Stoke Hall


A view of the Stoke Hall frontage, from accross Stoke Street: mock Tudor gables, red brick and stone details.

-
The entrance nearest to Stoke Bridge (above left) has been left in its weather-beaten state; further up the slope towards the Belstead Road junction the refurbishment due to conversion into flats has resulted in a much cleaner version. The traditional chisel capitals on the lintel are stained to stand out against the white stone.

The foundation stones which lie between the two entrances tell a story of collective fund-raising for this building. The weather has degraded some of the lettering:

'LAID BY THE REV. HENRY T. POPE D.D.
SECRETARY OF THE WESLYAN METHODIST HOME MISSION COMMITTEE
William Bell, Superintendent of The Committee.'
'This Stone Was Laid By
ALFRED JERMYN Esq. J.P.
MAYOR OF KINGS LYNN
JUNE 15th. 1898.
Eade and Jonas, Architects, Ipswich.'
'And By The
REV. JOHN GOULD
CHAIRMAN OF THE EAST ANGLIAN DISTRICT
(further memorial unreadable here)'

'MUSEUM STREET
ADULT BIBLE CLASS'

'CAPEL AND BRAMFORD SOCIETIES'

Home
Copyright throughout this site belongs to Borin Van Loon, 2003.
1