The 40th Anniversary of the Department of Geology
Chulalongkorn University.


The Department of Geology, Chulalongkorn University was founded in 1959.  However, the course of geology of Chulalongkorn University had been outlined since 1958 by Professor Dr. Th. H. F. Klompe, a Hollander, in co-operation with the Department of Mine (Dept of Mineral Resources).  The first office of the Department of Geology is situated in the same building as the Departments of Biology and Chemistry. In 1959, the Department of Geology moved to the new building which was the same building as the Department of Biology . The department had a small room for library and laboratory.
In 1960, the department moved again to the library building of Faculty of Science. A new lecturer from Holland, Drs. W.F. Beeser, joined the department as a lecturer for 22 years until he was dead in 1982.
In 1961, There were three new lecturers at the department including Tanakarn Pattarakarn, Suparb Poobrasert and Thiwa supajarnya.
In 1962, Prof. Klomp returned back to Holland because of expiration of his contract. A new lecturer from Australia, Dr. K. Abele, joined the department for four years.
In 1964, Mr. Sayan Suitthitawin was a new lecturer.
In 1965, Lecturer Tanakarn Pattarakarn transferred from the department to Chiang Mai University. However, two new lecturers joined the department including lecturer Warunee Buyannanon and lecturer Chaiyudth Khantaprab. The course of the department was changed from the B.Sc. degree of 5 years to the B.Sc. degree of 4 years.
In 1966, Ass. Prof. Sawai Soontarowat transferred from Chiang Mai University to the Department of Geology. In addition, three new lecturers joined the department including Mr. Wasan Pongsapich, Mr. Narong Thiramongkol and a four-year contract lecturer from Scotland, Mr. C.K. Burton.
In 1967, the department of geology moved to the new office (present building). Two new lecturers, Mr. Wirog Daorok and Mr. Pongsak Pongprayun, joined the department.
In 1968, Mr. Sompop Wechakarnchana and Mr. Noppadon Muangnoicharoen became lecturers at the department.
In 1970, Ass. Prof. Sawai Soontarowat was elected to be the first head of the department. The department was supported a scholarship, namely Chulalongkorn Geology Scholarship, by a private company.
In 1971, Dr. C.V. Campbell a new lecturer from Canada joined the department for two years. In 1973, Mr. Wisuit Pisuittaarnon became a new lecturer of the department.
In 1977, Dr. Chaiyuth Khantaprab was elected to be the second head of the department. The course for Master' s degree was first started.
In 1978, Miss Malatee Taiyacoop and Mr. Somchai Sriissaraporn became lecturers.
In 1979, Mr. Panya Charusiri became a new lecturer. Dr. Nopadon Muangnoicharoen was elected to be the third head of the department.
In 1980, Lecturer Dr. Warunee Thiramongkol transferred from the Department of Geology to the Ministry of Science and Technology.
In 1981, Mr. Sombat Yumuang joined the department as a new lecturer and  Ass. Prof. Dr. Malai Palahan transferred from Chaiang Mai University to the department.
In 1983, Ass. Prof. Dr. Wasun Pongsapich was elected to be the fourth head of the department.
In 1987, Ass. Prof. Thiwa Supajarnya was elected to be the fifth head of the department.  Ass. Prof. Sawai Soontarowat retired from the department.
In 1988, Dr. Chaiyudth Khantaprab was selected to be the head of department for the second time.
In 1990, Dr. Thanawat Jarupongsakul became a new lecturer.
In 1991, Ass. Prof. Somchai Sriissaraporn resigned from the department.
In 1992, Ass. Prof. Sompop Wetchakanchana was selected to be the sixth head of the department and  Ass. Prof. Suparb Poobrasert retired.
In 1995, Dr. Somchai Nakapadungrat and Mr. Chakkapan Suitthirat transferred from the Dept. of Mineral Resources to the department of geology and Mr. Montri Chuwong also became a new lecturer of  the department.
In 1996, Fund for development of the department of geology was founded by the lecturer group and the Chulalongkorn University Geological Alumni. Dr. Narong Thiramongkol became the seventh  head of department.
In1998,  the course for PhD. was first approved. Dr. Somchai Nakapadungrat became the eighth head of department. Dr. Narong Thiramongkol retired. Prof. Dr. Michio Hashizume who had retired from UNESCO became a prof. of the department.
In 1999, the Master course of Earth Science was first started.

  1