![]() |
Rams News |
![]() |
McNeil comes to Rams camp, but not to put down stakes
06/09 06:47 PM
By Elizabethe Holland
Of the Post-Dispatch Staff
Veteran cornerback Ryan McNeil surfaced Tuesday at Rams Park, but he visited only to touch base with Dick Vermeil and other coaches, chat with teammates and pick up his mail.
Missing from his list of must-dos: Sign a contract and prepare for minicamp later this week.
McNeil, designated as the team's franchise player Feb. 13, remains in a stalemate with the Rams regarding a contract and probably will not participate in minicamp Thursday through Sunday.
McNeil's agent, Brian Ransom, is pushing for $27 million over five years, including a $10 million signing bonus, for the sixth-year player. The Rams' offer: a four-year, $13 million deal that would include a $3.6 million signing bonus.
As a franchise player, McNeil is guaranteed the average salary of the five highest-paid cornerbacks in the NFL last season: $3.22 million for one year.
``I think everybody is in a quandary, bewilderment, why the deal hasn't been done,'' said McNeil, who was in St. Louis to take part in a charity golf tournament that was canceled Monday because of rain.
``I don't have a crystal ball, I can't tell you what's going to happen, when it's going to happen. I just have faith enough that it's going to happen. And I'm patient enough to wait.''
McNeil said that for the past two months he's been working out for 2 hours every day with his trainer in Miami. Meanwhile, he has missed the Rams' offseason conditioning activities, and it appears he will miss the second of two minicamps.
Training-wise, McNeil said, his absence should be of little concern.
``I know what it takes to be ready, I know what it takes to have your best game in place, and I think with the year, with our defensive system under my belt, I think not only myself but our whole team is going to be a whole lot better,'' he said. ``I'm probably going to be looked upon as a big key to our success again on the defensive side of the ball.''
But McNeil and the Rams still must bridge the huge distance between their respective offers.
Former Ram Sean Gilbert sat out the 1997 season after refusing to play for Washington's one-year franchise offer. Asked whether his situation could turn out like Gilbert's, McNeil said: ``There are infinite possibilities of this situation . . . but I don't want that to happen and I don't think the Rams want that to happen.
``When a possible resolution, an agreeable resolution, is made or proposed, I think both sides will know, and that's when a deal will get done.''
McNeil said that being tagged a franchise player, although an honor of sorts, is keeping him from being able to attain his true market value.
``I think everybody right now, the fans included, understands that this is a part of the business that is probably not as enjoyable as seeing touchdowns and seeing interceptions, but this is a necessary evil,'' he said. ``It's nothing personal, just business-related, and Coach Vermeil understands that, my coaches understand that, my teammates understand that and I understand that.''
Asked last week about the situation, Vermeil said he respects and appreciates McNeil, but he doesn't invest much time thinking about players who are out of his reach.
``It looks like it's going to take time, and that's just the way it is,'' Vermeil said. ``I'll start worrying about him when he's here.''
If it turns out the situation isn't resolved in time, Vermeil said he may turn to second-year cornerback Dexter McCleon to start in the season opener. Among the Rams' other options is former Philadelphia cornerback Willie Clark, who signed with St. Louis last month.
![]() |
![]() |