The Mabinogion: MAHB-in-OG-yon

A collection of Welsh tales first preserved in the Peniarth manuscripts (ca 1200?), then the White Book of Rhydderch (Llyfyr Gwyn Rhydderch) written about 1300-1325; and later in the Red Book of Hergest (Llyfyr Coch o Hergest), written between 1375-1400. Most scholars believe that all but the three "romances" date to the tenth or eleventh century, and are based on much early mythology.

The name is a misnomer, as the word "mabinogion" doesn't exist in Welsh. It was a mistake made by the scribe, existing only at the end of Pwyll pendeuc Dyfed. The real word is "mabinogi," which some translate as "tales for youth," "tales of the Mabon" and "tales of the hero." They derive this meaning from "mabon" or "meibon"--meaning a young man or youth. It is also the name of a god, Mabon ap Modron. This name only applies to the first four tales.

The tales can be divided into four sections (five if one includes the story of Taliesin):

When Lady Charlotte Guest translated the books, she added the story Hanes Taliesin; however, the manuscript from which that story comes is quite late in date, possibly the sixteenth or seventeenth centuries.

There have been four translations into English:

Aside from being one of the only real preservation of Welsh mythology (the other being The Welsh Triads, also found in the Red and White Books), the Mabinogion has influenced:

James Joyce mentions the book in Ulysses, in the same breath with the Upanishads. 1