September 20, 1999
World
Reprisal in East Timor
Gunmen terrorize Indonesia's province after its overwhelming
vote to separate
BY WARREN CARAGATA in JAKARTA with ANDREW PHILLIPS in WASHINGTON,
TOM FENNELL in TORONTO and LUKE FISHER in OTTAWA
First came the assurances. Indonesian military officials visited the
seaside compound of Roman Catholic Bishop Carlos Belo in the East
Timor capital of Dili early last week, telling Belo -- and the thousands of
refugees who had crowded into the bishop's spacious garden seeking
his protection -- they would be safe from attack by rampaging
pro-Jakarta militias. Just hours later, without warning, the assurance of
sanctuary disappeared as gunmen attacked the compound. "They were
firing automatic weapons and throwing Molotov cocktails," an
eyewitness told Maclean's. "Everyone was screaming, shouting and
crying, 'Bishop, Bishop, help us.' "
Belo, powerless to stem the bloodbath that engulfed the tiny half-island
of East Timor last week, fled to Australia. By the end of the week, so
had all but about 80 members of the United Nations mission that had
pledged to stay by the side of the East Timorese if they voted -- as they
did, by an overwhelming 79 per cent -- to separate from Indonesia in an
Aug. 30 referendum. Dili, normally a city of 100,000, lay looted and
burning, all but deserted except for the anti-independence militiamen --
strongly suspected to be organized and armed by the Indonesian
military -- and by the soldiers themselves, ostensibly there to bring
about order.
UN officials estimated that 200,000 of East Timor's 800,000 people
had fled or had been forcibly removed to neighbouring Indonesian West
Timor -- and that possibly as many as 7,000 more had been murdered.
Heads severed by machetes were on display on tall spikes in Dili, a
chilling signal to the people of East Timor, and other separatist groups
within the sprawling, ethnically diverse Indonesian archipelago, that their
struggles for independence will be resisted. "There is arson and looting
and shots can be heard on the streets," said Brig.-Gen. Togar Sianipar,
a police spokesman. "It is chaos." To outside observers, the
comparisons to the ethnic cleansing that devastated the Serbian
province of Kosovo as the international community pondered its options
early this year became tragically obvious. All week, Indonesia rebuffed
pressures for an international force to intercede to stop the terror,
insisting it had matters in hand.
At UN headquarters in New York City, and at a 21-nation Asia-Pacific
Economic Co-operation summit in New Zealand, East Timor
dominated discussions. In Auckland, seven countries stepped forward
to form a so-called Coalition of the Willing to help restore peace.
Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Britain, the Philippines and
Portugal all gave firm commitments to join any UN-mandated
peacekeeping force in East Timor -- but were clearly reluctant to
commit troops against Indonesia's wishes. Their caution only increased
as rumours spread in Jakarta of an impending military coup, raising
fears that the government of President B. J. Habibie could fall, taking
with it the country's fledgling experiment with democracy. One scenario
had Gen. Wiranto, the soft-spoken, strong-willed defence minister and
army chief of staff, heading a ruling triumvirate. But even as Habibie
abruptly abandoned plans to attend the APEC forum in New Zealand,
Indonesian authorities insisted his government was secure.
The international community had clear warnings that violence would
ensue if the referendum went in favour of independence. Kerry Pither,
spokesman for the East Timor Alert Network, an Ottawa-based lobby
group, alerted Canadian Embassy officials in Jakarta in August after
she and a small group of Canadians toured East Timor on a fact-finding
mission. "Everywhere we went people told us they would vote for
independence," she said last week. "But they also said they would be
killed if peacekeepers were not sent in."
No one seemed exempt from the bloody backlash. In the southern town
of Suai, a stronghold for the militias, gunmen attacked a church where
refugees took shelter. In the northern coastal city of Baucau, they
besieged a local monastery. Injured, Bishop Basilio Nascimento joined
thousands of others fleeing into the mountains for an uncertain refuge. In
Dili, rampaging crowds sacked the offices of the Red Cross.
The UN mission's ability to monitor the situation deteriorated quickly. By
midweek, its staff was hunkered in a single compound, along with 2,500
terrified East Timorese. On Thursday, the military allowed several trucks
to replenish the compound with food and water, but in the absence of
assurances for their safety, more than half of the East Timorese crept
out under cover of darkness to seek safety in the hills. On Friday, the
British head of the mission, Ian Martin, boarded a truck to the airport
and a flight to Australia, leaving only a skeleton crew behind. Within
minutes, as soldiers watched, men with hand grenades arrived to
menace the remaining contingent and 1,000 terrified people taking
refuge there. Militiamen were looting and destroying United Nations
vehicles in a lot beside the compound.
To the pro-independence movement, the prospect of a complete UN
withdrawal was frightening. Arsenio Ramos-Horta, younger brother of
Jose Ramos-Horta, a prominent independence activist who shared the
1996 Nobel Peace Prize with Belo, told Maclean's that if the United
Nations pulls out, "it would be the death sentence for East Timor." As of
last week, the independence movement's Fretilin guerrillas remained in
their mountain hideouts. In Jakarta, Xanana Gusmao, a leader of the
independence forces who was captured in 1992 and freed from house
arrest last week, issued assurances that the guerrillas would not join the
fighting. "They are determined," he said, "not to make any gesture
which could be seen as waging civil war" -- and provoking a harsher
crackdown. Said Canada's ambassador in Jakarta, Ken Sunquist: "It
must be difficult to watch your brothers being killed."
Until last week's carnage, more people had died this year in another
challenge to the Indonesian federation -- in the longstanding unrest in
the northern Sumatra province of Aceh, where separatists want to
create a fundamentalist Muslim state. Anti-Indonesian feelings also run
high in Irian Jaya, the western half of New Guinea, which Indonesia
annexed in 1969. As well, clashes in Ambon, part of the country's
Moluccas Islands, are partly motivated by local Christian opposition to
Muslim migration from Java. Activists from Aceh and Irian Jaya
demanded their own independence referendums, but are unlikely to get
them. Jakarta, says Christopher Dagg, an Indonesia expert at Simon
Fraser University in Burnaby, B.C., sees the two provinces as "an
integral part of the country." And unlike impoverished East Timor, they
are rich in resources, including gas and oil.
While the world sympathizes with the plight of East Timor, said
Sunquist, most countries have no desire to see Indonesia split apart.
The world's most populous Muslim nation, Indonesia is a key Asian
supplier of raw materials including oil, copper and nickel. It also sits
astride trade routes linking the Pacific and Indian oceans. For the rest
of the world, says Dagg, "political and commercial interests are at
stake." Early in the crisis, U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
appeared ready to invoke the so-called Clinton doctrine that emerged
from the Kosovo crisis -- that troops should be sent in to stop genocide
wherever it occurs. At week's end, President Bill Clinton suspended
U.S. military sales to Jakarta in an attempt to secure Indonesia's
agreement to an international peacekeeping force. "Because we
bombed Kosovo does not mean we should bomb Dili," said White
House security adviser Sandy Berger. "Indonesia is undergoing a
fragile political and economic transformation." An outraged Jose
Ramos-Horta made his disappointment clear. "The West bombed
Serbia back to the Stone Age in the name of human rights," said the
Nobel laureate. "Now what is to be the fate of East Timor?"
That left the prospect of economic sanctions against Indonesia, which
Axworthy and other international leaders said were still under
discussion. Officials at the World Bank said Jakarta's handling of East
Timor could affect its access to the $1.8 billion that the financial agency
is scheduled to lend Indonesia this year. "People are right in
demanding that something be done," said Axworthy, "but the question
is what is in the realm of possibilities now."
East Timor independence activist Pither says the answer is simple:
Ottawa should immediately drop a $280-million aid package it agreed
to last year, and stop all commercial dealings with Indonesia. Although
Canada suspended military shipments to that country last year, Walter
Dorn, a Canadian expert on Indonesian affairs at Cornell University,
says he believes Canadian-made weapons may still be getting through.
The events in East Timor have put profound pressures on global
support for a strong, unified Indonesia. "I do not think the world can turn
a blind eye," said Ambassador Sunquist. Clearly, it will take more than
sympathy to help the East Timorese in their quest for independence.
|