NSGA HANZA
"53 YEARS OF FAITHFUL SERVICE"

Cover of "The Keystone Log", a commemorative
book published upon the closing of NSGA Hanza on June 1, 1998

"The name 'Hanza' is from the old Okinawan name for the present day Namihara Village, north of the site; to the east is the village of Sobe whose name is also associated with the command. And while we affectionately refer to ourselves as NSGA Hanza, or often simply as Hanza, the truth is we had very different names in the past."

NAVAL SUPPLEMENTARY RADIO STATION
July 1945-January 1947
 
NAVY COMMUNICATIONS SUPPORT FACILITY
January 1947-November 1949
 
NAVY COMMUNICATIONS UNIT 37 TEGAN
November 1949-1955
 
NAVY COMMUNICATIONS UNIT 37 FUTENMA
1955-August 1957
 
NAVAL SECURITY GROUP ACTIVITY FUTENMA
August 1957-August 1960
 
NAVAL SECURITY GROUP ACTIVITY HANZA
August 1960-June 1968
 

IN THE BEGINNING....

The ubiquitous quonset hut -- home of NavSuppRadSta Hanza in '45

The group photo above was taken in August 1945. This was the original Naval Supplementary Radio Station near the small town of Aragusku, in a field of rice patties and sweet potatoes. Left to Right: H. Shaw. RM1/C; B. Williams, RM1/C; R. Katzenberger, RM1/C; W. Graves, RM1/C, Mriller, RM3/C. (Photo provided by Richard S. Katzenberger, former C.O., LT, USN (ret)

And finally, the end, 53 Years Later...

 

Back to Home Page

1