Graceland
Graceland stands on 13 3/4 acres. It was originally a farmhouse
built in the early 1860's on 500 acres in Whitehaven by publisher
S.E Toof of the Memphis Daily Appeal who named it after
his daughter, Grace. The present building was built in 1939 by Dr.
Thomas and Ruth Moore Thomas, niece of Grace Toof. It was
constructed of Tennessee and Mississippi limestone in the Georgian
colonial style, with Corinthian columns on the front portico.
Ruth, their daughter a professional musician sold Graceland to Elvis.
She had been letting the Christian Graceland Church use it for
services.
When Elvis bought Graceland, it consisted of the two-story house, a
barn and a small smokehouse. He renovated the buidings and grounds
extensively, painted the exterior blue and gold the mansion positively
glows at night, and added on the Trophy and Jungle Rooms. He
built a stone fence and wrought-iron gate other outbuidingsa carport a a swimming pool and bath house, a garden and a racquetball court. Graceland would ultimately have 35 rooms in all.
Graceland is now the second most visited house in America next to the White House.
© 1997 alfayez4@aol.com
This page hosted by
Get your own Free Home Page