PNP and PRO6 Logo Salakot in Cyberspace First EditionSalakot Journal
Home | Events | Projects | Journals | Links | Feedback | About us 
 
General InfoBottomPRO6 Commanders
 
History of PRO6
 
           The Police Regional Office 6 traces its roots from defunctLooking Back Philippine Constabulary (PC) and the different local police forces in the Philippines. In 1975, these were integrated pursuant to Presidential Decree No. 765 with the Philippine Constabulary as its nucleus. The emerging organization become known as Philippine Constabulary/ Integrated National Police (PC/INP). The set-up of this organization followed the organization with four (4) Philippine Constabulary Zones and with Provincial Commands in each provinces.  

          The First PC Zone (1PCZ) covers central and northern Luzon. Second PC Zone (2PCZ) covers Southern Tagalog and Bicol Regions. The Third PC Zone (3PCZ) has three (3) regions in the Visayas as its area of operational responsibility, and the Fourth PC Zone (4PCZ) covers the whole Mindanao.  

          PC/INP Regional Command 6 was born on the heels of the election and organization of the Interim Batasang Pambansa. Its birth comes on the basis of several Presidential Letter of Instructions. Foremost of which was PLOI 382 dated 11 March 1976 which called for the sustained restructuring, renovation and strengthening of the then Department of National Defense and the Armed Forces of the Philippines to enable the whole organization to cope more effectively with its continuing crucial role in meeting new and expanding challenges in both domestic and national security requirements.  

          Two years and two months thereafter PLOI 689 dated 11 May 1978 specifically called for the regionalization of the PC/INP Command to conform with the socio-political subdivisions of the country. Considering the need for closer coordination and cooperation with other government agencies, the PC/INP was reorganized along the regional concept. The former 3rd PC Zone was divided into three (3) PC/INP Regional Commands, namely: PC/INP Regional Command 6 with headquarters at Camp Martin Delgado, Iloilo City; PC/INP Regional Command 7 with headquarters at Camp Sergio Osmeña, Cebu City; and, PC/INP Regional Command 8 with headquarters at Camp September 21st Movement, Palo, Leyte.  

          In 1990, the Philippine Congress enacted Republic Act No. 6975, which deactivated the PC/INP and replace it with Philippine National Police (PNP) effective 01 January 1991. The former PC/INP Regional Commands were renamed as Police Regional Offices in October 1996. Thus, the former PC/INP Regional Command 6 became Police Regional Office 6.  
  

Martin Delgado  

        PRO6 headquarters is based at Camp Martin Delgado, Iloilo City since its creation in 1978. The camp adapted its name from one of the greatest revolutionaries, a valiant soldier, leader, good politician and a hero in the Visayas who fought against the Spaniards during the Spanish era. Martin Delgado. At 25, he became Tiente Mayor, Capitan Municipal and Juez de Paz of Sta. Barbara, Iloilo. He was popularly known as Tan Delgado to the Spaniards and to his fellowmen. In May 4, 1889, he was declared as Capitan de los Voluntarios in his hometown. In that same year, the revolutionaries of Capiz and Antique were driven out by the Spanish Forces forcing them to retreat to Iloilo and be united with other brave Ilonggos. They formed a group called "Comite Conspirador." This organization was tasked to take charge in the uprising against Spain in Iloilo. These young Ilonggos were: Martin Delgado, Roque Lopez, Raymundo Melliza, Ramon Avacencia, Fernando Salas, Fernando Villanueva, Angel Cortez, Jovito Yusay, and  Teresa Magbanua.  

          Delgado was then the captain of the Cuerpo Voluntarios, and organization formed to help and support Spain. Most of the members of the unit of the Cuerpo, like Martin, were active members of the Comite Conspirador. This unit encouraged the mass conscription for the Ilonggo Revolutionary Army. In October 1898, Tan Delgado headed the revolutionary army and liberated the province of Iloilo including Iloilo City and Jaro Molo, where the Spanish Forces ditched their last stand.  
  

Ilonggo's Heritage: Fort San Pedro  

          Today, Camp Martin Delgado as well as several government agencies maintain their respective offices within Fort San Pedro, Iloilo City or otherwise called Fort Nuestra Senora del Rosario. It was built between 1603 and 1616. Stones for its wall was cut out of Guimaras rocks and coral stones from along the Panay Coast.  

          The Fort followed the design then in vogue for military fortifications particularly found in Europe and Spain. It measures 60 x 60 meters with battlements jutting out each corner two of which look in Guimaras strait since Fort San Pedro was planned to defend from invading forces expected to come by the sea. The wall is approximately 12 feet high from low tide of the sea and 30 feet thick. The almost solid battlements tunnels out for drainage's armory and stores also contained living spaces with underground dungeons.  

          Dutch Squadron inaugurated the Fort in 1617 that repulse after help from Manila came. It was after this action that the fort commander who survived, crawling through ruins of the wall at some point and what remained of some structures that were burned by Dutch incendiary flares, found a statue of the Virgin of the Holy Rosary and in honor a thanksgiving mass was celebrated.  

          The Fort served as a sentinel for the town and province of Iloilo. Using coconut trunks tied to one another and ringed the walls with sand bags between the palisades, the Fort afforded protection against improved explosives fired from cannons. 

          In February 1899, United States navy ships bombarded the Fort and has taken it. From 1900 to 1941, the Fort served as a garrison for the Armed Forces and the Constabulary. During the War with the Japanese, it was used to camp the surrenderees and captured USAFFE forces operating in Panay. In the first few weeks of March 1945 the Fort, the city and all Japanese principal installations was devastated by the bombers and ships  of the returning United States forces. 

          After the war, the city authorities decided to clear the Fort side of shambles after they had reconciled themselves to the fact that the fort was no more. 

          The role played by the Fort in the history of Iloilo City hinges well to the idea of creating a heightened sense of awareness linking the past to the city and its people of today. It provides a living reminders to the Ilonggos of their heritage, their cultural and spiritual roots. As a tourist attraction, the fort provides the orientation for the easy understanding of the distinctive characteristic, the ambiance and the aura of Iloilo. 

          Fort San Pedro or Fort Nuestra Señora del Rosario represents only a portion of the Ilonggos Heritage - that of the colonial period, but it represents many use of evolution and changes that had shaped and influenced the city itself and its people. Fort San Pedro which has stood the time retaining to Iloilo, now emblazoned on the zeal of the city, as a mute testimony but vivid reminder of the significance of the Fort to the identity of this "La Muy Leal Y Noble Ciudad."  
 

 
 General InfoTopPRO6 Commanders
 
 
Home | Events | Projects | Journals | Links | Feedback | About us
 
last updated 98/05/24
Your comments and suggestions are most welcome!
mail us
 
 

This page hosted by  Get your own Free Homepage
  1