|
From Straits Times, Singapore 30th December 1999
Editorial : Stop the clobbering
THE nominee status of Singapore's Central Depository (CDP) for Clob investors expires tomorrow, and there is no word yet from the Malaysian authorities whether they will extend it. If not, Malaysian Finance Minister Daim Zainuddin has said his country's laws allow the Clob shares to be transferred to his ministry for their eventual disposal. Singapore disputes this reading of the Malaysian laws. It says the Malaysian Central Depository is obliged to transfer the shares to the accounts of Clob investors, whether or not the CDP's nominee status is extended after Dec 31, 1999. Clob investors, it says, can seek legal recourse in the Malaysian courts to block Tun Daim's move. If the Malaysians are really serious about wanting to resolve the dispute fairly and amicably, the obvious thing to do now is to extend the CDP's nominee status. This makes sense, particularly when various private-sector proposals are being considered to settle the issue. What is certain is this. Whether the Singapore CDP remains the nominee, or whether the shares get transferred to the Malaysian Finance Ministry, the 172,000 Clob investors are, in any case, fully entitled to exercise their legal rights to the shares.
Contrary to what Kuala Lumpur says, Clob International, launched in 1990 as an offshore over-the-counter market in Singapore, was not and has never been an illegal market for Malaysian securities under the laws of the two countries. Thus, the Malaysian government, which introduced capital controls last year to deal with the Asian financial crisis, cannot walk away from a situation it had created and leave the hapless Clob investors in limbo. It is now 16 months since their shares were frozen. For the sake of Malaysia's own credibility, it must respect contracts and honour the agreement signed between the Singapore and Kuala Lumpur stock exchanges. Needless to say, serious investors the world over and international rating agencies are watching closely to see how the issue is resolved. It is not just the Clob shares, valued at RM17 billion (S$7.48 billion), that are at stake. Malaysia's reputation also hangs in the balance. To be sure, the mistreatment of Clob investors will long be remembered. If the rules are observed, Malaysia should not discriminate against, much less deprive, legitimate investors of their shares.
Malaysia's actions clearly contravene the World Trade Organisation's rules. The Singapore Government has said that it is prepared to bring its case to the WTO unless a fair and comprehensive solution is found. This, plus recourse to legal action, will be the last resort if all else fails to convince the Malaysians to free the frozen shares. In view of its fears about panic selling and disruptions in the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange, the Securities Investors Association of Singapore, which represents more than 50,000 Clob investors, has proposed that the release of the shares into individual accounts be supervised and staggered over one year.
Clob investors will have to decide for themselves what they want to do in the face of various proposals to buy over their Malaysian shares. It is wise for them to stick together for now, and they should neither be rushed nor pushed into any deals. For Malaysia, more foot-dragging will have repercussions on its image at a time when it is trying hard to attract foreign capital back to the country. Clob investors had put their money in Malaysian companies in good faith. They have every right to expect to be treated as legitimate shareholders and nothing less.
http://straits-times.asia1.com.sg/
Back Home
|
|