Rams News


Pace set to do battle with `total package'
09/19 02:07 AM

By Jim Thomas
Of the Post-Dispatch Staff


When Bruce Smith played his first NFL game in 1985 against San Diego, the Chargers offensive line included Ed White.
White, 51, now helps coach the Rams' offensive line along with Jim Hanifan. Smith, 35, is still playing defensive end for the Buffalo Bills -- 205 games and 154 quarterback sacks later.
As one of the most dominant defensive players in NFL history, Smith is a sure Hall of Famer.
If Orlando Pace, 23, wants to be christened ``future Hall of Famer,'' he can start making his reputation Sunday in Buffalo. In one of those marquee in-the-trenches matchups, Pace will be going head-to-head much of the afternoon against Smith from his offensive tackle spot.
Pace's mission: To prevent Smith from turning Tony Banks into kindling.
``It'll be a great challenge,'' Pace said, in his typical understated fashion. ``He's the best at what he does, and I've just got to prepare for that.''
Pace took tape home with him during the week to study Smith.
``I think he has the total package,'' Pace said. ``He has some strength, and yet he's going to show all types of moves.''
And quickness. Pace, remember, lost 25 pounds during the offseason to increase his quickness, foot speed, and balance. Any added quickness will come in handy Sunday against Smith.
Smith missed the Bills' season opener against San Diego as he continued to rehabilitate from offseason knee surgery. He made his '98 debut last week against Miami, registering 10 tackles and one-half sack.
``He still does all the same things he did as a younger player,'' Rams coach Dick Vermeil said. ``He still sacks the quarterback. He still pressures. He still slips blocks and penetrates and throws you for a loss on a running play. He's an amazing athlete. He has tremendous balance. He's a very, very graceful guy.''
On the field, anyway. Smith grumbled in the offseason when teammate Ted Washington signed a five-year, $27.3 million contract. Smith figured he had earned the right to be the Bills' highest-paid defensive player. So when Smith missed the opener, a mini-controversy erupted in Buffalo. Some observers wondered if Smith sat out the Chargers game in protest.
``He was hurt,'' Bills coach Wade Phillips insisted. ``He came off a knee injury. He didn't play in any of the preseason. I think people reacted a little bit differently because it was him.
``If it had been a different guy's name, and he didn't practice any in the preseason, or play in any of the preseason games, and you said he wasn't ready for the first game, nobody would have said anything. But Bruce Smith, they seem to think he's superhuman, that he can just walk out on the field and play.''
Smith, in fact, experienced some swelling in the knee after playing all but four defensive plays against Miami. He sat out Thursday's practice and did some limited work Friday. But he'll be ready to go against Pace on Sunday.
No. Make that ready to go by Pace on Sunday.
``I would like to believe that Orlando Pace can hold his own with anybody he plays at any time,'' Vermeil said. ``Even at this time in his career.''




ARCHIVE


HOME

1