Rams News


Rams add ex-Chief to interior line

Wednesday, April 22, 1998

By Jim Thomas
Of The Post-Dispatch


Continuing their efforts to shore up the defensive line, the Rams agreed to terms Tuesday with veteran tackle Joe Phillips. Terms weren't immediately available.

Phillips, 6 feet 5 and 310 pounds, will be added to a defensive tackle group that includes Ray Agnew, D'Marco Farr, Bryan Robinson and Jeff Zgonina. He will turn 35 by training camp in July. But the Rams "looked at some tape, and he still has some gas left in his tank," said vice president of player personnel Charley Armey.

Phillips has been known primarily as a run-stuffer in 12 NFL seasons, the last six with Kansas City. With the addition of Phillips, Armey said, "people are going to have a little tougher time running inside on us."

Phillips has only 23 career sacks, but can push the pocket. As recently as 1996, he recorded 47 quarterback pressures. He started 15 games last season and has 146 career starts. But his role was reduced as second-year man Tom Barndt was rotated into the lineup for Kansas City.

The Rams brought Phillips to Rams Park for a free-agent visit on Feb. 24, shortly after the Chiefs released him. Phillips was cut in part because of salary cap considerations - he would have counted $2.5 million against this year's cap.

Earlier in the offseason, the Rams signed free-agent Agnew from the Giants. In the draft the team selected University of Nebraska defensive end Grant Wistrom, and added defensive end

linebacker 'tweeners Leonard Little and Jason Chorak.

Adding Phillips to the roster probably lessens the Rams' interest in Clyde Simmons.

Coach Dick Vermeil has said the draft addition of Robert Holcombe means the
team no longer is interested in free-agent running back Greg Hill. Armey said
the Rams aren't interested in running back Raymont Harris of Chicago, who has
become an unrestricted free agent because the Bears removed his transition
player designation.



ARCHIVE


HOME

1