Rams News


St. Louis Rams
Team Report posted May 8, 1998

by tsn correspondent JIM THOMAS St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Offensive guard John Gerak will have to fight his way back into the starting lineup this season, but at least he'll have two arms to do so.

Gerak signed a free-agent contract one year ago as a spot starter and backup. But he found himself thrust into a full-time starting role when veteran Gerald Perry walked out of a team meeting 11 days before the '97 season opener and was released.

Gerak made it through all 16 games at left guard despite a dislocated thumb, which he injured in the preseason opener, and an elbow injury that he brought with him from the Minnesota Vikings. Gerak underwent surgery following the season to remove five bone chips and a bone spur from his right elbow.

"The elbow injury was a major handicap for me," Gerak said. "Having two arms that can reach the defender at the same time is going to be good. I lost a lot of blocks last year, because you can only hold a block so long with one arm."

The elbow bothered him some at the end of the '96 season in Minnesota, but really started to trouble him in Rams minicamp last year. The condition of the elbow deteriorated as the season went on. Gerak may not be the most athletic Rams blocker, but he may be their toughest.

Plans call have second-year man Ryan Tucker start training camp as the starting left guard, with Gerak backing up both guard positions.

"Using me as a swing guy, which is what they originally signed me for," Gerak said. "But hopefully, playing healthy, I can go into the preseason and show them a different player."

Right guard is Gerak's natural position anyway, so he could end up pushing Zach Wiegert for the starting job there before all is said and done. . . .

Unless something falls into the Rams' laps after the June 1 round of salary-cap player cuts around the league, the team will enter training cap with basically the same crew on the offensive line.

Coach Dick Vermeil targeted the interior offensive line as a major need entering the offseason. But the Rams made no major acquisitions in that area. They signed free agent John Flannery to a two-year contract to provide depth at guard and push Mike Gruttaduaria at center.

In the draft, they selected Clemson's Glenn Rountree in the sixth round. But that was it. Vermeil had most of the team's offensive linemen over for dinner at his St. Louis condominium shortly before the draft and emphasized that they were a key to the Rams' success in 1998.

"The offensive line is holding us hostage right now," Vermeil said. "If they don't get better, we don't get better."

Wiegert and right tackle Wayne Gandy should be highly motivated because they are in contract years.

The coaches want Gruttaduaria to add bulk and strength. At left guard, Tucker is fully recovered from reconstructive knee surgery that kept him out of nine games last season.

At left tackle, Orlando Pace has been one of the most dedicated Rams during the offseason conditioning program. . . .

The Rams had been closing in on a deal with free agent defensive end Clyde Simmons, but the draft led to a shift in emphasis. After selecting Nebraska end Grant Wistrom in the first round, followed by a pair of linebacker/defensive end 'tweeners in Leonard Little of Tennessee and Jason Chorak of Washington, Vermeil switched gears.

He signed free-agent defensive tackle Joe Phillips, the former Kansas City Chief. The addition of Phillips gives the Rams a four-man rotation at the two defensive tackle spots.

D'Marco Farr, Jeff Zgonina, and newcomer Ray Agnew -- a free-agent acquisition from the New York Giants -- all figure into the mix.

At this point, the only player sure to start among the four is Farr, even though Agnew signed a four-year, $8.1 million contract with the team.

Farr is best at rushing the passer. Agnew and Phillips are stronger on run support than pass defense. Zgonina was tried briefly at offensive guard during informal team workouts earlier this spring, but was shifted back to defense after a few days.

Phillips, who also drew interest from Denver, Oakland and Tennessee, knows his playing time will be limited to running downs.

"My talent over the years has been my strength at the point of attack," Phillips said. "I think that's probably the role I'll fill."




ARCHIVE


HOME

1