Rams News


McNeil agrees to one-year deal with Rams
08/31 10:39 PM

By Jim Thomas
Of the Post-Dispatch


Ryan McNeil is under contract and ready to play football.
The Rams cornerback ended his holdout Monday night by signing a one-year deal for $3 million. In exchange, the Rams agreed not to name McNeil a franchise player for next season.
``Both sides compromised, and both sides found it was mutually in our best interest to get this thing done,'' McNeil said. ``It took some time. A lot longer than I would like. I'm sure a lot longer than the Rams would like. But in the final analysis, I'm happy, and I think that's really important.''
McNeil is happy because he will get a chance to test his value on the open market at the end of this season, unless he and the Rams agree on a multiple-year contract before the start of the free agency period in February.
In signing for $3 million, McNeil agreed to play for less than the team's original franchise player tender offer $3.2 million. But in agreeing to drop the franchise label at the end of the year, the Rams also made a significant concession.
The Rams retain the right to designate McNeil a transition player next season, meaning they could match any contract offer from another team but would get no draft pick compensation if they chose not to match. As a franchise player, the Rams would have been entitled to draft pick compensation.
``Now I can find out my true market value,'' McNeil said. ``We can't speculate about it. We can't guess. It'll be what it is. What the market dictates. You look forward to that. In order to maximize it, you've got to play well. And I expect to play well.''
But when will McNeil be ready to play? He has missed all of the team's offseason conditioning program, both minicamps, all of training camp, and all four preseason games.
``I wish I could tell you,'' coach Dick Vermeil said. ``I don't want to base it on last year because it took quite a bit of time. I don't think it will be anything close to that this year, because he knows what's expected of him. He knows what to do, mentally and physically.''
The Rams today will ask the league for a two-game roster exemption for McNeil. Once they get it, they can dock McNeil for two weeks' pay -- a total of $376,000 -- if he doesn't play in those two games. But Jay Zygmunt, the Rams' executive vice president, said the team will not withhold any pay from McNeil even if he doesn't play.
Once McNeil even dresses for a game, the exemption is over. McNeil wants to participate in at least a few plays in Sunday's season opener against New Orleans. ``I think I can pick up where I left off last year,'' McNeil said. ``I'm ready to roll.''
Ram-blings: Wide receiver Donald Sellers, linebacker Jason Chorak and offensive tackle Jeremy McKinney were signed to the practice squad. Defensive end Corey Sears and wide receiver Russell Shaw are expected to be added to the squad today. All five players were cut by the Rams within the past nine days. Sears was claimed by San Francisco on waivers but subsequently failed his physical because of a knee injury.
Defensive lineman Bryan Robinson, released Sunday by the Rams, was claimed by Chicago. . . . Fullbacks Ryan Christopherson and Chad Levitt and tight end Rod Lewis worked out Monday for the Rams. All were recently cut: Christopherson by Denver, Levitt by Oakland and Lewis by San Diego.



ARCHIVE


HOME

1