
|
PRESENTED COLOR
When the regiments of the Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteer Corps began mustering out in the spring of 1864, those veterans who had re-enlisted, together with all the new recruits, were retained in service. In late May, these survivors were formed as the 190th and 191st Pennsylvania regiments. The flag presented to the original Bucktails (13th Reserves) by the 149th Pennsylvania in 1863 was retained for use by the 190th Pennsylvania. When formed, these two regiments engaged the enemy at Cold Harbor, then at White Oak Swamp (June 13) and the initial operations at Petersburg (June 17-18). During the engagement at the Weldon Railroad (August 19th), most of the soldiers in both regiments were employed as skirmishers. The bulk of both units was captured when the enemy suddenly outflanked the skirmish line. The flag was also captured and was returned in 1905 by the War Department.
STATE COLORS
After the capture of over six hundred officers and men, the survivors were reorganized and participated in the fighting at Poplar Spring Church on October 1. Over the winter, the regiments took part in a raid to tear up the Weldon Railroad some thirty miles south of Petersburg (December 8-9). In January 1865, Evans & Hassall completed new state colors for both units. These flags were carried in the February 5-7 action at Hatcher’s Run, then in the series of combats known as Quaker Road, White Oak Road, and Five Forks (March 29 – April1). Following Lee’s surrender at Appomattox, the regiments moved to Washington, took part in the Grand Review, and were mustered out of service on June 28th. Both state colors were included in the 1866 proceedings.
SOURCE:
"Advance the Colors!" - Pennsylvania Civil War Battle Flags. Volume II, Pages 492-493. Author Richard A. Sauers ~ Capitol Preservation Committee
Website Maintained by August J. Marchetti III
Copyright © 2003
|