Anwar condemns tough police crackdown on planned rally by supporters

KUALA LUMPUR, April 13 (AFP) - Malaysia's jailed ex-deputy premier Anwar Ibrahim accused the "ruling clique" of intimidating his supporters in a bid to thwart a planned mass protest Saturday against his treatment.

Police announced unprecedentedly tough moves to prevent the "illegal" gathering, including roadblocks on highways to the capital and checks on railway passengers.

They have threatened opposition leaders with arrest if the protest goes ahead to mark the first anniversary of Anwar's sentencing to six years' jail.

Organisers have posted on the internet a highly detailed schedule of the event, including train, bus and light railway timings, route maps and details of where various opposition supporters will join trains nationwide.

"The unsolicited warnings cum threats from police chiefs regarding the proposed peaceful gathering are most deplorable," Anwar said on Thursday in a handwritten statement distributed by family members during his current sex trial.

"The police must act professionally and not behave arrogantly as political agents or tools for the corrupt ruling clique."

Anwar said police constantly refused permits to hold peaceful gatherings -- necessary under Malaysian law which tightly restricts rallies.

In an apparent reference to Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's claim that supporters of his party are planning a riot, Anwar said violence must not be condoned.

"Similarly the ruling clique must respect the citizens and not use the instruments of government including the police to harass, intimidate and provoke members of the public."

Tian Chua, vice president of the National Justice Party (Keadilan) founded by Anwar's wife, said activists from non-government organisations and the Alternative Front opposition alliance would gather at train stations nationwide from Friday night.

Tian, facing a jail term if convicted of previous public assembly offences, told AFP that supporters would gather at Kuala Lumpur central station around 2.30 pm (0630 GMT) Saturday and proceed to the national mosque.According to the Internet schedule, protesters will march on to the national palace in the early evening to deliver a memorandum to the king on Anwar's treatment.

Tian said he expected at least 6,000 to 10,000 people to take part."It's an important test to defend the rule of law and the right to public assembly," he said. "We will go ahead despite the warnings."

City police chief Kamarudin Ali said Wednesday reinforcements had been brought in from outside the capital and roads would be closed if a march to the palace goes ahead.

Thursday's New Straits Times quoted him as saying that two unidentified opposition leaders "can be detained over the next 72 hours before the matter gets out of control, if the situation warrants it."

Kamarudin said the Internal Security Act which allows detention without trial would be used as a "last resort."

Nik Ismail Nik Yusoff, police chief of Selangor state surrounding the city, said checkpoints would be set up on roads into Kuala Lumpur and train and bus stations would be watched to stop protesters.

Newspapers quoted him as saying that four senior Keadilan members whom he did not name were expected to be charged soon for taking part in assemblies held this month without a police permit.

The People's Manifesto Initiative, a group of non-governmental organisations, criticised what it called attempts to intimidate people from exercising their constitutional right to peaceful assembly.

"We don't want statements that put fear into the public," its statement said.

Water cannon and tear gas were used on protesters after Anwar was sentenced on April 14, 1999, and to break up a pro-Anwar crowd last September at the national mosque.

Anwar was convicted of abusing his powers to cover up allegations of sexual misconduct. He is now on trial for sodomy, punishable by up to 20 years.He says he was framed because he threatened to expose corruption and was seen as a political threat to Mahathir.

 

Back Home

1