![]() |
Rams News |
![]() |
During his sentencing Monday, Tucker said he was sorry about the incident outside a Fort Worth bar on May 11, 1996.
State District Judge Don Leonard sentenced the 22-year-old to a five-year deferred sentence and fined him $5,000. The judge also ordered Tucker to pay $9,677 in restitution and complete 800 hours of community service for his part in the attack.
Bryan Boyd, 23, suffered a fractured skull and partial facial paralysis in the fight. He and his parents have sued Tucker and three other players charged in the incident.
"I'm very sorry that this had to happen," said Tucker, who pleaded no contest to an assault charge. "I'd like to make amends."
In testimony during the trial of one of the other players charged in the incident, William Thompson, witnesses said Boyd challenged the four football players to the fight.
They said at one point Boyd and a friend walked away from the fight, but someone came up behind Boyd and punched him in the head. Boyd began swinging and then at least one of the players grabbed him and threw him into a brick wall, witnesses said.
While Boyd lay on the ground, the players punched and kicked him, the witnesses said.
The victim's mother told Tucker at his sentencing he should be sorry.
"The beginning of restoration is regret and remorse," she said. "You are looked at, because you carry a football, as a hero. Be a hero in your heart, Mr. Tucker."
Thompson was acquitted last month of aggravated assault.
![]() |
![]() |