage in commemoration of
St Patrick. Reportedly Saint Patrick spent 40 days of Lent on top of the mountain as a means
of converting Ireland to Christianity. (See article about Croagh Patrick.)
For the early
Christian monks, the concept of pilgrimage was closely tied with the Christian notion of
penance. Monks would often embark on pilgrimages as a way of seeking out a place which would
reveal God to them.
In Ireland men and women soon took up the practice of pilgrimage as a
means of discovering their own path to God. Along their way, pilgrims would leave tangible
signs of their journey such as pilgrims’ stones, which are rudely fashioned crosses, or
small mounds of stones called cairns. The stones represented either a prayer or the
completion of the pilgrimage. The Celtic pilgrims were searching for a deeper faith and an
inner peace with God.
One of the other major themes of Celtic spirituality: is the immanent
presence of God, which means that God is everywhere For Celtic Christians, God was a key
part of all things natural and beautiful. Celtic Christians praised God’s design and
creation of all things natural. The hills, the sky, the sea, the forests were not God, but
their spiritual qualities revealed God and were connected to God. Places where people feel
most strongly connected with God’s presence are referred to as 'thin places'. It is in these
thin places, like mountain tops, where the seen and unseen worlds are most closely connected
and inhabitants of both worlds can momentarily touch the other. In Celtic spirituality these
'thin places' are places where it is possible to touch and be touched by God, as well as the
angels, saints and those who have died.
I can readily understand that Mount Barney with its
own unique atmosphere could be regarded as having the feel of a 'thin place'
Phil Murray
Croagh Patrick - Renowned as Ireland's holy mountain, Croagh Patrick,
or the Reek as it is known by locals, dominates the skyline on Mayo's west coast and from
the summit the unobstructed view of Mayo's beautiful landscape attracts pilgrims and
hill-climbers from near and far. The mountain is 765 m high. Croagh Patrick is on the west
coast of Ireland and is situated near the town of Westport in County Mayo, Ireland. It is
approximately 92 km north of Galway and 230 km west of Dublin. The main pilgrimage route
originates in the village of Murrisk, 8km outside Westport.
In the Irish Christian tradition
the ascent is undertaken as an act of penance for wrongdoing, and many of the pilgrims climb
barefooted or even on their knees. For the Celtic peoples of Ireland it was the dwelling
place of the deity Crom Dubh and the principal site of the harvest festival of Lughnasa,
traditionally held around August. The ancient practice at Mt. Croagh Patrick had nothing
to do with matters of penance and supposed wrongdoing. The mountain was a sanctuary for the
giving of thanks and the celebration of life's abundance. In particular the dome shaped
mountain was a natural representation of a pregnant woman’s abdomen.
Croagh Patrick holds
a unique place in Irish Catholic history thanks to St Patrick. Legend has it that as he
laboured up the mountain the demon Corra descended upon him. St. Patrick fought the demon
with his staff and finally banished the beast by throwing his silver bell at her. She
blackened the bell, turning it to iron and then fled screeching to Lough Derg. Upon
reaching the summit, St. Patrick drew himself up and offered blessings to the land of Eire
and her people. Holding aloft his bell, he rang and called aloud to banish the snakes of
the land to the great green sea of gloom. From the
rocks and the land the serpents of the island fled in fear, never to return. For 40 nights
St. Patrick held vigil on the great mountain, praying and fasting to save the island people
from their heathen ways. His pilgrimage to the mountain gained the converted the promise
that those who perform penance shall surely not go to hell.
The belief that penance,
especially in the form of physical denial or suffering, brings God,s forgiveness is ingrained
in the Irish character and helps explains why pilgrimages are popular. There are those who
suggest that the banishing of the snakes is a metaphor for the banishing of the heathen
priests from Ireland. It is estimated that nearly one million pilgrims climb to the summit
each year; as many as forty thousand climb the mountain on the last Sunday in July.
The Club in its early days adopted many of the traditions from
the Sydney Catholic Bushwalking Club but how did the Brisbane Club get started ? The genesis
of the Club seems to have been set in motion when a Father William Hayes was assigned to the
Parish of Yeronga in 1957. There he met with a Raoul Mellish, an experienced Bushwalker.
One
day they were discussing the striking appeal of a high mountain peak named Mt. Barney and
decided to venture out on a few bushwalks. Early in September 1957 they were visiting the
Glasshouse Mountains and after climbing Mt. Beerwah the conversation turned to the idea of
forming a Catholic bushwalking club to cater for both the spiritual and material needs of
bushwalkers.
On the last Sunday of October 1957 a short notice appeared in the Catholic
Leader inviting intending members to contact Fr Hayes. Another notice appeared in the Leader
to advise that the first outing of the club would be to Mt. Tibrogargan on Sunday 1st
December 1957.
The trip was attended by 27 people. According to the 25th Anniversary booklet
it is on this day that the Club could be said to have been established. The first meeting
was held on Thursday 10th January 1958. The Club’s constitution was modeled on the Catholic
Bushwalking Club of Sydney and we also adopted their Patron “Our Lady of the Way” as the
patron of the Brisbane Club.
As a point of interest, Raoul Mellish was the artist who did the
drawing of Mt. Lindsay that the Club now uses for the front cover of the Jilalan magazine.
The first year of the Club was very busy with many walks having over 40 people on the trip.
The Club has since that time waxed and waned like the moon.
Phil Murray.
Back in September 1957 Fr Willie Hayes of the Yeronga
Parish met Raoul, a very keen bushwalker and rockclimber. They quickly came up
with an idea to do buskwalk to Mt Beerwah in the
So, in the last Sunday in October 1957, a short
notice in the Catholic Leader invited intending members or interested people to contact Father Hayes. After receiving
several enquiries, things were looking very positive and another notice
was inserted in the Leader announcing that the first Club outing would take
place on Sunday, 1st of December and the venue was to be Mt Tibrogargan.
The day was extremely hot and hazy but successful
nevertheless, and according to the first annual report “the Club could be said
to have been established on this date.”
I hope many current and former members can come along
and celebrate this significant milestone in the Club.
Back in September 1957
Fr Willie Hayes of the Yeronga Parish met Raoul, a very keen bushwalker and
rockclimber. They quickly came up with an idea to do buskwalk to Mt Beerwah in
the
So, in the last Sunday
in October 1957, a short notice in the Catholic Leader invited intending members or interested people to contact Father Hayes.
After receiving several enquiries, things were looking very positive and another
notice was inserted in the Leader announcing that the first Club outing would
take place on Sunday, 1st of December and the venue was to be Mt Tibrogargan.
The day was extremely
hot and hazy but successful nevertheless, and according to the first annual
report “the Club could be said to have been established on this date.”
THE START OF THE CLUB
EXTRACT FROM CATHOLIC
LEADER
"PROPOSED CATHOLIC BUSHWALKING CLUB FOR
In recent years, bushwalking has become a popular
pastime for many Australians.
For some years now
There are many places within easy distance of the
city which would be suitable for one day trips. Properly organised, full
weekend trips could also be arranged in such places, for instance, at Lamington
Plateau, where Sunday Mass is often provided.
Having received His Grace’s approval for the
formation of a Catholic Club in
If anyone interested would contact Father Hayes of
Yeronga and leave with him the necessary personal details, he or she will be
advised in due course of the date and place for this meeting.
In the meantime, arrangements could be made for a
preliminary outing, so that prospective members may get to know one another.
EXTRACT FROM
CATHOLIC LEADER
THURSDAY DEC 5,
1957 - PAGE 15
"FIRST OUTING OF CATHOLIC BUSHWALKING CLUB"
On last Sunday, 1st December, Father W. Hayes and
twenty-six other prospective members of the proposed Brisbane Catholic
Bushwalker's Club went for a days outing to the
The site chosen for lunch was a spot beside a pool
near the foot of
Visibility from the top was poor owing to the amount
of bush-fire smoke in the atmosphere. The only commanding features of the view
were the delicate spire of
On returning from the hot parched slopes of the mountain,
the most welcome feature of the day was the long, refreshing swim in the shaded
pool. In the cool of the evening the pleasantly tired party rounded off the
day’s activity with a leisurely walk to the station to catch their train.
It is proposed to hold the inaugural general meeting
of the Club on
Plans are being made for the first official weekend
outing which will be held at O'Reilly’s Lamington Plateau, on the long weekend
at the end of January, where Mass will be provided.
In the meantime others interested may leave personal
particulars with Father Hayes, Yeronga,
phone JW 2134.
Web: http://catholicleader.com.au/
The Club over its 46 year
history has only had the one Club badge . The badge was designed in the first year of the Club.
In the Club’s first Annual Report for the year 1958 to 1959 there was an article about the design of the Club badge as follows:
The triangle shape of the club badge
is a geometric representation of a three peaked mountain which is based on the shape
that Mt. Barney displays when viewed from the north east with its three main peaks of
East, North and Leaning in descending order
from left to right. The badge also represents a characteristic
bushwalking setting: a campfire at night with tents behind it, and in the distance a
mountain rearing its three-peaked mass against the sky with the evening star shining over
it all. The evening star has been taken to represent Our Lady. The morning star is one of
Mary’s titles in the Litany. The morning star is also of course the evening star. Her
guidance is shown by the three beams of light which descend to the three summits of the mountain
peaks and the two tents have been placed so that they are in line with the outer beams while
the central fire is in line with the middle beam. The fire symbolizes the enthusiasm of the
club and it rises from two pieces of wood in the form of a cross. The Latin motto is
“DUCE MARIA” which means “Mary, Our Leader”. It is a constant plea to “Our Lady of the Way,
the Club’s patroness , for guidance.
Phil Murray
MADONNA DELLA STRADA
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_the_Way
Madonna Della Strada or Santa Maria Della Strada - Italian
meaning Our Lady of the Way,
is a title of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Way was what
the earliest Christians
called its community.
The founder of the Society of
Jesus, Saint
Ignatius of Loyola, claimed to have been
protected by the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary during battle in his
service as a Basque soldier.
It was that intercession that inspired him to establish the religious order
that would become known as the “Jesuits”, in order to defend the Roman Catholic
Church, launching a Catholic Reformation in response to the Protestant Reformation sparked by the
former Roman Catholic priest Martin Luther.
She is the patroness of the Society of
Jesus religious order (Jesuits) of the Roman Catholic Church.
A famous and the original painting
of Madonna Della Strada from the 15th century
is enshrined
at the Church of the Gesu in
Rome, mother church
of the Society of Jesus. In 1541, Pope
Paul III assigned the
The Feast Day of Our Lady of the Way is 24th
May.
ST BRIGID’S PARISH