Rams News


Dolphins present big bid for Gilbert

$5.9 mil a year still may not cut deal

By KEVIN DING and ARMANDO SALGUERO
Herald Sports Writers

Here's how much the Dolphins want Sean Gilbert: They've offered him a contract worth about $5.9 million per year, with a signing bonus of about $8 million -- a package only slightly less than what Miami offered Vikings star John Randle last month.

But that still might not get it done.

Gus Sunseri, Gilbert's agent, said Thursday he had received offers from six teams, and all the offers ``are in about the same area.''

That area is $5.5 million-$6 million per year, according to NFL sources, with Jacksonville and Carolina already having trumped Miami by offering $6 million per year.

This means the Dolphins will need to improve their offer to land Gilbert, because Sunseri made clear Gilbert will go to whomever makes the best offer.

``It could be where someone takes a step forward up from everyone else,'' Sunseri said, ``or it could be one penny more than the others, but he'll take the best offer.''

Gilbert, Washington's standout defensive lineman, has made visits to six teams: Miami, Jacksonville, Carolina, Kansas City, Denver and St. Louis.

Oakland and Dallas are also interested, although the Cowboys won't bid unless Gilbert is ruled a free agent requiring no compensation.

The Dolphins have $4.7 million of salary-cap room, according to a team source, joining the Rams, Jaguars and Panthers -- all of which have at least $3.8 million available -- as the teams best positioned to accept Gilbert. Kansas City, Dallas, Denver and Oakland are already pushing the cap.

If the Dolphins were to land Gilbert, they would use him at defensive end and defensive tackle, according to team sources, just as they would have used Randle.

Gilbert's status stands to affect Dolphins defensive tackle Tim Bowens -- on the field and in Bowens' contract negotiations.

Drew Rosenhaus, Bowens' agent, met with Dolphins Director of Football Operations Bob Ackles on Thursday to work on the long-term deal for Bowens that both sides want. Dolphins Coach Jimmy Johnson sat in on most of the meeting.

Although talks were positive, no deal is imminent because the Dolphins are in no hurry to complete negotiations, Rosenhaus said. Miami has already secured Bowens for 1998 with its franchise tag.

But if the Dolphins do sign Gilbert, it could make for a cap squeeze that leaves Bowens without a new deal. Furthermore, the $5.9 million the Dolphins are throwing at Gilbert is a figure Bowens can't help but notice.

``It certainly is relevant,'' Rosenhaus said. ``What is offered to someone else from the outside who plays the same position, you certainly have to take it into account. I'm very interested to see if they land Gilbert or if they offer him a significant amount of money. Tim is deserving of a fair contract in comparison to all the other top defensive tackles in this league.''

Gilbert isn't expected to choose his destination until late next week, at the earliest. Sunseri expects arbitrator Jack Friedenthal to set Gilbert free or rule him a transition player Monday or Tuesday. If Gilbert does win the case, he can sign elsewhere immediately -- even if the Redskins appeal.

The Carolina and Jacksonville offers ensure Gilbert will join Dana Stubblefield, Warren Sapp and Randle as the NFL's only $6 million men on defense. All three received new deals this off-season.

If you're wondering why Miami weighed in at $5.9 million, one reason could be Dan Marino. The richest per-year contract in Dolphins history went to Marino in 1996, when Johnson gave him a three-year extension worth $17.73 million -- or $5.91 million annually.

Marino has since restructured his deal again, but that '96 contract still represents the financial ceiling for the franchise so far.



ARCHIVE


HOME

1