Rams News


Was sitting out worth it?

Skins' Gilbert sacked in bid to become free agent

Posted: Tue March 24, 1998 at 9:38 AM ET

  Sean Gilbert Gilbert (94) had been attracting offers for as much as $6 million a year   
(Doug Pensinger/Allsport)
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sean Gilbert, who sat out last season in a money dispute with the Washington Redskins, was denied in his bid to become a free agent Monday night.

Special master Jack Friedenthal ruled Gilbert must remain the designated franchise player for the Redskins, who now will try to trade the defensive tackle for at least a first-round pick in next month's draft.

"The Redskins are pleased that the special master has affirmed their position under the collective bargaining agreement," said a statement released by the team.

The ruling could also jeopardize a huge payday for Gilbert, who had attracted offers up to $6 million per year during a recent tour to several teams, including the Super Bowl champion Broncos, the and the Miami Dolphins.

Sports Illlustrated's Peter King says the NFL won in the Gilbert decision, but Gilbert will still get around $5.5 million per year

Gilbert and the NFL Players Union argued the Redskins violated a clause in the collective bargaining agreement that states a club must "have a good faith intention to employ" a franchise player.

A copy of the ruling was not immediately available. Gilbert has refused to comment on the matter. His agent, Gus Sunseri, did not return telephone calls Monday night.

In a hearing last week before Friedenthal -- a dean at the George Washington University Law School -- the NFLPA pointed to a statement made by coach Norv Turner in December. Asked if he thought Gilbert would play for the Redskins again, Turner said: "I'm probably out of line to say it. I don't think that will ever happen."

Then, last month, the Redskins spent $13 million in bonuses to sign two big-name defensive tackles: free agent Dana Stubblefield and Dan Wilkinson, acquired from Cincinnati for first- and third-round draft picks.

The Redskins contended Turner's remark was made in frustration the day after he failed to lead the team to a playoff berth for the fourth consecutive year. Also, general manager Charley Casserly has said the Redskins would be happy to sign Gilbert for its standing offer of $2.882 million, the minimum that can be offered a franchise defensive tackle.

Sean Gilbert The Redskins could get as much as a first- and third-round pick for Gilbert   
(Doug Pensinger/Allsport)
 

"If Gilbert does not want to sign that offer, the Redskins will work with the player to negotiate a trade," the team's statement said.

Sunseri has repeatedly said Gilbert will not play for the minimum tender.

The ruling is a huge victory for the Redskins, who probably would have gone without a first-round pick next month had Gilbert been declared a free agent. Now they should be able to negotiate a trade for not only a first-round selection this year, but as much as a third-round choice next year.

The relationship between the Redskins and Gilbert soured early last year, when the Redskins kept him from becoming a free agent by designating him their franchise player for 1997. The Redskins then offered Gilbert a multiyear contract averaging $4 million per year, but Gilbert wanted at least $4.5 million.

Gilbert will likely end up with more than that, as teams such as Carolina appeared ready to enter a bidding war for his services had he become a free agent. Now, any team that wants him must first negotiate a trade with the Redskins.



ARCHIVE


HOME

1