![]() |
Rams News |
![]() |
Rams' Hill, Holcombe won't be on field vs. Saints
09/05 01:34 AM
By Elizabethe Holland
Of the Post-Dispatch Staff
In a stunning announcement Friday, Rams coach Dick Vermeil said second-round draft pick Robert Holcombe, the top producer in the Rams' preseason with 100 yards on 19 carries, and former Chief Greg Hill, the second-best contributor with 89 yards on 23 carries, won't take the field Sunday against New Orleans at the Trans World Dome.
The preseason fan favorites will be on the bench.
Vermeil said both backs will be on the squad's list of seven inactive players. Holcombe was one of four inactives listed Friday. Vermeil said he plans to list Hill as one of the three additional inactives he is required to report Sunday. However, the coach may change his decision on Hill up to 90 minutes before game time.
Of little surprise, Jerald Moore will start at running back. Of considerable surprise, June Henley will be the backup instead of Holcombe or Hill.
``Our second-best third-down receiver is June Henley and we feel the most knowledgeable in our total passing scheme, in terms of routes and adjustments and blitz pickups,'' Vermeil said.
Henley was a member of the Rams practice squad last year. In the 1997 draft, he was a fifth-round pick -- 163rd overall -- of the Kansas City Chiefs.
Holcombe was the Rams' second-round pick, and 37th overall, in April. Hill was signed as a free agent Aug. 4 after having spent four seasons with the Chiefs, where last season he was the team's leading rusher with 157 carries for 550 yards.
Vermeil said Hill has not disappointed him in any way. But the coach did mention that had Hill signed when the Rams first pursued him, things might be different. Hill turned down an offer before the draft that would have paid him $600,000 more than he eventually signed for.
``He could have solved the whole problem by signing for a lot more money in the spring,'' Vermeil said. ``Sometimes there's a price to pay for the things you do.''
Hill was visibly upset while talking to Vermeil about the matter after Friday's practice. The player refused to comment on the issue, only saying, ``No comment. Ask him (Vermeil).''
Vermeil said Holcombe needs a lot of work and must beat out the backs ahead of him on the depth chart.
Holcombe said he was surprised by the decision and that he feels he has grasped his role well.
``I haven't missed a football game in three years, so it's something that's new to me,'' he said. ``I'm just going to have to be patient about it.''
Friday inactives: The inactives include Holcombe and three injured players: LB Roman Phifer (hamstring), C Mike Gruttadauria (knee) and WR Az-Zahir Hakim (hand).
Rams lineup: Vermeil said he probably won't start recently signed defensive end Mike D. Jones. Instead, Jay Williams will start at right end. Lorenzo Styles will start as an outside linebacker in place of Phifer.
Toby Wright might not play Sunday, depending on the condition of his knee. The safety tore some scar tissue in his knee during last week's exhibition game against the Chiefs, so the Rams medical staff will make the call on his status Sunday, Vermeil said. If it's determined Wright can't play, Billy Jenkins Jr. will start in his place.
Ironhead watch: Recently released Rams running back Craig ``Ironhead'' Heyward visited the Jacksonville Jaguars on Friday. Should the team sign him, it could mean trouble for former Missouri running back Ron Janes, who is on the Jaguars' roster.
![]() |
![]() |