![]() |
Rams News |
![]() |
Backfield gains reinforcements
08/10
By Jim Thomas
Of the Post-Dispatch
MACOMB, Ill. -- The Rams' backfield picture got crowded Monday, when Robert Holcombe and Jerald Moore returned to practice. Additional reinforcements are on the way today, when former Minnesota Viking James Stewart hits the practice field.
Stewart, 26, has agreed to terms on a Rams contract and is expected to sign today. Stewart, 6 feet 2, 246 pounds, was a fifth-round draft choice by the Vikings in 1995 from the University of Miami (Fla.).
He gained 144 yards in 31 carries in four games as an NFL rookie but hasn't played in a regular-season game since. The Rams plan to look at him at fullback, where they currently have only Derrick Harris and Raymond Priester.
To make room for Stewart on the 80-man training camp roster, the Rams will release defensive end Glenn Young Jr., a rookie free agent from Vanderbilt.
Moore and Holcombe took regular turns on the practice field Monday for the first time in more than a week. Moore, who started the final five games last season after the release of Lawrence Phillips, had been sidelined with a badly bruised shoulder.
The injury has bothered Moore off and on for the past couple of weeks. It started to feel better, but then Moore said he tried to practice again, ``and banged it up a little more. Then I realized how bad it was.''
Vermeil has been critical of Moore during his down time, citing his history of lost practice time because of injuries.
``I know I need to practice,'' Moore said. ``If (Denver) was a regular-season game, then there would have been no problem for me to go out there and play. . . . But we've got a long season to go.''
Holcombe, the Rams' second-round pick, had been out with a strained hamstring since July 30.
``I'm up to speed,'' Holcombe said. ``The thing now is just to get that stamina back up.''
Tonight's the night: The Rams' scheduled Wednesday night practice at Hanson Field has been moved up a day, to 7 tonight.
![]() |
![]() |